Reload this Page >

Sheraton Suites KEY WEST

Search

Sheraton Suites KEY WEST

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2002, 11:58 AM
Jen

Sheraton Suites KEY WEST

Does anyone have any input on the Sheraton Suites in Key west. We are a couple in our mid twenties, and wanted to stay near the Beach. Also, how much are taxi rides from Duval St to the Smathers Beach area? Do you recommend having a car?

Old Jan 19th, 2002, 12:01 PM
x

You will be surrounded with families. There is nothing out there but other hotels. The beaches in Key West are very rocky and not good compared to elsewhere in Fla. You are far from the nightlife and will spend about 15 each way.

Old Jan 19th, 2002, 12:09 PM
Jen

We were thinking of taking the Tortuga island day trip, how is that? Is the beach there nice?

Old Jan 19th, 2002, 04:51 PM
Dave

You are not far from anything in KW! Yes you will not be on Duval St but im sure that your hotel offers a shuttle and a cab is quite cheap. If you want beaches, KW is not the beach place. Duval St makes up for it by its excellent food, shops and bars. DO NOT rent a car, parking fees are high. Get a scooter, they are cheap and parking for them is easy to find. I found very few families when visiting KW just a couple of weeks ago as there is really nothing for kids to do. Lots of great history and the people couldn't be better...EVERYWHERE! (except the panhandlers on the street). To summize, you are not far from anything on KW except hassle.

Old Jan 19th, 2002, 05:18 PM
Susan

We stayed here about 5 years ago, great pool and suites, at that time the rate also include full breakfast. At that time they had a trolly that took you into town but it did not run late at night. Beach?? The only decent beach was over by the Marriott. Hope this helps!

Old Jan 19th, 2002, 08:13 PM
Celeste

The Sheraton Suites is perfectly adequate; I stayed there for $85 per night thru Priceline. There is a shuttle to lower Duval Street but a taxi cab would only be $5 or $6 anyway. You are across the street from the "beach" but none of them on the island are worth writing home about.

You absolutely don't need a car in Key West.

Old Jan 19th, 2002, 08:22 PM
LJ

We stayed at the Sheraton Suites last February and thoroughly enjoyed it. Like Celeste says, there's a shuttle that runs to Duval St, however the last one of the night returns at 10pm. Rent bicycles or motor scooters and skip the car - parking is at a premium. Enjoy!

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 07:10 AM
x

I`d stay in Old Town(Duval area) and walk to everthing...New Town is a pain to runback and forth..

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 07:18 AM
grglnswsh

The Sheraton Suites is very nice but you are a few miles from the action part of the town. The beaches are very rocky and not nice and soft like other places in Fla. The beach is also across the blvd from the hotel. Don't rent a car but you will need some means of transportation, either a bike, scooter or just use cabs but they can be pricey. I wouldn't not plan a beach vacation and come to Key West. We have great water activities but the beaches might really dissapoint you.

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 07:19 AM
grglnswsh

I would also agree with finding something in Old Town so you would be closer to everything - including what some find as the best beach here, Fort Zac.

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 03:29 PM
Jen

I appreciate the replies, I really dont mind the FAR 15 ride to the nightlife, I am in Washington DC, 15 minutes sounds like a god send!

I was mosly asking about the hotel, how were the rooms, and pool? It looked really nice on the website.

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 03:46 PM
Viv

First of all let me say Key West is great I loved it. I guess if you are looking to lay on a beach all day then no KW is not the place. I wouldn't stay at the Sheraton because I want to be able to pop back and forth to all the action whenever I want and not worry about a shuttle. It is fun to rent scooters but I don't think that would be wise if you wanted to do any drinking at all. I just enjoyed staying at the Hyatt so so much. Also nice to split up with my husband on occasion so we can do our own thing and just meet up without hassle of taxi or shuttle.

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 06:02 PM
Celeste

The Sheraton Suites are very nice and the website is pretty accurate as to how nice they are. Everyone's problem is the location. The walk from there to the lower Duval area where "the action is" is about two miles, I guess. I've walked it several times but it gets tiring with all the other walking you end up doing.

But taxis are plentiful and inexpensive and there's always the shuttle. I'll be surprised if you don't like the Sheraton Suites.

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 06:39 PM
bac

We stayed at the Sherator Suites Key West Dec. 11 - 14. A great hotel made even greater having secured it through Priceline for $52 a night.

We had driven our own car, and had heard the warnings about high parking or lack of parking. No problem. We took the hotel's free shuttle into old town the first night but drove in all the other times. Maybe we were lucky but found parking metered parking near the shopping areas in the daytime and plenty of free parking at night.

We did see one garage near Mallory Square. I think the price was $8 for all day.

Also, from the Sheraton Suites, I believe it was more of an 8 - 10 minute drive to old town.

If you consider a 10 minute drive and perhaps having to look for a place to park an inconvenience do as some others have suggested and stay down near Duval Street - I've heard very good things about the Southernmost Hotel. I know when you're on vacation, you have a certain set of likes/dislikes to follow. But Sheraton Suites is great and we found it to be no problem to be in on as much action as we wanted.

Our bedroom had two double doors opening into the living room. There was a refridgerator besides the regular hotel bar, and a microwave. The bathroom was huge and had a jacuzzi.

Didn't have to take the taxi but they were plentiful. Don't know the cost.

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 07:53 AM
Jackie

We stayed at the Sheraton and the hotel was great however the beach was awful. Man of War signs and terrible smell. A week in KW is to long. If you want to beach it you will need to rent a car and go back up to one of the other Keys that has a state park.