SF Bay Area Vacation June (long)

Old May 26th, 1999, 12:30 PM
MK

SF Bay Area Vacation June (long)

We will be spending a week in the Bay Area during the first of June. We will spend 3 nights in S.F., one night in wine country, and then on to Monterey for 2 nights. With those time frames what are the must sees (especially in wine country as our time there is most limited)? Also, are there any decent places to stay in the Sonoma Valley for $75 - $100 per night? Finally, we will be spending the last night near the airport in SF as we have an early flight out. What are the safe areas around the airport? Thanks in advance for your reply.

Old May 26th, 1999, 02:23 PM
Monica Richards

If it were me, I'd spend two nights in the Wine Country and one in Monterrey. You should be able to find something in Sonoma in your price range--try www.napavalley.com for Bed and Breakfast listings (I recall they have a Sonoma listing too). As far as must sees, you probably have plenty earmarked for San Francisco, but do stop at the Vista Point after you cross the Golden Gate on your way to Sonoma--on a clear day you get a great view of the bridge and the City (good photo opp). There are way too many wineries in Sonoma and Napa to mention. My advice there is go to the little ones you have never heard of, with only one mega-tour. The wine is usually better at the little ones, and the ambience and experience is better too. As far as Monterrey, the aquarium is a must see. The 29 mile drive is also worth it, if only to see how the "other half" lives in the gigantic mansions you see along the road there. Carmel is also a nice town with lots of boutique shopping. There's a good beach near the downtown too, for that romantic stroll along the water).

Old May 26th, 1999, 02:23 PM
Monica Richards

If it were me, I'd spend two nights in the Wine Country and one in Monterrey. You should be able to find something in Sonoma in your price range--try www.napavalley.com for Bed and Breakfast listings (I recall they have a Sonoma listing too). As far as must sees, you probably have plenty earmarked for San Francisco, but do stop at the Vista Point after you cross the Golden Gate on your way to Sonoma--on a clear day you get a great view of the bridge and the City (good photo opp). There are way too many wineries in Sonoma and Napa to mention. My advice there is go to the little ones you have never heard of, with only one mega-tour. The wine is usually better at the little ones, and the ambience and experience is better too. As far as Monterrey, the aquarium is a must see. The 29 mile drive is also worth it, if only to see how the "other half" lives in the gigantic mansions you see along the road there. Carmel is also a nice town with lots of boutique shopping. There's a good beach near the downtown too, for that romantic stroll along the water).

Old May 26th, 1999, 03:07 PM
stephanie

We stayed at the Oyster Point Marina Inn near the airport when we flew in late to S.F., it was in a business park/marina area - very nice. I don't remember how near the airport, but I want to say that it's no more than 5 min. N. It's a b & b style place with a nice breakfast included. Rooms are charming, staff very friendly and helped us plan our next day in S.F. before we left there. It does have good views of the Oyster Point Marina. If you're looking for a place that's not your basic motel this is a nice idea. I'm sure they have a website. Just type in the whole name, and see what you find.

Old May 27th, 1999, 12:27 AM
Jan

Re the wine country checkout the last Fodors hosted forum (10-23 May), John Doerper passed on some very useful information there and even offered itineraries for one or two day tours of the area.