SF to Mendocino drve time

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2007, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WHat is the average driving time from downtown SF to Mendocino, and from Mendocino to the SF airport? Would it be more convenient to use the Oakland airport in terms of driving back from Mendocino?
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 09:40 AM

It depends on which way you go. I just did this trip a few weeks ago, and it took me just under 6 hours (with a quick lunch stop) to drive Hwy 1 the whole way from Mendocino to my hotel in Union Square. Going back, it took just over 3 hours via 101 and 128. But I wouldn't hesitate to take Hwy 1 again, it's SO dramatic and gorgeous. So consider going up one way, and back another way.

Hopefully someone else will chime in about the airport question.
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 10:19 AM

normally oakland makes much more sense for n of SF. But these aws a wreck adn fir on the freeways there yesterday--dont know exacatly where, but righ taorund the oiakland airport and the freeway was seriously damaged. .
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 01:48 PM

I've done all of them and our favorite choice is Sacramento airport. You will have none of the traffic issues and there will be plenty right now, I imagine!!
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 02:18 PM

You could also fly into Santa Rosa-
STS-on Alaska/Horizon from LAX and have an hour + of your trip up 101 already out of the way.

If that doesn't wotk, I go with SFO
or Sacramento until they get the tanker explosion mess cleaned on on the '80's
freeways in Oakland.

R5
Old May 3rd, 2007, 08:05 PM

Hi there,
I actually live in Mendocino.. grew up here! I would not recommend driving up the coast. It is absolutely gorgeous, but neverending. I'd recommend driving up to Cloverdale and cutting across Hwy 128. If you get car sick, you might want to take Hwy 20 through Willits. 128 is much prettier-- vineyards, coastline, etc. but it take 1 1/2 hours to get through the curves. Going 20 take 1/2 hour of turny stuff off but isn't as pretty.
It'll take you about 3 1/2 hours from SF to get to Mendocino if you don't have to pull over every 5 minutes ;-)
As far as airports go, we always go out of Oakland when we fly anywhere. It is a bit more convenient in my opinion coming from the North of the bay. It doesn't really matter though. Someone suggested Santa Rosa. This is probably much more expensive. I've never been in or out of that airport living in this area and have been in and out of Oakland and San Francisco hundreds of times. Some people prefer Sacramento also. This is a bit more out of the way, but the airport isn't nearly as crowded and easier to get in and out of.
Have a happy trip! Let me know if you want advice about where to stay or eat!
Old May 4th, 2007, 01:38 PM

Don't worry about the Macarthur maze problem. It looks like the connector you would take to go to OAK will be in operation very soon.
Old May 5th, 2007, 03:54 PM
WFT

sarahevan5

I would love some advice where to eat and what to do. I think I've found a place to stay. Is 3 nights enough (out of 7)? We are leaving SFO in June on a Monday & planning on driving up the coast to Elk. I'll get the patch for the drive up, thanks! [email protected]