Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Sheraton or Embassy Vacation Resort on Maui??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2003, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

Just wondering which resort is better on Maui the Sheraton or the Embassy Vacation Resort? My fiance are looking to honeymoon in Maui in August and we have never been to Hawaii before so any recommendations would be great!
Old Mar 24th, 2003, 11:31 AM

Just want you to know the difference in location between these two. The Sheraton is right at Black rock (good for snorkeling) along the resort area known as Kaanapali Beach. It's a short walk to Whalers Village with shops and restaurants. Big beautiful beach in front of the Sheraton. There is also a nightly torch lighting ceremony which is wonderful and ends with the torch lighter diving from the cliff.

The Embassy Suites is on another beach north of Kaanapali. This beach is not as good as that in front of the Sheraton. The grounds of the Sheraton are lovely. The Embassy has an on site miniature golf course. To me this indicates that it caters more to families and may not be a great place for a couple looking for a more romantic setting. August will be busy enough but when you stay in a Time share (Embassy) you do end up with a greater occupancy rate thatn that of a regular hotel. Best to you.
Old Mar 24th, 2003, 11:52 AM

Just for fun here's an aerial view of both hotels:

http://www.wizardpub.com/maui/mrembassy.html

http://www.wizardpub.com/maui/mrsheraton.html

Old Mar 24th, 2003, 05:54 PM

Suzie gave you good advice.
Old Mar 24th, 2003, 07:29 PM
mlc

We stayed at the Embassy Resort last month and loved it. It is primarily a time share resort, but we weren't pressured or even asked at any time to attend any presentations, and there were a lot of folks just renting units like us. We rented it through a travel agent. It's a beautiful property - open air lobby with lots of tropical plants, a beautiful restaurant area where you walk across a bridge over a small stream to get to the restaurant, a free daily breakfast buffet, beautiful grounds and a wonderful. large pool with waterfall grottos, etc. The rooms were very spacious and clean, and the service was top notch. It was just far enough outside of Kaanapali where you didn't feel all that crowded, but close enough to everything, including the wonderful Napili and Kapalua (sp?) beaches and resorts. The Embassy was filled to capacity, but never felt like it. The people staying there ranged from families to honeymooners (we know two different couples from our tow who honeymooned there recently and loved it!) to senior citizens. It's right across from a grocery store, espresso stand, Maui dive shop, etc. It is true the beach is not as nice as the Kaanapali beach, but the latter is crowded with condos and hotels, so it felt way too crowded for us. Besides, you usually end up going to many different beaches anyway. You can't go wrong at either place, and you'll have a different but enjoyable experience at either. We'd go back to the Embassy in a heartbeat. By the way, I'm a light sleeper, and most hotels are too noisy at night (tv's, stereos, etc) for me to get a good night's sleep, but my wife and I both remarked how quiet the rooms were. And you will encounters families at most any resort you go to (Maui is a family vacation spot), but these resorts tend to absorb the kids really well.
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the helpful information...we still are in the works of deciding what to do and all the advise has helped us a lot. Thanks again!
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 08:50 AM

If romance is a consideration the Embassy suites will be swarmed with children. So will the Sheraton, but not as much. Congrats!