Several Alaska questions - Juneau, Homer, Seward, train

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8th, 2019, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We may travel via train from Anchorage to Denali. It looks like we have 3 options:
1- Gold Star ($325)- dome ceiling , 2 meals ( I think this includes gratuity), upper outside deck
2- Adventure class ($176) purchase meals, large windows, shared dome window lower train
3- Wilderness Express ($249) I believe dome window, meals for purchase, and I think outside viewing on lower train.

Any thoughts on these options, we will be traveling June 8 or 9. Is the view with the dome worth the extra $$.
thanks,

Last edited by Moderator4; Dec 9th, 2019 at 06:52 AM.
Old Dec 8th, 2019, 06:15 PM
Original Poster

Juneau

We will disembark from a cruise on May 30th at 8:30 AM in Juneau. Trying to decide how much time to spend there before flying to Anchorage. We want to see Mendenhall Glacier, hike the Mt Roberts trail and take the tram down, and probably the Alaska State Museum or Sealaska Heritage (possibly both). We also are considering the a flight to the Take Glacier Lodge for the salmon bake, any thoughts on that?? We could have the whole day of the 30th; if I add 2 more days that seems like enough or could we fly out on at say 5 PM on June 1st( that would give us the 30, 31, and much of the 1st.
Old Dec 8th, 2019, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

Taku Glacier Lodge

Have nay of you taken the float plain to Taku Glacier Lodge for the salmon bake? If so, what are your imprssions?
Thank you,
Old Dec 8th, 2019, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

Homer

We plan to spend 3 days in Homer the first week of June. I thought we would go to dinner at Halibut Cove or Seldovia one day. Any recommendations of which one and how long we need to plan to reach either. Are we able to take the ferry and then linger at each for a while? We would also like to hike, would Kachemak Bay State Park be a good option. Any other ideas are appreciated.

Last edited by tidy; Dec 8th, 2019 at 06:48 PM. Reason: misspelling in title
Old Dec 8th, 2019, 06:47 PM
Original Poster

Seward

We plan to spend 2 days in Seward in early June and could possibly add a 3rd day. One day we will go to Fox Island to dinner so that will fill one day. We enjoy hiking and I think that I have read that kayaking is nice in this area. any ideas, suggestions.
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 02:29 AM

Could you have put ALL of your questions in ONE place.
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 04:19 AM

We have only taken the Alaska train from Anchorage to Seward, and I hear that is much more scenic than the route to Denali. If that is so, it may impact your decision as to whether or not Gold Star is worth the extra $$.

However - we have done both standard no-frills class and Gold Star. On the route to Seward, at least, we were very glad to have that dome ceiling and outside deck. The personnel brought us drinks, which was nice, the food I really don't really recall except that it was better than Amtrak from Vancouver to Seattle.
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 05:19 AM
Original Poster

I suppose I could have but I am hoping I will get a better response as some people may not have any information on some of the questions. Does that work for you?
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 06:53 AM
Forum Moderator

I have merged five threads into one for the sake of continuity and economy. I've re-titled this thread accordingly.

Moderator 4