SFO to Yosemite

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 11:44 AM
Carla

SFO to Yosemite

Will be travelling from SFO to Yosemite this summer. What is the best way to get there?I really don't want to rent a car.

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 02:27 PM
Howard

How much time are you planning to spend in Yosemite and what activities do have in mind while there? If you're spending any amount of time in the park, you'll find it inconvenient to be without a car except in part of the Yosemite Valley area (which is really only a small part of the Yosemite experience). If you tell us more about your plans, we might be able to give more/better advice!

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 03:44 PM
Jennifer

Hmmm. That may be a tough one. Yosemite is about 4-5 hours away from the city. It's pretty far away from most metropolitan areas, and is surrounded by other national forests on all sides. I can't think of any companies around here that will shuttle you there, however, I might suggest that you contact the National Park Service or, better yet, the Yosemite Visitor's Center to find out whether any long distance bus services like Greyhound stop off at the park. Otherwise, I would agree with Howard. Yosemite is a huge park with lots to see and trying to get from one area to the next without your own transportation would be hard. Plus, there are some vista stops accessible by road like Glacier Point that provide breathtaking vistas you won't want to miss. However, if you plan on staying in the Valley only, there is a great free valley shuttle service that runs around the area which will pick up and drop off at marked stops. The only alternative I could think of is perhaps a tour group; huge downside to this is you can't explore at your own pace and from what i've seen, bears a striking similarity to a cattle call. But, whatever you do, you'll be amazed by the beauty of the park. Have a great time!

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 06:16 PM
kam

Rent a car. You might want it within the park if you plan to go to Mono Lake or the Mariposa Grove. The shuttle bus in the valley only stays in the valley and doesn't get you to all of the pretty areas of Yosemite. Yosemite is about 4 1/2 hours from the Bay area. Have a great time and don't worry about the driving. Once you leave the SF/Bay area, it's pretty quiet and actually fairly pleasant. If you also visiting SF, you will want to turn your car in when you arrive. A taxi to SFO is easy and fairly cheap or there are shuttles that will take you.

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 08:12 PM
Paul Rabe

For links to info on all types of public transport to and around Yosemite, check out

www.yosemite.com/http/transpor.htm

By riding YARTS, you can get into and around both the Park and its gateway communities without a car. For info on this service, check out

www.yarts.com

If you don't want to rent a car, you don't have to -- IF you are willing to do some planning on when and where you'll be riding the busses.

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 07:09 AM
rob

made the same trip in Nov. '99. got the rental car at SFO & hit the road about 12:30pm....got on the san mateo bridge & headed east......then onto the twisting mountain roads into yosemite. without a doubt the WORST driving experience in my life...got to the valley around 8:30pm. traffic on the interstate was stop and go the entire way...then the 2-lane mountain roads really slowed us down. maybe it was just bad timing or bad luck.

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 10:23 AM
Howard

We had the opposite driving experience than Rob did. We drove from SFO to Yosemite during the height of the tourist season in early August last year and had absolutely no problems and made it in 4-4 1/2 hours.

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 11:02 AM
kam

I can't imagine what could have happened to Rob. Perhaps there was rain, an accident, or was it a holiday weekend? The longest it's ever taken us is about 5 hours. It's important to avoid rush hour and to approach Yosemite from route 140 through El Portal. For those of you from out of state, you might look into flying into Oakland or Fresno or Sacramento as an alternative to SFO. This supposes that you don't want to be in SF during your trip.