Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Should I stay in a friend's timeshare that's not in the park?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 1999, 06:51 PM
Chris

We are going for the first time to WDW next October with our 2 children who will be 7 and 4. My friend owns a timeshare condo in a resort outside of WDW called, "Vistana". She won't be able to use it next year and we're considering paying her to use it that week. I located it on a website and it looks very nice with 5 pools, restaurants, playground, etc. But, all the posts I've read and advice I've received strongly recommends staying in the park. Is it really that much more of a hassle to drive to and from WDW? Thanks for your candor!

Old Jun 22nd, 1999, 04:18 AM
Carolyn

We stayed in a timeshare just off International Drive last March, and it worked out very well (although we were two couples, no children).

Old Jun 22nd, 1999, 10:02 AM
JoAnn

Chris, At Vistana you will be in a condo, not a hotel room, and that might be worth NOT staying in the park, unless you can rent one of WDW's condos. A hotel room with kids, might get a little testy after awhile. Vistana rates pretty high in reviews from my favorite timeshare website. And it is only a mile or so from WDW.
We own timeshares and truly enjoy the idea of having more than one room, and a kitchen so we don't have to eat out ALL the time--even if it's just being able to grab cereal in the morning or being able to pack a quick lunch to take along, or cook spaghetti at night. In my humble opinion, you would do well to stay @ Vistana.
http://www.vistanainc.com/Resorts/vistana/Default.htm

Old Jun 22nd, 1999, 03:49 PM
annemarie

We did both last July-stayed at the Vistana and inside the resort. I am a real Disney suck and really enjoy being within the property. I find the feeling so different-better, much better! Needless to say, our condo at the Vistana was huge and very nice. It is also very easy to get to the park from the property. Would you consider splitting your time? The other option would be to look into the Coronado Springs within, get a frig for 5.00 a day, that way you can have your breakfasts there, purchase a souvenir cup for 8.00 and have unlimited coffee, tea, pop, lemonade for the duration of your stay. I say the Coronado because the food court is far superior to any other moderate property, although all the moderate properties are beautiful.

Old Jun 22nd, 1999, 05:05 PM
bigthinkers

Can't believe I'd ever say this, so I had to post it as a personal "first". I am a HUGE fan of staying on-site, especially with children, BUT... the time share sounds pretty good, for all the above reasons. Since you'll be going in October, the crowds wont be such an issue as in the summer months, and you're not likely to get "shut out" of any of the parks. May I suggest you bring along a stroller for the 4 year old, however? You won't have the advantage of going back to your resort for a mid-afternoon break, and Disney's rental price for a stroller is terrible. The Magic Kingdom and Epcot proved too much for my son at 4, and the stroller was a blessing. You're in for a wonderful time! Enjoy!

Old Jun 23rd, 1999, 03:19 AM
Julie

Yikes -- shut out of the parks -- does this really ever happen? I have a June 2000 trip planned and am staying at a timeshare off property -- do I need to be worried about this -- or just plan to hit the parks early???

Old Jun 23rd, 1999, 04:06 AM
ilisa

Yes, it is possible to be shut out of the parks. If the parks reach capacity, they will be closed to visitors who are not resort guests. Usually, only one park shuts at a time. However, my husband and I were at Disney over New Years during the 25th anniversary. It was the most crowded weekend in Disney history, and on one day (I think New Years Eve), all the parks reached capacity by 11:00am and were closed.

Old Jun 23rd, 1999, 12:15 PM
bigthinkers

We were also at Disney over a holiday (Memorial Day weekend), stayed on-site, and heard Magic Kingdom, Typhoon Lagoon, and Blizzard Beach were all "shut out" at 10:00am on the same day. Don't forget, when you stay off-site, it may only be a mile to the Disney property from your hotel, but it's MUCH further to get into the parks themselves (especially MK!). It's a big place, to say the least.

Old Jun 23rd, 1999, 06:24 PM
karen

Dear Chris,
Did you know that starting October 1999 Disney kicks off its huge millenium celebration. I have a feeling that visitation will be up although usually October is a very nice time of year to visit. The parks are not overcrowded & weather is so pleasant. I've been many times & do agree that staying on-site is the way to go.. Vistana is a great resort but goin' back to your resort mid-day for a pool break or naps with 2 children is not practical if staying off disney. Also on-site you're entitled to early admission (before the general public) & often can catch many of the rides early on... No driving or parking hassles not to mention traffic headaches leaving the parks at night. Also on-site you're entitled to length of stay passes, unique to disney guests. Stay on-site if you can.. Have a great trip.

Old Jun 23rd, 1999, 07:06 PM
Diane

We've gone to WDW numerous times at different times of year over 18 years and only once did we have to change plans because of overflow crowd at Magic Kingdom (and that was during a Christmas vacation period -- high season -- when it was too cold for people to go to the beach locations. Guess they figured they might as well do Disney.) I'd opt for the Timeshare and save my money for other things. EVERYTHING costs bigs bucks at Disney. October should be no problem. On the other hand, you might try to stay "on site" for one or two nights, I'm sure the kids would really love it. (To be honest, one of the best trips we had was on a day that was overcast and had intermittent drizzle. Lines were very short!)

Old Jun 24th, 1999, 05:03 PM
sandra engley

Have stayed at the Vistana, it is a superior "Gold Crown" resort. Not all timeshares are equal, Vistana offered more in the units and on the property then most ty[ical timeshares. Two question may help you determine your needs.
1: Woild you rather have a master bedroom with jacuzzi tub, walk in double shower, extended "fainting" chair. A second bedroom with two twin beds, a second full bathroom. A full Kitchen, A living room with pool out sofa, and a balcony with patio furniture. or A hotel room?
2: Will you be visiting Universal, Sea World, Space Center, Splendid China etc or any dinner shows. Or will you spending all of your time in WDW?
For a whole week stay, we enjoyed the Vistana very much. For a three night stay we enjoyed The Wilderness Lodge Resort on WDW property.

Old Jun 28th, 1999, 07:37 PM
Chris

Thanks everybody for your great insights! Staying in the condo off-site vs. staying in a hotel room on-site seems to have some strong pros and cons for both. I think having the extra bedroom for the kids and the kitchen for breakfasts, packing lunches and doing some dinners in seem to outweigh the benefits of staying on-site for us. Thanks so much for helping me with this big decision and all the other info you provided as well!