SF and Carmel in December

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11th, 2005, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are traveling with an 11 month old baby to visit friends in SF over Christmas. We want to get out of the city for a few days and explore. We were in Napa 2 years ago so were thinking of going south this time and were thinking of staying in Carmel. What is the weather like in December? Is Carmel a good choice? What activities do people recommend?
Old Sep 11th, 2005, 08:22 AM

Carmel is a great choice. December weather is iffy - but there is a good chance that it will be excellent. I could rain - but it does not rain every year - and rarely every day. Yet - most of what you do there is outdoors.....

There is a real vibrance in Carmel in December because many people come for the holidays. The town is full of shops and galleries - upscale and not tacky, for the most part. The beach is lovely. there is golf and hiking. Our grandchild baby loves the beach there....at 9 months old.

You will have a fine time there - unless it rains. So I would spend more time figuring out what you would do with a baby if you could not go out in the rain each day. I'm sure you will get suggestions from this list!
Old Sep 11th, 2005, 10:12 AM

The weather is funny In December. It can rain a whole lot in November and then December comes along and theweather is beautiful. Usually most people want it to be kind of rainy and cozy for the holidays, but more times than not we take a long walk on the beach on Christmas Eve.

Of coarse one never knows what the weather can do,so make alternative plans.
Old Sep 12th, 2005, 07:50 AM

Well, December is definitely in the rainy season. However, there is often nice weather between rainstorms, and the air quality is superb - I love that "washed" look the S.F. skyline acquires after a big storm. Carmel is a destination with some nice activities for inclement weather,such as the nearby Monterey Acquarium. And of course, you could spend all day shopping in the many boutiques and galleries.

I say yes to a December visit.
Old Sep 12th, 2005, 07:52 AM

I'd definitely go in December. Even on a rainy day, the area is beautiful.
Old Sep 12th, 2005, 03:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Be sure to check out the Monarch butterflies over-wintering in Pacific Grove. Fascinating!!

MY
Old Nov 8th, 2005, 04:50 PM

We live in this area. December is a great time to come. The usual crowd is gone and the weather can be fantastic. Even if it does rain it does not last forever. The fireplaces will be going and the shops will be decorated for the holidays. My wife and I had a great drive in a convertible on New Year's Day last year. You never know......
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 07:54 AM

I have been to Carmel between Christmas and New Years and it was fabulous. The weather is as described, but the decorations and atmosphere are wonderful. For activities, I mostly played golf and drove to see redwood forests and shopped.