Search

Shopping for Fabrics

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4th, 2003, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shopping for Fabrics

Dear Fodorites:

I was hoping to drive up to New York City this weekend to go on a shopping spree, I'm looking for fabrics for drapes, but I heard that there is a big Marathon on Saturday 11/8, so I believe traffic will be jammed for few hours, so I changed my mind. The next date is now 11/22 instead. Anyway I got some info from Google.com and I think I have an idea to where I'm going, but if any of you have visited the shopping district?? Can you help me with this adventure?? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
II
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 09:06 AM

The NYC Marathon was last Sunday, 11/2
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 09:25 AM

Well Irma the big marathon was this past Sunday so not sure what's happening on the 8th. I am a fabric junkie but haven't bought any in a while (thank goodness!) One of my favorite places is Harry Zarin on the lower east side. This place is HUGE. You walk up a flight of stairs & you're in a huge warehouse. You can walk around for hours. (It can be overwhelming so have an idea of what you want & know how much you need.)Here's their website
http://harryzarin.com/ They're not open on Sat., just Sun which is the case for all places on the lower east side!

Silk Surplus is another good place at 223 east 58th st (uptown). They don't just carry silk & are open Sat not Sun.
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 09:33 AM

Irma, I brought up 3 earlier posts covering this topic. All have some good leads
Old Nov 6th, 2003, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

Thank you fodorites, I knew you would come to the rescue. Well it looks like I'm going to be shopping on 11/22 in NY and I know now where I'm going I hope to have enough time to visit ground zero and the statue of liberty we'll see.
Thankingly--Irma
Old Nov 6th, 2003, 02:06 PM

Irma I hope you're reading this carefully. The lower east side-where all the great fabric places are is CLOSED on Saturdays. The 22nd is a Sat.