Short Trip to Nantucket

Old Apr 8th, 2009, 11:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Short Trip to Nantucket

Hmmm... If I only had 2.5 hours on nantucket (because I don't want to miss it) and I hired a double moped... what would you recommend I do please? THanks, Lissa
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 01:55 AM

Well, let's say you are already in Hyannis. It will take you 1.5 hours to get to the island on a fast ferry because you have to park, get to the terminal, and buy a ticket. And you should have a reservation for either the Steamship or Hy Line fast ferries in July and August. Ditto on the way home.
So you are talking about 3 hours of travel for only 2.5 hours on island. A plane will get you to the island in half the time for twice the money, but then you are still way out at the airport, which is nowhere.

Renting a moped would be a waste of time because it would take 20+ minutes to rent and be checked out on the vehicle, even assuming you did not have to stand in line to get it. Then where could you go in two hours that would be meaningful? Nowhere, because you would have no context.

In two hours you could walk from the ferry up Main Street and up and down the side streets and lanes to the left in order to get a sense of the town's historic architecture. You could walk out Centre Street to the Congregational Church and go up in the tower for a panoramic view, and you could go to Murray's to buy Nantucket Reds, to Mitchell's book store to buy a souvenir, and to the Nantucket Pharmacy for an ice cream at the soda fountain. Then back to the boat. You would not have time in 2.5 hours to eat lunch or dinner or do anything else, and you can't even do this if you get distracted by little shops.

With a full day, you could do all of the above plus take a bus tour to Sconset and eat a meal.

I have gone to Nantucket for 2.5 hours and on the slow boat at that, but it was before the fast boats ran, and I was going out to look at real estate. The real estate agent met me at the dock, drove me around, and delivered me back to the ferry. I wouldn't bother going for that short a time as a tourist, and I think Nantucket is the most wonderful place in the world.
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Hi Ackislander, we are staying at Martha's Vineyard and catching a cape air flight over and back. We had to decide on one or the other, so I thought it would be better to have three hours than nothing at all. I agree though, it will mean we have no context.

It seems there's a hire car place at the airport, if we could reserve a car and get away quickly surely it would be worth it?

Hopefully we could come back another time for a more indepth trip.

Thanks Ackislander for the advice on the places to go, I was hoping you'd reply
Old Apr 10th, 2009, 03:44 AM

Okay. Don't hire a car. You really won't have time to see anything outside town (see below for exceptions), but if you take a taxi to town, you can get a reasonable overview walking around. Ask them to drop you at the Three Bricks on Main Street. This will keep you out of downtown traffic, which will waste time, but you are only about three blocks from the commercial center. The Three Bricks are three large houses built by one of the Starbucks for his three sons; they are identical to prevent arguments and are among the three most famous houses in the United States.

Walk toward the commercial center, observing the large houses. At the corner where Murray's shop is located, turn right and walk out past St Paul's church (go inside for notable Tiffany windows) and the Quaker Meeting house one long block to Martin's Lane, where you turn left. At the end of Martin's Lane, turn left again onto Orange Street. More big houses. This will take you back to Main Street past the Unitarian Church. If it is open, go in to see the trompe l'oeil painting.

Walk down Main to Straight Wharf, where you can see boats of all sorts and the Cottages, which are so often written about here. You can take a 1.5 hour island bus tour from here if you have time.

If not, walk back up the other side of Main to the Pacific Bank and turn right onto Centre Street. Follow Center Street to the Congregational church, where the views from the tower on a clear day are amazing. When you leave the church, follow the lanes to right of the entrance, turning right at the first corner to go to the top of the hill. Turn left, walk one block, and turn left onto Gay Street. The large house on your right was once part of a silk mill, another part of which was the Dreamland Theatre, now being reconstructed.

Gay Street will lead downhill to Broad at the Jared Coffin House hotel. Continue down Broad Street, turning right at Federal Street. The Athenaeum is the Greek Revival building on your left across from the Post Office. It is worth walking inside and visiting the second floor, where, Notably Frederick Douglass, freed slave, gave a notable speech against slavery. Continue on Federal to Main, where you have a bit of time to shop before going to the taxi stand in front of the Pacific Club (opposite end of Main from the Pacific Bank) to get a cab back to the airport for your flight. You do not need to arrive an hour in advance for flights to/from the islands, but check with staff before you leave to find out how much to allow.
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

Wow, thanks so much for this, sounds great One question, does anyone know how i would find the times for the island bus tour I can't seem to find an email address for them. Thanks, Lissa
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 03:43 AM

Check out www.nantucket.net
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 01:52 PM

Call Call Louise Ozias @ 508-228-9040 if you are interested in a relatively inexpensive custom tour. She could probably meet you at the airport.
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

Hi again, against all advice we are still spending only 2 hours on Nantucket, between 8am and 10am on Friday morning 17 July. Please don't yell at me , it's our only chance to go (we are from Australia).

We are spending 2 nights on MV and have Cape Air flights to and from Nantucket. I have hired a Jeep Compass from a car rental place at the airport, and we should have 2 hours for a drive (which we understand is all we are going to have time to do).

We just want to see the place. What I would love is a plan of where we should drive, and perhaps a recommendation of one place to stop. It's the beaches and the natural scenery that we are most interested in.

Any help will be really great. Thanks in advance, Lissa
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 06:16 PM

Lissa2905 - You do not want or need to rent a car. Our beaches and scenery are wonderful, but the "must do's" - and the history - are in town. If you only have 2 hours, take a cab into town, walk around, and another cab back. Follow Ackislander's advice in from April 10th in this post.
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 07:30 PM
Original Poster

If we get a cab, will I have trouble getting one at the airport early in the morning (7.30am) I'm worried about spending valuable time waiting for one. Opinions or help here would be great. Thanks, Lissa