Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Shelter Island restaurants for reunion--need help, please!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2012, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a family reunion. There will be 12 for dinner Saturday and 12-16 Sunday for breakfast. I live on the other coast and haven't a clue. Help!
For Saturday night I reserved a large table at the restaurant at our hotel (bay Club). Any comments would be appreciated.
Since the hotel has a full house and breakfast buffet is included, they cannot reserve for us. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Would rather not do a $40 brunch. Lunch is a possibility instead if that's easier.
Please help! It's hard to do from the East Coast. (I have no idea why I'm in charge of this...)
Many thanks
Old Jul 20th, 2012, 01:54 PM

There are 4 Hotels on Shelter Island, each has their own restaurant. (Bay Club has a free airport shuttle if needed.)

Bay Club is between Humphreys and Best Western's (Blue Wave Bar & Grill)and you can very easily walk to either from Bay Club literally next door.

Humphreys has a regular Breakfast during weekdays and the very best Champagne Seafood Brunch on Sundays in San Diego.(altho I note you don't want that, listd as others might.)HUmphreys is more upper class that Bay Club, Blay Club more upper class tahn Best Western Blue Wave Bar & Grill.All are fine.

Humphreys also has infamous outdoor summer
concert series, altho you probably don't want that either.

You can also walk next door to Best Western Blue Wave Bar & Grill for breakfast.

Bay Club lunch may be easier as dining room at lunch is usually empty. We like the seared ahi...menus is fine.

Menus are listed on link.

You may also find some coupons on the website as frquesntly Shelter Island Hotels offer dining discounts.

See the link below...
Hummphrey's
Bay Club
Best Western
Kona Kai

http://www.sandiegorestaurants.com/n...r=1/StartRow/1
Old Jul 20th, 2012, 07:44 PM

Drive about 10 minutes to Harbor Island http://www.cohnrestaurants.com/menu-.../island-prime/ - opposite the turn to the airport) - and enjoy one of the best views of SD and also great food at a Chon Group restuarant place - Island Prime/C Level.

If you get there during cocktail hour - 3:30 to 5:30 - during the week - it's $5 for tasty treats and good drinks/glass of vino.
Old Jul 25th, 2012, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! We are staying at Bay Club and will eat there on Saturday night. My sister in law found a restaurant in Balboa Park for Sunday lunch. Which is great because Balboa Park is on my "must see" (again) list and there will be children with us who can spend energy in the park before and after. The restaraunt there is part of the cohn restaurants I believe.
Old Jul 25th, 2012, 06:33 AM

Am guessing your friend is talking about the Prado http://www.cohnrestaurants.com/menu-...nts/the-prado/ which is very good and hope you enjoy it. We just had another marvelous Cocktail hour at C Level last night - with friends who moved to Utah but came back to vist their kids/grankids.

We each had at least one drink and H'or D'ouerve each (moi and my fried - two - his second beverage being a tall beer which was only $4 ) - at $5 each - and for about $30 a couple - had a marvelous time.

Super views and very good food/drinks - and that pretty much goes for all the Cohn group places.

And I was over at Shelter Island yesterday - practicing a little casting with conventional/saltwater reels from the pier. I was going to go out sport fishing - but too many people had signed up for the 3/4 day boat - and since I only live 5 minutes away and can go anytime during the week (when they have lighter loads - 30 or so v. 50 plus competing for space at the rail) - decided to forego it - and guess what?

They had 52 eager fishermen on board and only caught 4 Yellowtail. It's still a little hit and miss for local waters - but the sweet spot of the year locally - August - is just on the horizon.

Also if you have a chance - go by Pt. Loma Seafoods - at the docks - for a good/fresh seafood lunch and/or takout. http://pointlomaseafoods.com/

It's a pretty basic decor - but what a setting - overlooking the boats/docks/bay.