Seward worth it after 7 day Cruise?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2006, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm wondering how much time to spend and what I should see in Seward, esp. after a 7 day cruise from Vancouver to Seward. What special things I will see in Seward that I wouldn't have seen already from the long cruise?

I'm not too keen about taking that whole day cruise out to the Kenai Fjord after just getting off a 7-day cruise. Besides, is the glacier here any better than what I would have seen in Glacier Bay NP and College Fjord?

Also, is Exit Glacier better than Mendenhall Glacier? In Juneau, I'm planning
to take the bus up to Mendenhall Glacier and hike for a good portion of the day. Would Exit Glacier add anything different to my glacier experience?

The other choice is to kayak in Seward, but I'm also thinking of doing that in Ketchikan.

Given all those things, should I just do a short activity in Seward when my cruise ship and head straight to Anchorage and Denali for the rest of the trip?

My main constraint is transportation in Seward. One-way car rental is darn expensive, and I'm only planning to take it to Exit Glacier, so it might not justify the $250 per day rate. And taking the bus or train to anchorage that night would get me into Anchorage really late at night.

Anyhow, sorry for such a long post. If you could convince me one way or the other about Seward, that would help me in my planning. Thanks much!
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 12:07 PM

Put Seward in and search the Fodor's forum and you will find many posts about the question you asked. Seward has lot's to offer -- and since you are already there -- it will be a shame if you don't take advantage of it's opportunities.
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 12:43 PM

I don't know what the other glacier is like, but Exit glacier was wonderful.
It's a very easy 1/2 mile walk to get up close and personal with a fantastic glacier. The Sealife Center in Seward, although small, is also very nice.
I wouldn't go to Seward for more than a day, although it's well worth the visit. Are you considering going to Homer? I would go there, if you have the chance.
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 01:05 PM

If you have a large cruise ship for your 7-day cruise, consider a smaller boat in Seward. That way you can get closer to the wildlife and have a different experience. Misty and Mariah are small boats I've taken. I've also taken Bonine before boarding!

As to what is special in Seward vs. Glacier Bay? With wildlife and nature it is hard to answer just what you will see in either place. But going both places increases your odds of seeing something special. You don't know what the weather will be like either place. I've been pretty much fogged in while on Glacier Bay and unable to see any of the beautiful scenery. But that day we saw orcas up close!

The stellar sea lions have been more visible with closer views in Resurrection Bay in Seward than in Glacier Bay in my experiences.

You never know when the glaciers, seen from the boat, are calving so visiting two areas with glaciers increases your odds of good views of calving.

On two Alaska trips I've visited both Seward and Glacier Bay, once with Seward first, once with Seward last. These two locations had the most wildlife.

I'd do kayaking in Ketchikan rather than Seward, as you mentioned.

If you do arrive in Anchorage late at night on the train or bus, at least it won't be dark. The Anchorage-Seward train trip was beautiful and worthwhile in itself.

An extra $250 for car rental may be enough of a deterrent to nix Seward. If so, and Seward must go, at least you have 7 days of cruising in Alaska's beauty well as Glacier Bay.
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 01:13 PM

We loved the whole day cruise out to the Kenai Fjord because we saw lots of wildlife--the whales were sooo close!

On Exit Glacier you can walk right up to the glacier--it's a very different (but worthwhile) experience than Mendenhall.

The SeaLife Center was certainly worth a visit--and the behind the scenes tour was great.
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 04:54 AM

No what you "see" from your cruise ship is NOTHING like a Kenai fjords boat cruise. This is loaded with close up varied wildlife and a close up glacier view. All superior to anything from your ship. The last day of your cruise- ask how many people saw wildlife, plenty will say none.

Exit glacier is also nothing like Mendenhall. I'll assume you hiking the WEST side all day, with a guide?? This does allow some glacier access and great views, so probably could skip Exit. But if you are only hiking from the East side, you have no glacier access and few views if you are taking the East Loop or Nugget Creek trails. (which sounds like your plan since you mention "bus") this is mostly woods trails.

Here are some photos to tell the story of Kenai Fjords- a small sample- an always must do for me, every trip.

http://community.webshots.com/user/budgetqueen

I suggest you may want to consider, getting off your ship early, take a cab to Exit Glacier, drop off bags at Kenai Fjords boat tours, spend an hour or two. Cab back to Kenai Fjords boat tour. There is an 11:30am 6 hour trip. www.kenaifjords.com Then take the train to Anchorage. Yep, you get in late, get a downtown hotel, with a shuttles for both the depot and airport. Pick up your car the next day and head to Denali Park.
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, all, for your suggestions and recommendations about Seward. I'm still not too keen about taking a 6 hour boat tour of the Kenai Fjord though after getting off a 7-day cruise. Let me see whether I'm happy enough with what I what I saw on the long cruise. HOpe it's not too bad to reserve 2 seats on a boat tour on the day I land in Seward.

Also, is it possible to see the Kenai Fjord on a hike? I'd rather get out and walk than get stuck on another long boat ride though.

Thanks!
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 03:24 AM

Since you do not want to do the boat tour. Hike to the Harding Ice Field, all day and be well prepared. http://www.nps.gov/kefj/index.htm
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 03:36 AM

JC98, how many days do you have after your cruise before flying home from Anchorage?
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 08:16 AM

The 6 hour Kenai boat trip and a cruise are so different that it's almost impossible to compare them. A cruise line is, to me, a flosting hotel (and a large hotel at that), and you are often quite removed from the water.
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

Pat2003, after the cruise, I'll be on land for 4 days. I plan to do one day in Seward, take a train to Anchorage that evening. Rent a car and depart Anchorage the next morning for Denali and stay there for 2 nights, and come back to Anchorage on the 4th day and fly out of Anchorage after midnight.

After hearing so many positive things about the Kenai cruise, I'll definitely keep it as part of my plan but without making reservation right now. I like BQ's earlier suggested itinerary about hiking Exit Glacier and then do the 6 hour cruise and then train to Anchorage.

But if I like the hiking enough, or don't feel like going on another boat trip, I have to figure out what else to do in Seward. I'll look into other extensive hikes, like the Harding Ice Field. Hope it doesn't require specialized equipment or skills.

Thanks all for your help.