Sequoia or Yosemite?

Search

Sequoia or Yosemite?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sequoia or Yosemite?

Hello. I'm traveling to Sequoia or Yosemite from LA and looking for advice on itinerary and camping recommendations. Will have about 5 days. I'm okay to stay in one area but if doable would love to see both in one trip. Too much? Thanks in advance for advice, especially regarding campgrounds.
Old Aug 15th, 2007, 03:09 PM

We've camped in both Yosemite and Sequoia - enjoyed both very much.

Yosemite is more spectacular than Sequoia, but it is also much more crowded, esspecially in the summer. It is definitely a trade off.

Yosemite Valley is quite compact and when we go, we pretty much leave the car parked and then walk, bike, or take the shuttle around the valley. At Sequoia, things are more spread out so you will end up driving around more.

Reservations are important at both parks to make sure you have a campsite.

In Yosemite, we have always stayed at the Housekeeping Camp, which are tent cabins along the river. I have been through the Pines campgrounds and they look very nice. I am not familiar with campgrounds outside the valley.

In Sequoia, we stayed at Lodgepole Campground, which is pretty centrally located. It is right along the Kaweah river (I think that is the name) and is made up of several sections, so it doesn't feel like as big of a campground as it is. There is also a nice store, visitors center and some other things at the entrance.

As for an itinerary, I think that if this is your one chance to see these parks, I would go to both - you will be more rushed, but it is doable. If you live in California or will be back, I would concentrate on 1 park and see the other on another trip. Which park depends on what you want out of the trip. If I were going and it was summer, I would choose Sequoia because the Yosemite crowds would really put a damper on my experience.
Old Aug 16th, 2007, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your advice. Much appreciated. I think we will go just to Sequoia on this trip. Couldn't get a spot at Lodgepole but got one at Dorst which looks to be ideally located as well. Next time Yosemite when the crowds are thinner! Thanks again.
Old Aug 16th, 2007, 05:23 PM
SEW

Dorst is a good choice. The other half just spent 6 days between Sequoia and Kings Canyon and said location was good.
Old Aug 16th, 2007, 05:32 PM

Melanieca,

Since you have 5 days, I recommend one of those 5 days taking a drive into Kings Canyon NP (adjacent to Sequoia NP) to the Cedar Grove area. The drive is amazing, there is more color variety to the rocks than you will see elsewhere in Sequoia. It is just so beautiful, tall steep rocks, a river at the bottom, you will be crossing several climate and vegetation zones. Gas up before you go. At Cedar Grove there are few services: a small gift shop, food counter. You could make it as a day trip from Sequoia.

There are more services at Grant Grove, along with some short hikes into see the spectacular trees. We did a few hikes in Grant Grove. The trees were huge.

At Cedar Grove, we hiked in the Zumwalt meadow, and the next day we hiked farther into the canyon on a day hike - I don't remember the name of the trail but it started at the "Road's End Permit Station", went along the river and then started going up. We just turned and came back the same way.

At Sequoia, a lot of people go up to Moro Rock, but we got a recommendation to go up to Buck Rock instead which was very beautiful and less crowded. There's a manned fire lookout at the top - a lot of stairs, but really worth it. Buck Rock is in Sequoia National Forest between Sequoia NP and the Grant Grove area of Kings Canyon.

There is a nice hike along the river/creek in Lodgepole.

Take a hike into one of the many groves, you won't be disappointed. The rangers were very helpful.

Take in a ranger program at night, they are at most of the larger campgrounds. My daughter and I learned about the local mammals and birds this way.

Um... meals..., there aren't a lot of dining choices in the parks, so stock up before you arrive.

One thing I recommend is visit the NPS website and download the park map. http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisi...ad/sekiMap.pdf
Use it to plan your itinerary. Leave some free time to just enjoy the beautiful scenery.

When I was in Sequoia / Kings Canyon last August and traffic was nil. I would also check the NPS website for any road construction.

Happy Travels!
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 09:07 AM

When we were at Sequoia, we had originally planned to take a day and go to Kings Canyon. It was pretty warm when we were there and we were having too much fun sitting in the river, so we never made it over there - LOL. Definitely have to go back

In addition to like-2travel's recommendations, I will put in mine for the Giant Forest and Crystal Caves.

Giant Forest has a good concentration of large trees, our favorite hike there was Crescent Meadow, which is about a mile and a half long, very flat and easy, but really beautiful. There is also a nice visitors' center at Giant Forest as well.

Crystal Caves was really really neat. Even the drive there was fun - several miles off the highway through really pretty forest. From the parking lot, you walk about a half mile or so to the entrance to the caves, a bit of a steep hike, but not too bad, and then the tour is about a mile long inside the caves. Really fun.

Definitely bring your own food to cook out - there is a pretty decent store at Lodgepole and another at Grant Grove if you need to stock up. So if you forget something or run out, not to worry. There just aren't a lot of options for prepared food.
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 05:29 PM

Kings Canyon/Sequoia has everything that Yosemite has EXCEPT crowds