Search

SF to Portland

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2005, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SF to Portland

We are planning a driving trip from San Francisco to Portland in August. We could spend as much as three days to complete the drive. We expect to visit Redwood National Park. What other sights and scenes along the way would be interesting to visit?
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 02:50 PM

That's a great time of year for a drive up the coast. Here are some suggestions for the Oregon portion:

- Jet boat trip up the Rogue River from Gold Beach
- Lighthouse visits, particularly Haceta Head & Cape Blanco
- Oregon Dunes, just south of Florence
- Oregon Coast Aquarium at Newport
- Short hike out Cascade Head, north of Lincoln City
- Three Capes loop near Tillamook
- Hug Point, Ecola, or any of a number of other spectacular state parks and/or beaches.
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 03:08 PM

Oregon Caves National Monument is the largest marble cave in the world and has great stalactites and stalagmites. The National Park Service (NPS) tours are wonderful. It's in a beautiful forest with lots of hiking trails. There is an old NPS lodge at the site that is rustic and great. If you stay there over night, you can get on the first tour of the morning without having to wait.
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 03:55 PM
k8b

Consider a side trip to Ashland Oregon - gorgeous little town, excellent restaurants & shopping plus superb theatre -Shakespeare & others - 9 months a year.
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 04:11 PM

the calif coast north of sf is pretty spetacular too--up to Mendocino--you could overnight there the first night
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 07:06 PM

Also if planning to go through Ashland (which I love as well) You might look into Ashland....Britt Festival is happening that time of year and they have some really great entertainment in an outdoor venue. I believe the website for them is www.Brittfest.org
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 07:08 PM

Pardon the above post...look into Jacksonville just North of Ashland and Medford! Not enough caffiene today I guess..=P
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 04:09 PM

HI there Panhandle! Great suggestion for Ashland. I love this quaint, little gem in Southern Oregon. We recently enjoyed a stop at the Paschal Winery right outside of Ashland. Beautiful tasting room and really nice Pinots there. ***kim***
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 04:25 PM

panhandle, have you made it to New Sammy's Cowboy Bistro yet? I'm excited to try this place in a few weeks when we go over to the coast! ***kim***
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 03:02 PM

Yes I have Kim and it lives up to the hype...book in advance though it can be very difficult to get a table. Shouldnt be as bad this time of year but I would call a couple days in advance if its not to late. The wine list is really good!
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 03:05 PM

Lucky you! Aren't they only open Thurs.-Sun.? I would be there on a Thurs. eve, so I hope to try it. Pricey but worth it, right? Better than Chateaulin? ***kim***
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 04:04 PM

Yes IMO its better. Chateaulin has gone a little downhill in the last year or so. Maybe it is just me but the service which used to be great has been a little spotty. Yes it is expensive but worth it for a splurge. Also if you happen to be in the Grants Pass area Gaetano's which used to be Legrand's has great food as well. Things seem to be picking up in the valley for food! It feels like yesterday the only "decent" place to eat was Sizzler.LOL
Old Jan 29th, 2005, 10:25 AM

I've dined at Chateaulin twice, one of the times being in Nov. We had excellent service each time and the food is very good there.

I'd like to see more places adopt the concept of two small glasses of wine being included in the prix fixe menu.

We've had fun meals at Rafter's in Grant's Pass at the Riverside,how is that place doing these days? ***kim***