Search

SF Parking

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 05:30 PM
TexGal

SF Parking

I'll be staying downtown. Can't beleive that the hotel where I'm staying charges $30.00 a day to park. Any ideas on where to park cheaper? Thanks.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 06:33 PM
paul

These are city operated places:
www.ci.sf.ca.us/dpt/where.htm

And here are some private places:
(click on district, then blue area)
www.parkingquest.com/sfmap.html

Good luck!

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 07:13 PM
kam

That's why we natives are recommending that you don't rent a car, but you really have a hard time listening to us.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 07:20 PM
janis

Visitors should not rent a car in SF. As you have found, the parking is REALLY expensive. But that will be the LEAST of your problems. There are reasons more than half of the people who LIVE in SF do not have cars. The driving is VERY congested and the hills are trecherous.

So save the money and forget renting a car.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 07:20 PM
jake

Hey Kam!!

COOL IT WITH THE RUDE COMMENTS!! TEXGAL WAS JUST ASKING FOR INFORMATION.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 07:39 PM
kam

i never meant to be rude, only truthful---you do not want to have a rental car in SF. That's the reality of the city.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 07:53 PM
janis

Hey Jake - kam wasn't rude. I thought it was funny. Posters on this board are advised every single day to not drive in SF.

And quit with the All-Caps -- now THAT is rude.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 07:54 PM
TexGal

Since driving in SF is not a good idea, what do you suggest? I'll be in SJ a couple of days prior to my visit in SF. I want to drive to SF to see things along the way. Should I leave my car at the hotel? Is there a train station on the out-skirts of SF where I can leave the rental? Thanks.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 08:22 PM
Betsy

TG, you can drive to a BART station in Colma or Daly City, leave your car there and take BART into SF. Type Bay Area Rapid Transit into a search engine such as Google to find a map of the system. The drive north on I-280 is scenic, and you can reach either BART station from the highway.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 07:05 AM
Bill

If you value convenience over money - I'd have to disagree with everyone here. I'd drive and pay the price for hotel parking.

I think that most people would agree that if folks are flying into SFO to visit San Francisco - they shouldn't rent a car.

Under your circumstances, you'll already have a car and be driving up from the South Bay. If San Francisco is the last leg of your trip, you might want to think about returning it once you arrive.

I WOULDN'T leave it at a BART station. San Francisco does have a train station, but it is sadly very small and has no private parking. (The large train station is across the Bay in Oakland).

If you truly want to ditch the car for the remainder of your trip, you should be able to return it at SFO and easily get transportation to your hotel from their.

Since you'll already have it - you might want to pop for the garage fee for a night and see if you'll really use it - perhaps to drive out the Great Highway or the windmills of Golden Gate Park.

Driving isn't really that impossible in San Francisco (there's plenty of signage to get your around). It's the parking that kills you. Even at that there are plenty of garages in touristy areas (although they do come at a hefty price).

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 07:16 AM
Parrot Mom

Our hotel had a "deal" with a parking garage a block away and that was convenient for going out of the city.. Also, taxi cabs are fairly inexpensive.. Its the one way streets that had us "bonkers", especially at night trying to go down one of their infamous steep streets..lol

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 07:23 AM
gc

Without a car, it's pretty difficult to drive over the Golden Gate and into the Marin headlands...something you need to do if you've not done it before.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 07:55 AM
David

TexGal,

Since you will be coming from San Jose, you could take the Caltrain from the city up to San Francisco. You can catch the train at the Diridon Station which is at Cahill and West San Fernando Streets.

http://www.transitinfo.org/Caltrain/...s/SanJose.html

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 08:47 AM
Bill

Skip the train - it'll take over two hours and is slow as dirt. Stick with the car. Public transit is OK if you're already in the city - but the convenience of being able to quickly drive up from the South Bay coupled with the personal freedom of your own vehicle outweighs all of the other options - in my opinion.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 08:55 AM
LCM

Just came back from SF and rented a car to go to Tahoe. Rented it to leave SF for the trip and dropped it off when I got back into SF. After that took cabs around city or to ferry for Tiburin, Sausalito, etc. Got back too late into SF when I needed to drop car off and dealt with an hour of looking for a space near my brother's apartment. No thank you!

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 09:03 AM
Allie

TexGal,

The one thing you might want to do if you're not going to be using your car at all while visiting SF is to park it in a safe residential neighborhood on the street, then walk to a busy area where you can catch a cab back to your hotel. When you're ready to leave, cab to your car with your luggage, then take off from there. I know it's a huge pain, but you'll save some money. You might try Pacific Heights or the Marina - those neighborhoods are right near the Golden Gate Bridge.

I used to live in Russian Hill and parking was near impossible to find in the late evenings. If friends were coming in to town, I would typically follow them in my car to around the Divisidero/Broadway area, have them park near the multi-million dollar houses (where there is plenty of street parking) and drive them back to my house. It's generally pretty safe there and there's not as much traffic as in other parts of the city. Make sure, though, that you take everything out of your car before leaving it.

Sorry I can't be much more help, but you're probably not going to find much in the way of parking for less than $25/day downtown unless you're lucky enough to find a street spot. Then you'll have to worry about break-ins and street cleaning.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 09:21 AM
David

TexGal,

Despite what Bill says about not taking the the train, it is still your best option. It will take at least the same amount of time to drive up to SF from city as it will to take a train, especially if you are traveling on a weekday afternoon and get caught in the nasty commute traffic. The train ride is relaxing. Try to look for an express train that has fewer stops to make the trip faster.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 09:29 AM
Susan

David, TexGal mentioned she wants to see the scenery on the way from San Jose to SF and the train does not go through the most scenic parts of town. A drive up 280, possibly with a stop at Filoli Gardens, would make for a nice day.

There are many rental car companies located in the Union Square area of SF. TexGal, can you look into returning the car when you get to SF? Will you be needing a car to leave the city after your visit? Are you planning any drives to Marin, Sonoma, etc.?

Another option is to stay somewhere with free parking. There are a number of hotels in the Marina district that offer free or pretty cheap parking.