Lodging near Yellowstone/Grand Tetons

Old Mar 31st, 2001, 11:20 AM
Diane

Lodging near Yellowstone/Grand Tetons

I am trying to arrange lodging somewhere between Yellowstone and Jackson for early August. I know, I know--I should have done this early. This IS early for me. I wanted to stay on the lake at Signal Mountain (everybody's praise on this site convinced me), but the lake cabins are all taken, and the cabins that are available are too small for my family. I'll keep calling for cancellations, but I'm looking into other places. Has anyone had any experience with Flagg Ranch? Turpin Meadow Ranch? Dornan's Cabins? Cowboy Village Resort (east of Moran Junction on the road to Dubois, not the one in Jackson)? We need comfortable queensize beds. I'm looking for cabins that are not lined up next to each other, preferably with trees around, with scenic views. I'm hoping to find a place with friendly, helpful hosts. Please,
please, please give me some advice.

Old Mar 31st, 2001, 01:38 PM
xxx

test

Old Mar 31st, 2001, 04:47 PM
guy

Lodging anywhere in Yellowstone or Jackson is difficult in August..but not impossible..Might check with the Jackson Lake Lodge ..I am sure they are full..but one never knows..The Cowboy Village toward Dubois at Togatee Pass is fine...but I think if ya keep checking you will find some places in Jackson

Old Apr 1st, 2001, 01:07 AM
diane

Thanks, Guy. I imagine there are lots of motels in Jackson that have rooms, but we don't want to be in Jackson. We prefer to be in a cabin somewhere, preferably beautiful, closer to Yellowstone (but not necessarily IN Yellowstone). We want to hike in the Tetons and maybe drive down to Dubois and see the Wind Rivers (though we may spend a few days near the Tetons and then drive down to Dubois or other town and stay there for a night or two.

If possible, I'd still love some feedback from someone who has stayed at Flagg Ranch or the other places mentioned above. Also, what are the most beautiful hikes for a 60ish couple in fairly good shape? We'll be travelling with a 20ish couple in very good shape (our son and his wife), so we're looking for 2-4 hour hikes that will appeal to all of us.

Old Apr 1st, 2001, 01:42 PM
Sal

We made a reservation at Flagg Ranch a few years ago, but cancelled when a cabin opened up at Signal Mountain. We did stop by Flagg that trip and it looked very nice--saw quite a bit of wildlife near there as a bonus.

By the way, although we were told that our cabin at Signal Mountain wasn't on the lake, we had an unobstructed view and were only about 100 yards from it. We actually liked its location better than the direct lake fronts. Check it out thoroughly before you decide.

One hike that all of you would probably enjoy is the hike up to Inspiration Point in the Tetons. Take the launch across Jenny Lake to reach the trail head, or hike around the lake to it. It's fairly easy and you'll pass some beautiful falls.

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 01:21 AM
diane

Should we spend all our time around the Tetons and Yellowstone? We're planning to drive up through YS and exit NE through the Beartooth Pass and into Montana. Then we want to spend a day in Cody. What I'm asking is whether we should take our whole week to do that, or is it worth it to take some time seeing the Wind River mountains/reservation, etc. What is most worth seeing there?

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 05:09 PM
Stella

The Northeast exit from Yellowstone is indeed beautiful. You can go up to Red Cloud, Montana, and spend the night. The best way to get to Cody might be to drive back over the northeast exit (now the entrance!) because it's beautiful in both directions!

When you go to Cody, be sure to go to the Buffalo Bill Museum. A ticket is good for two days, so if you arrive in the afternoon and can't see everything,
you can go back in the next day. Sorry, I don't know much about the Wind River area. Anybody?

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 11:36 AM
diane

Anybody?

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 11:56 AM
Bob Brown

To the best of my knowledge, the Wind
River Range is not easily seen by the average tourist. You need to get a National Forest Map of that area to see where the roads are. Then you need to plan on driving into the region on dirt roads. And then to really see the mountains you need to walk some.
I was disappointed the time I drove the paved highways in that area. I could not really see much of the range.
If there is a way to see it, I wish someone would fill us all in on how to do it. It is one objective in my travels I have not yet reached. So, if anybody out there has some actuall experience penetrating that area, please give us the low down.