Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

SF City Guides Tour - Chinatown or North Beach?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2009, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be visiting San Francisco in early November and plan to take part in a San Francisco City Guides (free) walking tour the morning of Saturday, November 7th. We only have time for one tour and have narrowed it down to Chinatown, North Beach or the Mission Murals.

Chinatown http://www.sfcityguides.org/desc.html?tour=8
North Beach http://www.sfcityguides.org/desc.html?tour=56
Mission Murals http://www.sfcityguides.org/desc.html?tour=51

Has anyone done these tours? Do you have a preference? What is your favorite neighbourhood in San Francisco?

Thank you
Old Oct 4th, 2009, 02:27 PM

I've done the Chinatown and North Beach ones but not the Mission Murals.

Furthermore, my North Beach tour was at night.

A lot has to do with the tour guide, so it's difficult to say which one will be more interesting for you.

Our Chinatown guide, for example, did not go to Waverley Place where a number of Tong buildings are situated (see the photo for Chinatown on your link, those are the tong buildings). She, however, took us for a special tour of the place where she worked - the Donaldina Cameron House.

Looking back over the half dozen tours, I'd say that every single one of the City Guides tours have been interesting and the guides have all been wonderful, so I'd suggest choosing the one that most interests you.
Old Oct 4th, 2009, 03:04 PM

My wife is a City Guide - but does not do any of these tours. We've been on the Chinatown tour, but not the others. Like easy mentioned, a lot depends on the guide. Our Chinatown guide has a college degree on Asian religion & customs (or something like that). Although not Chinese, she was a wealth of knowledge. She answered all our questions. We've lived in SF or close by for 34 years, and I've worked with dozens & dozens of Chinese people in the Information Technology field. I learned quite a bit of new info on this walking tour.

The Chinatown tour is one of the most popular tours that City Guides conducts.

Stu Dudley
Old Oct 4th, 2009, 03:22 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
A couple years ago we did the North Beach tour and thoroughly enjoyed it. Our guide seemed very knowledgeable and we learned alot about the history of the area as well as the current situation there.
Old Oct 4th, 2009, 04:03 PM

Pick the one that you are most interested in, I will bet it will be very rewarding. We did 2 this year, Victorian House [with Mrs Stu, by the way] and CityScapes with Jay and his golden doodle and official guide dog, Norton]. Both were excellent!

I am planning a trip back to SF where I will spend the majority of my time doing these guided tours! Seriously, they are that good!

Deb
Old Oct 4th, 2009, 05:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have done the Chinatown tour and it was terrific. I have also done the Palace Hotel and Ferry Bldg. tours and they are also excellent. The only one I did not care for was the Naughty & Baudy - a lot of stories and not much to see.