Search

Plans for Sun in NY

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plans for Sun in NY

We are tentatively planning to visit the City Church for services at 11:00 (that's at Lexington and 86th)

La Bonne Soupe was recommended to us (and has good reviews on menupages.com) but when I tried to route it using HopStop, it involved 2 changes and almost an hour. It's a bit too far for us to walk, so maybe a taxi there would be the ticket.

From there we hope to see a Matinee (still searching for discounts for the last week in May and having no luck at all). We're not particular about what we see - just want to enjoy the theatre about 3 or 4 times - as it's certainly a novelty where we live.

I'm not sure how far we will be from the theatre district - and maybe we should change to another venue for lunch that is closer. They don't accept reservations for just 2 people and I"m sure it will be crowded.

Any suggestions about a pre-theater brunch? Has to be $$$ or cheaper. (sigh)

The rest of the day is for doing what we missed on Friday or Saturday or just doing nothing.

Thanks for any great ideas! I'm bogging down.
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 02:41 PM

Is there a particular reason why you're going to that specific church? It's so much out of the way from your other planned destinations for that day.
However, if you have a significant reason for going to that church, then the most practical way of getting to La Bonne Soupe would be to take the subway at 86th & Lex down to the 59th St. stop and walk the 7 blocks to the restaurant on 55th, between 5th & 6th.
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 03:18 PM

Great pretheatre brunch at Roberto Passon -- www.robertopasson.com

You can even drop one or more of those $ signs.

Never fear, within a month there will be lots of extensions for theatre discounts during that period. I arrive on May 13 and right now the last existing ones all expire on that day.
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 02:09 AM

Matinee-wise, have you tried Broadwaybox.com ? Use the "Find discounts for your selected dates" box. I'd do it myself but you haven't mentioned when you were going.
P.S. if you can't find any discounts with that box it means that your trip is too far ahead so try later.
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 04:14 AM
Original Poster

Howard,
We are not set in stone about City Church; but we heard this pastor once in 1989 and enjoyed his talk (and his Irish accent) so thought we might work it in.

Thanks for the directions. Sounds workable!

Patrick,
Thanks for the brunch rec. I need to re-read your post about the theatre & the food!
We arrive on the 24th and haven't found one venue available, except for Beauty & the Beast -which my husband is NOT excited about seeing!!!

SomeDude,
Yes, I have signed up for emall notification from BroadwayBox, Playbill.com & theatremania - I'm getting stuff from them, but the expiry date is before we arrive. I'm sure you & Patrick are right and it's just early days yet.

I have found "Forbidden Broadway" (good option for Monday night maybe) and also the Birdland "Cast Party" (not theatre but looks fun for late night).
Anyone have comments about these?
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 04:38 AM

Forbidden Broadway is great fun, so long as you have a general knowledge of current (and not so current) Broadway musicals. Since in is over before 10, you could do that and then go to Cast Party at Birdland, which is also great fun. We ate there during the show -- hamburgers or lighter food. You never know who might be in the audience who gets up and performs that night, but even the total unknowns are often very good. It's a lot of fun.
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 04:45 AM

NeoPatrick is right on the mark with his comments about the two potential Monday night activities.
Also, the previous comments about it being too early for any theater discount offers for is also accurate. Just keep checking.
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 05:16 AM

I wouldn't go out of my way to go to La Bonne Soup for brunch. I often recommend it if you're in that area, but it's certainly nothing special and not close enough to the theater district to make sense for you.

If you decide to go to that church, you are in the midst of the upper east side--very residential and FILLED with DOZENS of good options for brunch. Assuming your matinee will be at 3 (some do start at 2 if they have an evening performance) and assuming you already have tickets, I'd recommend staying near the church for much better brunch options and if nice weather, there are many place where you could sit outside. Jacques Brasserie is 2 blocks away on 85th & 3rd http://www.jacquesnyc.com/index2.html

Brasserie Julien is not far. Luke's Bar & Grill is a decent neighborhood place (sort of pubby) but has outside tables.

I must say, I know NeoPatrick is a fan, but I had brunch at Roberto Passon and was not impressed. They were out of Bloody Mary mix (!), the food came cold and they were understaffed and service was awful. Next time I thought I'd try The Nook. http://www.nynook.com/pages/menus_brunch.html

Another option in the theater district for brunch is Le Madeleine, much nicer imo. http://www.lemadeleine.com/brunch.htm
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 07:54 AM

McLaurie, I noticed last month that Brasserie Julien seems to be gone. In fact they had torn down that building and starting construction on something new.

That's amazing about Roberto Passon, where our brunch was outstanding -- I had wonderful perfectly prepared (and hot) grilled salmon. And the Bloody Marys were wonderful.
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 08:48 AM

Brasserie Julien gone? There's a review from 2/20/07?
http://menupages.com/restaurantdetai...=0&cuisineid=0
and their website is up and running
http://www.brasseriejulien.com/tourMAIN.htm

Jacques Brasserie also up and running on their website.
http://www.jacquesnyc.com/index2.html

I know, I was stunned about our brunch at Roberto Passon too. We had brunch there back in the fall before you did (when you were raving about dinner there) and I assumed maybe brunch was not their thing. Not only had they run out of bloodys, but we had wanted to share an appetizer (I don't remember what) and they didn't have that either. The couple who sat down next to us, 20 minutes after we did, ordered and their food came before ours (but wrong!) The woman ordered a burger and it came either with or without cheese, whichever it was not supposed to be. They took it away to fix it, her boyfriend ate his food and when he was finished, her burger arrived cold and hard (she said). Maybe it was just an off day. I think someone didn't show up for work.
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 08:58 AM

Sorry, wrong name. I was thinking theatre district and was thinking of Julian's -- a wonderful little place for brunch -- or it always was. It was on Ninth, about 53rd.

I wasn't sure why you were suggesting Brasserie Julian way over on Third and 80th for a "pre-theatre" brunch! But now I get it -- near the City Church. Duh!
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

General knowledge of current Broadway shows? Umm, probably not. Maybe I'd be lost. Of course I know the old Chestnuts and have seen le mis and phantom and know the stories of Chicago, Mama Mia, Chorus Line etc. - watched Grey Gardens on PBS a few months ago. But I do love satire/farce - esp put to music. Is anyone old enough to remember Tom Lehr? Loved him.

Cast Party sounds like my kind of show. And a great venue for Monday night.

I enjoyed the comments from all of you concerning the brunches and have added them to my ridiculously long list of restaurants! I read about them on menupages and fantasized about the food that we certainly don't get around here (unless I cook it) How frustrating to have to CHOOSE!