Matanuska Glacier

Old Jun 12th, 2004, 05:53 PM
RP
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Matanuska Glacier

We are going to be a spending a week in Alaska before doing a one way cruise to Vancouver from Whittier.

Someone highly recommended visiting the Matanuska Glacier. We will have plenty of opportunities to visit glaciers around Whittier and Seward so wanted to find out from someone who has been to both whether it is worth going to Matanuska.
Old Jun 12th, 2004, 06:42 PM

IMHO, I would say no based on the fact that you don't have a lot of time and will be seeing others during your cruise.

There are other things to see that you won't be able to see on the cruise.
Old Jun 13th, 2004, 01:34 AM

I agree with Connie. If you only had a more time, hiking on the glacier would be a very unique experience. However, I would focus on many other very interesting things to do and bear watching is just one of them. There are many activities from Homer. I highly recommend visiting Halibut Cove. If not bear watching I suggest to visit Denali. It is vast, peaceful and so beautiful.
Old Jun 13th, 2004, 03:57 PM

I agree as well. Having just returned from a trip. We did the Kenai Fjords Northwestern glacier cruise in Seward and also spent a day ice climbing on the Matanuska glacier. I've done the glacier cruise from Whittier on a previous trip.
Bottom line - Matanuska is great if you want to trek on it or try the ice climbing, otherwise I would definitely not make the trip. Kenai Fjords is long day, not as many glaciers to see as from Whittier, but you get to see tons of wildlife(whales, seals, sea lions, birds, etc.)on the trip. Whittier is more glaciers, but not much for wildlife(some sea otters, birds, etc). The water is also calmer there than going out into Kenai Fjords National Park.
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 03:26 PM

I would only go IF you want glacier Trekking and then you need to be guided. MICA guides offers a great tour. Where are you going in the 7 days? It is 2 hours from Anchorage- so a day trip. Are you going on boat tour out of Whittier and Seward?? You need to to see glaciers, except you can walk up to Exit and Portage- both only so so glaciers compared to the sail in areas however. I've seen them all.