September trip to DC

Jul 11th, 2003, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

September trip to DC

We are planning a trip to Washington DC in Sept. My husband and I plan on spending five days. I just read someone's travel itinerary and was wondering how important it is to arrange tours ahead of time. If so, what is a good website to check out setting up tours? So far, our interests are leaning toward an evening tour of the memorials, a day to Alexandria and Mt. Vernon, visit to the Smithsonian...
Jul 11th, 2003, 02:15 PM

Hi,

This website has lots of info about tourism in DC: http://www.dcregistry.com/sights.html

I would say that September won't be as busy as the summer, tourists tend to clear out as school starts, so it may not be as imperative, but for things that need a Congressman to set up, you'd definitely have to do that ahead of time.

Welcome to Washington!
Karen
Jul 16th, 2003, 06:25 AM

An interesting tour might be taking a boat from DC to Mount Vernon. see www.spiritcruises.com I live here, but have not done that yet. I agree with your choice of seeing the monuments at night, they are beautiful then, less crowded, and weather is cooler.
Jul 17th, 2003, 04:29 PM

Go the the monuments at night, and during the week! Best inside tourist tip: Library of Congress. What a cool, beautiful building, with fascinating stuff inside. If you're into nature and need to get a break from the city, next best thing that most tourists miss: Theodore Roosevelt Monument. Did you even know he had one? Theodore Roosevelt Island, in the middle of the Potomac. Accessed on the Virginia side, off the GW Parkway. It's a beautiful, serene place, short hikes, wildflowers galore, and Teddy's in the middle of it, the best monument a man could want - and he deserved it. Check it out!
Jul 19th, 2003, 07:13 PM
Intrepid

I would also consider visiting the FRANKLIN Roosevelt Memorial as well.

Jul 20th, 2003, 01:46 PM

It is best to plan ahead, I spent months making plans (but not everyone is OCD like me). Contact your congressman now for tour of the Capitol, VIP tix for Bureau of Printing and Engraving, VIP tour of National Archives, they will reopen on 9/17/03. We also got our tix online for the Washington Monument, we paid a few dollars but worth not waiting in line. (see National Park Service website). You can also purchase your metro rail pass (short week pass best value) online. Look up Washington Metro online, they also have great info about each neighborhood with pictures of the metro stop. This website is good for tips as well as the Frommers Washington DC guide.