Reload this Page >

Sheraton or the Doral Park Ave.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29th, 1999, 10:21 AM
Joy

My husband and I are traveling to NYC this weekend for our anniversary. I booked reservations at the Doral Park Ave. but I have heard mixed things about it and I checked today and The Sheraton Manhattan, and The Sheraton NY, have availability for only $10 more per night. What is the difference in the two Sheratons? Should I cancel and reserve at one of these? We would like to be close to the theaters (we have tickets to Rent and Kat and the Kings) and to the major attractions (this is our first trip to NY). I only have one more day to cancel.

Old Nov 29th, 1999, 10:34 AM
howard

The Sheraton New York is a little bit fancier that the Sheraton Manhattan. If they are the same price, go with the first one. Either one is fine and both (diagonally across the street from each other) are conveniently located to the theater district.

Old Nov 29th, 1999, 10:44 AM
Audrey

Let us know how "Kat and the Kings" is. I've heard that it's great...

Old Nov 29th, 1999, 12:55 PM
lola

The Sheratons are huge and impersonal, and cater to groups, altho they are close to the theater district. The Doral is smaller, in the quiet and lovely Murray Hill neighborhood, a long walk or short taxi ride away from theaters. I'd stay at the Doral, and ask for a room with a view of the nearby Empire State Building for a much more romantic experience. Worth it.

Old Nov 29th, 1999, 06:39 PM
Anthony

I would agree with Lola's posting.
The Doral is located near Grand Central Terminal, and can be compared to a European-style Hotel. The Sheraton NY is a highrise convention hotel (old time New Yorkers will remember it as The Americanna) The Sheraton Manhattan is a mid-rise tower with a swimming pool ( Formerly the Sheraton City Squire Motor Hotel) Both hotels have gone through extensive renovations. And although they admmittedly are closer to the theater district, these hotels could be in any city in the country. It basically comes down to personal preference in terms of the 'type' of hotel you like to stay in. Coincidently, Starwood Hotels( corporate owner of the Sheraton Hotels) are turning 2 properties they own in the vicinity of The Doral into their "W" chain of Boutique hotels ( Is that an oxymoron?)