Search

sheraton vs hyatt

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2000, 07:14 PM
James

sheraton vs hyatt

I'am planning a trip to Kauai this summer with my wife and 6-year old son. I can stay at the Hyatt(garden room) vs the Sheraton (deluxe ocean room) for about the same amount of money, any suggestions would be appreciated
Thanks,
J.B.

Old May 16th, 2000, 08:22 PM
3XAsNice

Hyatt
Hyatt
Hyatt

Old May 17th, 2000, 06:20 AM
spon

The Hyatt is incredibly beautiful. The Sheraton is the ocean. Frankly, I'm an ocean fan and would pick the deluxe ocean room.

Old May 17th, 2000, 08:59 AM
Jane

We stayed at the Sheraton last summer with our two boys. We had a deluxe ocean room. My remembrance is that you may request this room in either the beach wing or the ocean wing. We requested the beach wing, which is closer to the pool and beach. With a 6 year old, you might feel the same. We loved the room and the hotel. There is a very open air feeling at this hotel. The pool area is very nice and the pool has a nice water slide. I would stay there again.

Old May 17th, 2000, 09:47 AM
kal

James, You can't go wrong w/ either but the Sheraton has a nicer/closer beach area.

The Hyatt was a bit too pretentious, but beautiful!
You can always drive there to go to some of their restaurants or I think you can purchase a day pass for use of their facilities.

Agree w/ Spon and Jane postings... go for the oceanview, especially if you get an oceanview that gets the sunsets!
Mahalo,
Kal

Old May 17th, 2000, 10:58 AM
Joseph

James,

I'd definitely go for the oceanview! I like to look at water after I fly all the way to Hawaii! I believe the Sheraton would be a little more comfortable with a 6 yr. old. Just MHO!

Old Jul 6th, 2000, 08:25 AM
Gary

If you haven't gone yet, my vote is HYATT!!!! Absolutely gorgeous, and the pools will keep your son enthralled for hours.

Old Jul 6th, 2000, 10:41 AM
kim

the HYATT!. I think it would be perfect for your son - lots of pools, waterslides, etc. He will love it

Old Jul 6th, 2000, 10:46 AM
aloha

James, we stayed at the Sheraton last summer and we had bad experience with it. THere were ants around the fridge area and service is really bad. The only nice thing I'd say would be the ocean view room. I've heard so many great things about the Hyatt though.....have fun!

Old Jul 7th, 2000, 07:39 AM
Barbara

I would have to disagree w/ "Aloha." I stayed at the Sheraton last September & had a wonderful time. A very relaxed hotel setting w/ a great quiet beach.

Old Jul 15th, 2000, 08:07 PM
James

I just got back on 07/14/00 and had a wonderful time. Thanks to all with all the great advice. The Sheraton was very nice, but does'nt come close to touching the Hyatt as far as the pool and landscape is concerned. 99% of our time in the sun was spent on the beach and for that reason I feel the Sheraton was the place for us. The only thing I did'nt like about the Sheraton was a $10 resort fee and they would access you $25 everyday for food. Feel free to e-mail me with any questions
JB

Old Jul 16th, 2000, 06:44 AM
Joseph

James,

What do you mean access you $25 / day for food? Never heard of such a thing. Did you know that when you made your reservations?

Old Jul 16th, 2000, 08:21 PM
James

Joseph,
They charge you $25 a/day that will be applied to your bill at any of their restaurants for food only no beverages or coctails at the bars. So, if you happen to not eat at the Sheraton that particular day you get charged $25 anyway. I did know about this before hand but I thought they were vague about it until you got there and tried to charge drinks towards it. I'm really not a cheap person, but it absolutely drives me crazy when people try to beat around the bush with me. I hoped I explained the 25 charge clearly.

JB

Old Jul 17th, 2000, 06:34 AM
Joanne

We stayed at the Sheraton in Maui last October. The hotel gave you a $25.00 credit per day for meals. So if you ate in one of their restrauants or ordered food from the pool area they added it to your hotel bill but then gave you a credit up to $25.00.

Old Aug 4th, 2000, 05:08 PM
donna

They Hyatt over the Sheraton any day. The tidepools will be a blast for the kids. It's a much nicer hotel; beautiful grounds, kid pools and lap pools,hula show every night, a kid program, spa, etc.....

Old Aug 4th, 2000, 05:43 PM
Brent

Unbelievable!!??!
I can't believe people actually put up with a MANDATORY $25 per day food charge at a SHERATON!!
That's one of the most insulting and ridiculous fee schemes I've ever heard of.
I would walk immediately off the premises (after making my opinion quite clear to the manager) and never return and I would make sure all my acquaintances knew about it so as to avoid going there.
Didn't this even twerk you a LITTLE bit James and Joanne??

Old Aug 4th, 2000, 09:54 PM
Betsy

Just got back 3 weeks ago from Kuaui with our 6 yr old son and 4 yr old daughter. We stayed in a garden view, ground level room at the Hyatt which was quite nice. If you do stay at the hyatt request the side of the hotel where the pool is so you don't have such a long walk. All of the rooms are the same at the Hyatt, the only difference is the view so the garden rooms offer the best value there. The pool was the best thing for my son. Hours were spent every day in the pool and lagoon which is gorgeous, I've never seen such beautiful landscaping. The lagoon is salt-water with man made islands and a man made beach. The only downside I see to staying at the Hyatt or Sheraton for that matter is it's tough with kids. The rooms are really not equipped for families. Small mini-bars but not decent fridges, no micro or VCR in the room. If you want to watch a movie at night it's $7-$10 per movie on their pay-per-view. Having kids we usually travel with a few of their favorite movies but no VCR. Our garden view room had a lovely view and was really quiet/private since we didn't face the pool. I told my husband that next time I'd opt for a condo with the kids, easier on meals etc... but he thinks the pool is worth it all. I must say I found the Hyatt very unpretenious, which I didn't expect. There are tons of kids and families there. just another note... if you do stay at the hyatt and order room service, they do offer childrens meals which are no where to be found on the menu at very reasonable prices. They'll make anything from pasta, PB & J sandwich, grilled cheese. I only asked on our last night there. Hope this helps in your decision making.