Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Short trip to Minneapolis - what to see?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 06:46 PM
Dee

My 8-year-old daughter and I will be staying in Minneapolis for 4 days in August. We'll see Mall of America, of course, but what is there to do in the city? We'll be taking public transportation, not renting a car, as I understand it is pretty convenient between the Mall and city. Any advice on what to see and do?

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 06:52 PM
Paul Rabe

Some other ideas:

Nicollet Mall (it's where Mary Richards threw up her hat), both skywalks, Saint Paul's Cathedral, Museum of Questionable Medical Devices, Natural History Museum, the frescoes at the Univ of Saint Thomas Aquinas

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 07:23 PM
Jim Rosenberg

Good stuff, Paul! Possible add-ons: Como Park zoo (she'll LOVE the seals!); the Minnesota Zoo; Farmer's Market -- it's a dandy; The Minnesota Renaissance Festival is open weekends beginning Aug. 18 at Shakopee and it is a DANDY. Reconsider your choice about not renting a car -- the Twin Cities are not particularly easy to fully enjoy without your own wheels, IMHO.

Old Mar 30th, 2001, 02:25 AM
anne

What time in August? If it's late August, the Minnesota State Fair will be on during your visit as that's a summer time event. It's a major state fair, so if you haven't been, it's worth a visit (go early and during the week if possible - weekends are really packed). Since you are going in the summer, do what the locals do & enjoy the lake system that's just south of downtown area. People walk, blade, bike, run and hang out at Lake Calhoun, Lake of the Isles, Cedar Lake - all three are connected via walking & biking paths. The area near 30th & Hennepin is interesting & close to Lake Calhoun. There's the Walker Art Center (close to Lake of the Isles & very close to downtown Minneapolis) and the Guthrie Theater. I don't know St. Paul as well so can't make specific recommendations. I would echo the earlier post re: consider getting a car as much of what's worth seeing isn't in the downtown area or in the mall. Hope you enjoy!

Old Mar 30th, 2001, 07:46 AM
Dee

A lot of great ideas. Thanks! We'll be there Aug. 19-23 (Sun-Thur). I love cities and was really hoping to hang out "downtown" if there is such a place in Minneapolis. I definitely like the idea of biking, roller-blading on the lake. I'm from Chicago and really enjoy it's lakefront activities and was hoping there was something along these lines in Minneapolis. I found a detailed bus schedule of departures from Mall of America (we're staying right next door) and was hoping to stick to public transportation. Would there be enough to do in the city for one day? Can you rent bikes and roller blades? Any other lakefront activities?

Old Mar 30th, 2001, 09:07 PM
Cali

Yes, there is a downtown in Mpls. and I always enjoy going down there when we are there. There are many stores, restaurants and the like downtown. The Nicollet Mall is the pedestrian walkway downtown. It is where Mary Tyler Moore threw her hat in the air. Have fun - Mpls. is one of our favorite cities.

Old Mar 31st, 2001, 04:31 AM
Dee

Thanks, Cali!

I think we'll definitely spend one day in Minneapolis. The lake areas sound like fun. We'll be there in late August and I love summers in the city!