Sequoia/Kings Canyon/Yosemite

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2005, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning a two week vacation to California in August and visited Yosemite the last time we were in California three years ago. Really loved the park!! This time we were considering visiting all three parks and wondered if there are differences between them or is the scenery pretty much the same at each? We're not really hikers and wondered how many days/nights we need to really see Sequoia National Park and Kings Canyon. Any suggestions on where we should stay near Sequoia/Kings? Thanks for any help you can give me.
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 02:35 PM

First of all, you may want to consider purchasing a National Park pass, it used to go for $25 and would let you inot all of the National Parks in the country.

We used to have a home outside of the Sequoia/Kings Canyon Parks and loved the area. Very different from Yosemite, a little less populated and gorgeous scenery. We like the Montecito-Sequoia Resort. www.montecitosequoia.com We would go here for the day and hang out with the kids for a small day use fee.

There is a small lake there for sailing, boating, etc., a pool, jacuzzi, tennis courts and you receive three buffet meals/day with your stay and a 24 hr. hospitality bar. Have fun! ***kim***
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 07:37 PM

Sequoia is sufficiently different from Yosemite that I can recommend making the trip to it as a contrast to Yosemite. The giant sequoias in the former are larger and MUCH more accessible than those in Yosemite, and thus more impressive. Even if you've seen the coastal redwoods elsewhere in California, the giants are a different breed and worth a trip.

Kings Canyon is an impressive sight, but not as impressive as Yosemite Valley. However, KC is far less crowded; and thus give an opportunity for relaxing isolation not easy to find at Yosemite.

If you are not major hikers, two days would be a maximum for these parks; one day for each. There's just not a lot of roads in these parks, so you have to be a hiker to get their full effect.
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 09:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Kim and Paul for the info. Sounds like it'll be a great vacation. Will definitely plan on "seeing it all".

Diane
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 03:49 AM

fyi park passes are up to 50/yr. so do the math on enterance fees, but i figure the park service needs the help so i get the pass anyway, it's convenient, you don't have to worry about losing your receipt going in and out of parks, and it may be usuable where you live and you didn't realize it! yosemite now has valley transportation, not everyone can drive in anymore, i loved hiking the top rather than the valley. the big trees at sequoia are spectacular. kc what a road in! have fun it's all beautiful
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 11:00 AM

Yes the National Park Pass is now $50. Entrance to Yosemite is $20 and the entrance to Sequoia & Kings Canyon is $10. So that's $30 total BUT the National Park Pass is good for one full year from the month you purchase it...so if you plan on any other trips in the next 12 months to National Parks, Monuments, Historical sites, etc....it will pay for itself.

Utahtea
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for taking the time to answer my post, I really appreciate it.

Diane
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 05:47 PM

Sequoia is much more about the forest than about the rocks, at least if you're not hiking. But there is one big rock to see there, Moro Rock.

It's on a side road that also goes back to Crescent Meadow, a large open meadow ringed by giant sequoias. There's nothing like this at Yosemite.