Search

Sequoia NP in April-weather help

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2024, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sequoia NP in April-weather help

Hello everyone

I am planning a three week trip across the Western USA in April. I am confident about most of my itinerary, but I do have some doubt and questions that will be really glad if someone could help me with.
Most or should I say all the doubts I have are weather/road conditions related.
Our current plan is to go to Sequoia from Death Valley via Bakersfield. I have read that some roads/paths in Sequoia will be closed for sure (Moro Rock, Crescent Meadow) and I already adapted the itinerary to that. I am wondering if there is a realistic chance that the Generals Highway will be closed around April 15th, which would mean that we won't be able to enter Sequoia NP.

I am also wondering about your experiences with the weather in places like: Bryce Canyon NP, South Rim of GC, Yosemite, Sequoia,... I have read a lot of different posts, but some say this is the best time to visit the Western USA and some say it is the worst.

Thank you in advance
Old Feb 12th, 2024, 07:27 AM
J62

If this is all mid to late april, that's better than early to mid as early April is very different from late especially for anywhere above 5000 feet elevation which is most, but not all of your destinations.

Yosemite - April is a great time. Yosemite valley is well below 5000' elevation and will be green and vibrant, and waterfalls plentiful with runoff. THe river can also be flooede if there has been a thaw at higher elevation. Snowpack this year isn't super deep so far, so spring flooding should not be a big problem even if there is a thaw. Trails that rise above the valley floor - Mist trail, 4 mile trail, Yosemite Falls trail, - some of those may still be snow/ice covered as you get higher up.

Sequoia - (and yosemite Mariposa grove) - others need to weigh in.

GC South rim. Mid april is also a very good time to visit, but it's higher elevation. The Bright Angel trail may have icy patches just below the rim, but S. Kaibab trail should be clear of any ice and snow. Unless there has been an april freeze/snow storm...

Bryce - even higher elevation - 8000'. I've been there different years in April. be prepared for cold and snow - even early May. But with the sun higher in the sky, trails among the hoodoos should be clear. The highest parts of Bryce may still be closed - that's the end of the road along the canyon rim - i forget the name of the place - where the bristlecone pines are. Daytime high temps can be quite enjoyable, but it'll dip below freezing right after sunset.

Net: If you are prepared for cold, including good walking shoes and maybe even snow spikes then you can have a great time. If you go with only shorts, sandals,and light layers you're likely to get chased inside by cold.
Old Feb 12th, 2024, 07:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The reason you're seeing conflicting posts is that weather at that time of year is so changeable/unpredictable, esp. in mountain areas. Visitors who don't keep that in mind can be really disappointed when their carefully laid plans don't work out. Is it realistic to think General's Hwy. will be open by April 15th? Probably, but no promises.

This link gives some general info about when particular roads in Sequoia are plowed, open, etc., but weather conditions dictate everything. You can probably find similar road info for Bryce and Yosemite if you search the two parks' websites.

https://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvis...nformation.htm

And here's a link to a report about a trip to Sequoia in April 2021.

https://ustravelwithus.com/tag/april...national-park/
Old Feb 12th, 2024, 07:56 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
If there is a rapid warm up in the middle of April, you can expect flooding which will close a lot of roads and some of the trails may become rivers. This applies to both Sequoia and Yosemite. Massive amounts of snow have fallen in the Sierras in the past month.
If you are driving from the east, do you have any plan to be in Texas in the path of the eclipse on April 8?
Old Feb 12th, 2024, 08:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If your trip is in 2024, do you have lodging reservations in Yosemite N.P.?

Starting April 13th, you'll need reservations to drive into Yosemite N.P. on weekends between 5:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.

I would inquire about trail conditions before taking any hikes.
Old Feb 12th, 2024, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

I was looknig at some websites that said this years's snowfall is currently below average, but I might just be looking at the wrong stats. No, Texas is not in our plans for this trip, maybe one day
Old Feb 12th, 2024, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, I am not worried about weather because of being cold or things like that, more because of potential road closures.
Old Feb 12th, 2024, 08:51 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by andrazvogrinc4291
I was looknig at some websites that said this years's snowfall is currently below average, but I might just be looking at the wrong stats. No, Texas is not in our plans for this trip, maybe one day
Current conditions really have nothing to do with what things will be like in April. Snow on the ground now is over and done with road conditions-wise. Roads are usually cleared quickly - but every new storm brings in new road closures/etc.

I never pre-plan mountain trips between November and April (I live in northern California so can travel at the last minute when the weather looks good). The only exception is when I want to spend Christmas in Yosemite and hope things are OK.

For Yosemite - I would definitely take hwy 140 in from the Merced end. The other two routes (120 from the NW and 41 from the south) are much higher elevation, are closed more often and for longer, and more difficult drives. 140 follows the Merced river at a much lower elevation.

Since you must pre-plan this -- I'd go ahead but have a plan B in case there are April storms. if you can't get accommodations at Yosemite Lodge at the Falls in the Valley, I'd ONLY look at Yosemite View Lodge in El Portal. From Yosemite View you can drive into the Valley or take the YART bus which stops right there. It is right on hwy 140 just before the west entrance and only about 15 minutes from the Valley floor. . Other accommodations that say "Inside the park" or "right outside the park" will be 60-90+ minutes from Yosemite Valley (the park is HUGE)
Old Feb 12th, 2024, 09:49 AM

It should be around 61 F and sunny on the South Rim. The main roads in Yosemite will be open and the waterfalls should be running. The main roads in Sequoia should also be open. The Sequoia trees are amazing and awe-inspiring.
Old Feb 12th, 2024, 10:29 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by PrairieHikerI
It should be around 61 F and sunny on the South Rim. The main roads in Yosemite will be open and the waterfalls should be running. The main roads in Sequoia should also be open. The Sequoia trees are amazing and awe-inspiring.
No one knows right now if the roads (especially into Sequoia and hwy 41 into Yosemite) will be open -- they certainly might be but a storm like we had last week and all bets are off (then most roads that were closed it was for downed trees, not heavy snow.
Old Feb 12th, 2024, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by janisj
No one knows right now if the roads (especially into Sequoia and hwy 41 into Yosemite) will be open -- they certainly might be but a storm like we had last week and all bets are off (then most roads that were closed it was for downed trees, not heavy snow.
Okay, I stand corrected. The roads may or may not be open. If Sequoia isn't open, Calaveras Big Trees State Park is an alternative since it has giant Sequoia trees as well. https://www.gocalaveras.com/business...es-state-park/

Last edited by PrairieHikerI; Feb 12th, 2024 at 01:12 PM.
Old Feb 12th, 2024, 02:05 PM

The park roads may be open when you visit but some restrictions may be in place. See the park information links regarding regulations.
This one is for Yosemite—
https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tirechains.htm

If you plan to rent a car, be certain to review the contract regarding driving on unpaved roads and using chains on tires.
Old Feb 12th, 2024, 03:08 PM

With the recent rains in California, there may be some spectacular blooms in the coming months.

in Death Valley—
https://www.nps.gov/deva/learn/natur...20brittlebrush.