Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Should we go to Alaska this summer or someplace else ?

Old Jan 12th, 2014, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone,
We are a family of 4, 2 adults in early 40s and 2 kids ages 12 and 8.5. We are fairly well travelled , take 2 big trips every year. My kids are also well travelled.

We are in the process of deciding on our summer vacation this year. Alaska is one of the places on the list.

But lot of questions though: we want to combine rocky mountaineer train journey with Alaska. At the same time , we are not cruisers. Should we consider big ships, or small ships (like un-cruise) or completely on land ?

I am looking for a memorable trip with great experiences for all of us. We are not traveling on a budget, flexible on how much we can spend.

Any input and suggestions are highly appreciated

Thanks
Shubha
Old Jan 12th, 2014, 05:08 PM

I would suggest spending 2-3 days in Denali. Take an air tour/glacier landing there too.

I would also suggest spending 3 days or so in Kenai Fjords. Take the all day tour to the glaciers. You might want to go seakayaking there or even do that as an overnight tour.

Ride the train to/from Anchorage to Seward/Kenai Fjords.

Consider going dogsledding/helicopter tour/glacier landing from Girdwood. Spend a night or two at Alyeska.

Consider going for a day Salmon Fishing on a flyout floatplane trip. Could do as a day trip or an overnight.

You might want to do Katmai and see the bears at Brooks Falls.

Alaska is pretty expensive, but it is a fantastic place to see.

I really want to go to Wrangell/St. Elias and spend some time there.
Old Jan 12th, 2014, 06:17 PM

spiro has given you the kind of advice I would advocate. I will confess not to be a cruise person, I think you could see more traveling on your own. There are day trips on boats that will take you to some of the places with lots of wildlife and you can get closer to the glaciers calving from the smaller boats.

Alaska is beautiful and has lots of diversity. If you use the box at the top that says view by state, you can click on Alaska and find lots of trip reports that will give you an idea of the possibilities for your trip.
Old Jan 12th, 2014, 08:26 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
How many days are you able to allocate to the Alaska part of your holiday?
Old Jan 13th, 2014, 01:30 AM

Cruise is a must. As a Brit who has done it twice, Alaska is huge and beautiful, with lots of wildlife which is seem from the boat.

With children, they may prefer the larger boats, but you go to a different small town each day. We took trips from these towns, to see bears, bald eagles breeding and whales. Can also take a wonderful steam train journey.

Last time we hired a car and drove to Homer, which is an interesting drive and stood next to WILD Grissley bears eating salmon - wonderful. Homer has craft shops, lots of fishing and good wildlife.

As a Senior who has been lucky to travel the world, it is one of our most memorable holidays.
Old Jan 13th, 2014, 03:01 AM

It would be great from a ship, but a cruise is not "a must". If I had to pick cruise or land, I would go with just land.
Old Jan 13th, 2014, 03:36 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the great responses. We can allocate about 10 days to 2 weeks max for the trip.

Also, is it too soon for my son 8.5yr old at the time of the trip to see Alaska ?
Old Jan 13th, 2014, 03:38 AM
Original Poster

Spiro, do you have a trip report on Alaska ? Thanks for your advice.

Our other choice is Hawaii.

Debating between the two
Old Jan 13th, 2014, 06:33 AM

The thing about cruising is that it affords plenty of activities for the kids, while giving the parents some “alone time” if so desired. The big ships have many kids’ programs, childcare services, targeted activities, a vast array of food choices (we don’t know your kids obviously but that can be a concern to many parents) and – they can’t get far. Yes, it’s mass-market tourism, and there are plenty of excursions or activities that are aimed purely to remove money from your wallet, but the cruise in of itself – accommodations, inclusiveness, food… is quite reasonably priced when you add everything up.

In the case of Alaska, with 10 days and a cruise you really don’t have enough land time, since the cruises all last a week. With 14 days, you have enough time to include some land-based activities in southcentral or interior Alaska, such as Denali, the Kenai Peninsula, maybe a fishing trip… various things.

One of the best reasons for the cruise vs. an all-land trip is that the cruise traverses Southeast Alaska and the Inside Passage, a completely different environment than one sees in southcentral or Interior Alaska. Those who cruise only miss the amazing interior; those who only drive miss the magical, watery world of SE Alaska. Seeing both is better.

Is 8 ½ too young for Alaska? Definitely not, in my view. The bus rides in Denali Park might be a little long, but the hikes to glaciers, the wildlife, the view from a flightseeing plane… all right in the 8-yo’s “wheelhouse.” When our son was 8 and we were living in Alaska, we went all over – fly-in camping and fishing trips, walks in the woods, trout and salmon fishing… he loved it. No worries.

With 10 days I’d fly to Anchorage and rent a car; allocate 4 days to Denali Park, 4 for the Kenai Peninsula, and the last two to greater Anchorage, including a glacier cruise out of Whittier and a flightseeing day out of Lake Hood (world’s largest floatplane base, in Anchorage.)

With two weeks (and coming in on the Rocky Mountaineer) I’d cruise 7 days from Vancouver to Seward or Whittier, then take 3 days for the Kenai, 3 for Denali, and 1 for Anchorage, again, using a rental car.

Of course you can’t see it all, but it will be a terrific introduction.
Old Jan 13th, 2014, 07:29 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
As an alternative to the Rocky Mountaineer, you could ride on the Alaska Railroad. http://www.alaskarailroad.com/travel...ampaign=022713
Alaska an Hawaii are the two states I have not yet visited. I can't afford the Rocky Mountaineer, but have ridden the ViaRail Canadian several times to Jasper and rented a car there.
MY dream trip would be to fly to Hawaii, Spend a few days and then fly from there to Alaska and ride the train to see Denali among other things.
Old Jan 13th, 2014, 08:53 AM

If you aren't cruisers, then I would not consider visiting Alaska on a cruise ship. I hope to visit Alaska soon on a cruise, but that's because I enjoy cruises AND because I've already visited Alaska by land, which I highly recommend.

Your 8.5 year old child is definitely not too young for this trip. We took our son when he was 8.5 years old and he had a fun time. We did not have the time or the budget to do the things Spirobulldog suggests, so if you can include some or all of those, then both of your children should have an AMAZING time in Alaska.
Old Jan 13th, 2014, 09:41 AM

I'm not sure what has happened to my TR's before 2009. I thought I did one, but can't find it on here now.

Here is a link to our photos though
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...0IatW7FqybsWq6

I have not been to Denali. My parents did a cruise. I think they did about 6 ot 7 days on the cruise and then 10 days on land. They even flew to Barrow(nearly got fogged in for several days with no place to stay). The highlight for them was the glacier landing(from Talkeetna to McKinnley)

We flew into Anchorage. Drove to Soldotna and did a flyout/cruise/bear viewing with http://www.highadventureair.com/
This was a water landing/takeoff in a bushplane.Went to Wolverine creek and saw millions(so think you could have reached out and picked one up)of Salmon. A person could easily catch their limit in a matter of minutes. We saw grizzly from a distance. Stopped counting the eagles and black bears after 20. Eagles and black bears within feet of the boat(just look at the pics) We were there the first week of July. Different salmon and salmon runs occur at different spots at different times throughout the season--let your guide tell you where to go.

Spent a day/night at Alyeska in Girdwood. Took the tram to the top and had Salmon Chowder. Did a guided Glacier Hike there with http://www.ascendingpath.com/ . Had a good meal at the Hibachi style restaurant in the hotel. We did a helicopter/glacier landing/dog sledding(the real kind on snow, not the one that pulls you around on dirt and wheels) with http://www.alpineairalaska.com/

Went seakayaking with http://www.kayakak.com/ You might not be able to tell in the photos, but the kayaking was at like 10:00pm and it was like a bright day still. Pretty much daylight for 22 hours and the other 2 hours are just like twilight.

We did an all day tour of Kenai Fjords out to a glacier. Saw tons of marine wildlife (humpbacks, porpoise, etc). Calving Glaciers are aweseome!

We drove one way from Anchorage to Seward and then took the train back to Anchorage before boarding our midnight flight back home.

The one thing I might do differently would be to take an overnight kayak tour to one of the glaciers in Kenai Fjords instead of the bigger boat. Don't get me wrong, the larger ship was fantastic, but just to experience the sound of the glacier on my own, instead of 100 people would have been worth it to go all out. You would need to be pretty adventurous for that though. We also hiked to Exit Glacier while in Seward.

We did have a very close call with a bear. Came within 2 feet of hitting one in our car. He was huge and just ran across the road in front of us when we were going about 55mph.

We have been to about 35 of our National Parks and have been in about 40 states. We haven't been to Hawaii. Nothing even comes close to the beauty of Alaska.

My parents did their trip in August, btw. They didn't do a single thing that we did, but they enjoyed it also. They enjoyed the cruise, but enjoyed the land much more.
Old Jan 13th, 2014, 09:44 AM

We have always taken our daughter(almost age 20 now) on nearly all of our trips with us. Different ages experience thing differently. I can't imagine someone not enjoying it.
Old Jan 13th, 2014, 09:47 AM

Go to Alaska!!!!! Sooo incredible!!!!!

Check out my trip report from a few summers ago. We too were traveling with our kids 11 and 8 at the time.

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...or-2-weeks.cfm
Old Jan 13th, 2014, 10:04 AM

Well, for some reason, my train photos aren't showing up. The train from Seward to Anchorage was awesome! Just about 4 or 5 hours is the right amount of time before you start getting bored. We did have a meal on the train too.

My parents did the train from Anchorage to Denali. I'm not sure, but I think ours was probably a bit more scenic and it isn't as long of a ride.
Old Jan 13th, 2014, 10:44 AM

If you are not travelling on a budget, then I would recommend a small ship cruise. The reviews for those cruises are amazing. But even people who do not enjoy cruises on large ships enjoy cruising Alaska. It is the most efficent way of seeing SE Alaska. At each port you would need to schedule day trips--and I would not do that through the cruiseline. I would do that independently. I would recommend a one way cruise from Vancouver that includes Glacier Bay---Holland America or Princess. I have not done a cruise to Alaska but I have researched them. A cruise is on my list of future trips.

If you prefer to rent a car and do a land trip, click on Alaska and find Enzian's trip report. She took the trip I would have loved to have taken. We did a more budget trip. If you click on my name, you can find our trip report from last summer. Enzian's trip included stays at Kenai Fjords Glacier Lodge and Camp Denale inside Denali National Park. If I wasn't on a budget, I would have loved to have stayed at both those places. Staying in Denali eliminates the long bus ride into the park.

If money is no object, then go to Alaska. It is actually getting a little late to plan a roadtrip if you are on a budget. Car rentals in Alaska are very expensive and get more expensive the closer you get to your travel dates.

Alaska and Hawaii are both beautiful places to visit. You can't go wrong.
Old Jan 13th, 2014, 11:11 AM

The problem with small-ship cruises is they're really not particularly geared to kids. The big ships, for all the glitz, have plenty of things to keep kids occupied. At the ports - if you choose - there are all sorts of excursions that kids love - ziplines, whale watching, fishing... And on board, they have movies, game rooms, sports...

I wanted to come back to the first post, and add some additional thoughts. The OP said Hawaii was also under consideration, so maybe a little "what if" thinking might be in order.

If you're coming from the Canadian Rockies, you might have had your fill of mountains by the time you'd be ready for Alaska. Not knowing where home is (check that - New Jersey?) or, indeed, what month(s) are under consideration, it's difficult to make too many more specific recommendations for Alaska, or, for that matter, anywhere else, without some additional information.

For example, have you spent much time on the west coast? What if you ended the Mountaineer in Vancouver, then got a car and drove south to California? With the same 10-14 days you could see a tremendous variety of places - Seattle, Olympic National Park (mountains, rain forests, rugged coast, vampires) or Mount Rainier NP; Mount St. Helens, the Columbia Gorge, the Oregon coast, maybe Crater Lake, the Redwoods.... The options are endless, the choices frankly more varied and kid-friendly than much of Alaska, and easier on the budget.

Or arrive in Vancouver and spend a week visiting Vancouver, Whistler, and Seattle, then fly to Los Angeles or San Diego for a week on the beach, or visiting Disneyland or Beverly Hills or Santa Monica. Endless options.

So some feedback seems in order.
Old Jan 13th, 2014, 11:19 AM

I will agree with Gardyloo, Pacific Northwest would be a lot less money and is a fantastic trip too. If Alaska is a 10 the PCNW is a 9.5 on beauty factor.

If your kids haven't seen Yellowstone, Tetons, Glacier National Park, Mount Rushmore/Blackhills-you could do a few of those as well.

The hard thing about planning a National Park trip like Yellowstone, Glacier, or Yosemite--This late of a date, lodging is probably already taken.
Old Jan 13th, 2014, 12:22 PM

I disagree that the small ships aren't for kids. we booked with InnerSea Discoveries and we picked a family departure.

http://www.un-cruise.com/family-cruises

Kids made friends with each other faster that the adults!! Although there we no arcade games, the kids played board games, watched DVDSs, played cards, AND went fishing kayaking, paddleboarding.... right off our little boat!

Check it out!!
Old Jan 13th, 2014, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Wow, lots of information.

Yes, we are probably a little late in planning, I was so busy planning our India trip which we did in November So , didn't realize we were already running behind.

We are from NJ. We have done Yosemite with our kids few years ago.

Gardyloo, your suggestion is pretty interesting, we have only been SFO and Yosemite in West coast. Love that you lived in Alaska and able to help on the board. Nothing beats first hand info.

We are considering to travel in Aug. Hoping we still get lodging and stuff.

Miamibeachmomma, I actually read your trip report and was going to post a thread just for you Loved your trip. I have been looking at Un-cruise and got their brochure too. Kinda expensive, but more than that, I was wondering since it's our first cruise should we do on a bigger ship to get a positive experience ? And also, looks like for smaller ships we have to fly in to Alaska and board instead of cruising from Canada right ? Since when did you start planning for your Alaska trip ? Should we just consider doing it next summer then ? I don't think I would be able to make any bookings before end of Jan because just started my research.

spiro, will look at your pictures soon.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -