SF Airport directions to Pacifica

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2003, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are traveling to Carmel for our 20th anniversary and will be flying in to SF on Oct. 7, 11:15 am. We're renting a convertible and we want to enjoy the Pacific Coast Hwy from Pacifica to Carmel on the day we arrive.

Seems like we'll have to travel a little north from the airport to get to the coast in order to hit Pacifica... we really love the idea of all the cliffside driving!

Any direction suggestions?

Also, returning back to SF on Mon., Oct. 13 what should we allow for time getting back to the airport from Carmel Highlands? Flight is at 2:22 pm. Should we drive Rt. 17 or some other route considering traffic and time of day?

Can't wait. Have read most posts from the past 6 months, so we have a good idea of must see places.

Old Sep 1st, 2003, 07:44 AM
glo

Instead of backtracking to Pacifica, I would take highway 92 west to Half Moon Bay and catch Highway 1 to Carmel from there. Half Moon Bay is only a few miles south of Pacifica, and a much more scenic little town. Coming back, Highway 17 should be fine.
Old Sep 1st, 2003, 08:32 AM

I agree w/ glo. Unless one is staying in Pacifica there would be no reason to head that way to catch hwy 1. Start out from Half Moon Bay . . . .
Old Sep 1st, 2003, 08:49 AM

I agree with the HMB suggestion -- 380 West to 280 South to 92 West

UNLESS you're really looking forward to the cliffside driving (which you mention you are) -- devils slide might be kinda fun if the weather's right, the traffic's not bad & you're not from a coastal region.
Old Sep 1st, 2003, 09:04 AM

Just ask diretions from the car agent and get one of the free maps they give you. You can also use mapblast, yahoo maps, etc to look online. Pacifica is not far at all from SFO (just over the hill if you look west). Find your way to Westbourough Blvd in South San Francisco, follow it up and over the ridge and down to Pacifica where you can jump on 1. (Westborough becomes Sharp Park Blvd at the crest when it ctosses Sklyline Blvd). Driving time from SFO car rental place to 1 going this way is about 15 min. I think it is a good idea to start south from Pacifica - you will get to see Devils Slide, Montara Light Station, some sweeping beaches, Pillar Pt Harbor, Mavericks surfing area and Miramar beach community all on the way to Half Moon Bay. On the return route, leaving about 9am will allow plenty of time if you take 17.
Old Sep 1st, 2003, 09:23 AM

Hi, Makai!

You could go the way suggested by glo or, if you are determined to go to Pacifica:

From the airport, ask the rental desk to map/give directions from the rental lot to Interstate 380. Take 380. It's very short. From 380, take 280 northbound for San Francisco. A few miles north you will come to another split. Take Highway 1 to Pacifica. Highway 1 puts you along the coast all the way to Carmel.

Most of this part of Highway 1 will be at relatively low levels. There are a number of charming little towns along the way - Montara, Moss Beach, Princeton by the Sea - before you reach Half Moon Bay. Very refreshing drive!

The really spectacular part of Highway 1 is SOUTH of Carmel along Big Sur. I would save that for another day than the first day of arrival. For the half day you have after arrival, it'll be enough driving just to get from SFO to Carmel. You'll want to stop along the way and make it a leisurely drive.

For the way back: Highway 17 is through the mountains and winds around quite a bit. From 17 you could take 280 northbound to San Francisco. Cross over on 380 again and follow the signs to the airport.

If you are in a hurry, you could go up Highway 1, cross over on Highway 156. 156 is relatively short and very flat. This should get you to Highway 101. It's a straight shot up 101 to San Francisco International Airport. It's all pretty much flatland driving all the way on this route. Not as scenic as the 18-280 combo.

I would guesstimate that it'll be about a 3 hour drive, a bit more if you are going over the Santa Cruz Mountains. So, for a 2:22p flight, what with having to return the car, I would suggest leaving Carmel Highlands about 9 or 9:30 at the latest. This will give you about a two hour cushion at the airport. It's hard to guess how busy the airport will be. There was a huge dropoff in traffic after 9/11, but things have picked up quite a bit since then - at least in my experience.

Welcome to California! The Pacific Coast Highway drive is a Grrreat drive! This is one of the most spectacular drives in the world!
Old Sep 1st, 2003, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks much for the input...
I'm with you sunnybrook, as we'd really like to experience Devil's Slide and all the small stops down the coast. We're in no hurry to the Highlands, and look forward to spending leisure time during the week in Monterey and putsing down Big Sur.

CAN NOT WAIT.

Thanks again.