SHelter Island vacation rentals??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2003, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wondering if anyone has info. on Shelter Island for a family vacation. We have a rather large family and would probably be looking to rent a house. Are they very expensive? Any info., would be be appreciated!
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 07:33 AM

Expensive is a relative term. If you're looking for something ON the water, lots of bedrooms, luxurious-yes it's expensive. A current ad in Dan's Papers (www.danspapers.com) has a 5br/4.5ba Victorian in Shelter Island Heights for $50,000 for the month of August.

If you look in the Shelter Island Reporter (www.sireporter.com) you'll see more modest offerings.

You can also try looking on www.hreo.com (Hamptons Real Estate Online). I'd also do a search on www.vrbo.com (vacation rentals by owner) which may also have info on Spring Lake from your other post.

I noticed you liked Block Island from your other post. You might also want to look into Montauk as a location to rent.

The rental market in the Hamptons has been very slow this season. You might find some very good deals. Many people who normally rent for the season didn't rent at all & may be willing to do a week or 2 week rental that they wouldn't otherwise consider. If you like a quieter place, you might try looking at Amagansett which is east of East Hampton but before Montauk.

I have been to Spring Lake but not recently. It's somewhat similar to Shelter Island in feel, only because of the Victorian architecture. Spring Lake is on the ocean while Shelter Island sits in what I think is considered Gardiner's Bay- so there are no big waves.

Unlike Block Island, which is a long ferry ride to the mainland, Shelter Island is quite close to both the north fork of LI (lots of vineyards) & the south fork of the Hamptons & Sag Harbor so it's very easy to get off the island for a meal or shopping if you want.
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 07:35 AM

http://www.sireporter.com/

This might be of some help. Although to answer your question as best I can, Yes, it is very expensive to do anything on Shelter Island. By early March or April, most of the rentals are booked for the summer. But maybe something will be open for you!
Good luck!
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 07:35 AM

I see I posted just as mclaurie did, sorry for being redundant
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your help. I will look into your suggestions!