Tweeter Center in Chicago

Jul 16th, 2002, 09:40 AM
Sandi

Tweeter Center in Chicago

Hello all... I'm looking at going to a concert in Chicago over Labor Day Weekend at a place called the Tweeter Center. Can anyone tell me how far away this place is from downtown Chicago? Is there any way to use public transportation to get there? I would welcome any advice about it. Thank you!

Sandi

Jul 16th, 2002, 10:06 AM
Just Me

Sandi: The Tweeter Center is in Tinley Park - a southern suburb. The exact address is 19100 S. Ridgeland. Now, Chicago is on a grid system, and the "0" address is in the Loop - so, just doing the math, you will be going 191 blocks to the south of the loop, and a few miles to the west. It is quite the distance - forget a cab. This location is probably do-able only by car. There IS a commuter train that runs to Tinley, however, I do not know how far the train station is from Tweeter.

Jul 16th, 2002, 10:44 AM
a

Worst concert venue ever. If you can see the show ANYWHERE else, do so.

Jul 16th, 2002, 01:09 PM
Sandi

Thanks for the responses. What is so bad about this concert venue? Any comments are welcome. Thanks!

Sandi

Jul 16th, 2002, 01:15 PM
Tweeter

It's outdoor, covered seating and then up a hill behind covered is "lawn seating". It's in a town with zero else to offer (sorry, Tinley Park) and nothing to see on the way.

Try Ravinia in Highland Park. Lots of 'easy listening', symphony, dance, (Tony Bennett loves it there). Beautiful park like setting.

Jul 16th, 2002, 01:27 PM
Suzy

The Tweeter Center is about 35 miles from Chicago. It is not easy to get to by public transportation. There is a train that actually has two stops in Tinley but it is still a good 5 miles from the train and cabs are not readily available. I guess "Tweeter" above doesn't understand that Ravinia and the Tweeter Center are two very different venues. It is like comparing apples to oranges. I assume you are planning to see someone that I am sure will not be at Ravinia.

Jul 16th, 2002, 01:32 PM
a

First, the parking. It is in a huge unpaved lot without any markers to find your car. At the end of the show, everyone just drives everywhere trying to get out and it is always a massive mess. I have never been there when it took less than an hour to get out of the parking lot. The parking is free, however.

Second, the venue itself. I have been to several other similar outdoor ampitheaters such as the one in St. Louis and none seem to have the structural problems that Tweeter does. There are support columns everywhere blocking the view and the sound is bad. One time I was there, a girl stood on her chair during the whole concert blocking the view of everyone behind her and the ushers did not do anything about it (conversely, I have been to Jones Beach where if you so much as took your foot off the ground, the ushers were right there telling you to get down).

Every time I go there, I say that it will be the last time. I was just there at Jimmy Buffett in June and that was definitely it for me. Others may differ in their opinion but I just cannot stand the place and I know that I am not alone. If there are no other venue options, just keep in mind that getting out of the parking lot will take a very long time and it will be frustrating. Also, you may not be able to see or hear the show.

Jul 17th, 2002, 06:13 AM
Sandi

Hello all... thanks for the helpful responses. I already have tickets to a concert here, so it's a done deal (Aerosmith). Okay, so I'm not familiar with driving around Chicago, have always taken Amtrak and public transport to get around in the past. This time will have a car. Anyone have plain and simple driving directions to get to the Tweeter Center from the Best Western Inn of Chicago in downtown on Ohio Street?

By the way, one poster mentioned going to a venue similar to this in St. Louis.... Riverport by chance? I have been there lots of times. I am accustomed to the parking lot nightmare after the show, believe me.

Thanks again for the help.

Sandi

Jul 17th, 2002, 06:29 AM
Ang

To get to Tweeter Center by car, travel west on Ohio street until you get to the Ohio Street feeder ramp for I90/94. Get on the interstate go south, it will say toward Indiana. This is also called the Dan Ryan Expressway by locals. Both 90 and 94 run together for a while then I-90 will branch off and say to Chicago Skyway and Indiana Tollroad, do NOT get on the Skyway, stay on 94.. Continue going south, and it will be a long trip south. Finally there will be a branch off to I-57, saying to Memphis, this is throute you want to take. Once on 57, continue south/southwest until you see an desit that specifically says, Tinley Park and Tweeter Center. Traveling from downtown Chicago on a concert night leave yourself at the very least an hour to get there.

I also agree that Tweeter Center is horrible. I have been to other outdoor music theaters including Alpine Valley in Milwaukee, Deercreek in Indianapolis, Starwood in NAshville, and Riverbend in Cicinnati, all are better! The acoustics at Tweeter Center are not very good, many blocked views and just not organizeed well in general. An hour to get out of the parking lot would be a blessing, it usually takes longer!

Jul 17th, 2002, 07:13 AM
a

Yes, Riverport - is it still called that? They keep changing the names on everything (e.g. Tweeter used to be called the World I believe). Tweeter makes Riverport look well-organized and easy to navigate. The views at Riverport are much better. I went to an Aerosmith show at Tweeter I believe two or three summers ago. We had pavilion seating but the views were blocked. Really seedy looking crowd. The band was fantastic though. I guess the long and short of it is that now you know what to expect and can just enjoy the band and have a great time. Some people leave early or just wait at their cars afterwards to avoid the traffic nightmare.

Jul 17th, 2002, 07:51 AM
Suzy

I think Ang meant to tell you to go west on Ontario. Ohio is one way going East.

Jul 18th, 2002, 07:58 AM
Sandi

Thanks, everyone, for your help. I have another question.... since this place is 30 miles from downtown Chicago we might as well spend the night in Tinley Park. (Heading home to Missouri the next day anyway.) Do any of the hotels in Tinley Park offer shuttle service to the concert? I know at Riverport there are a couple that do this and it is a great service. So if anyone knows a certain hotel in Tinley Park that offers a shuttle service to and from concerts at the Tweeter Center, please post the info here. Many thanks!

Sandi

Jul 18th, 2002, 08:58 AM
Suzy

Check here for a listing of hotels http://www.tinleypark.org/hotels.htm. I am not sure if any of them have shuttles but I was think a few would. I would start with the Holiday Inn Select. It is part of the new convention center so they may offer a shuttle for people that are staying for various conventions. Hope you have fun.

Jul 18th, 2002, 09:01 AM
Suzy

The Holiday Inn does offer a shuttle within a 5 mile radius.

Jul 18th, 2002, 09:10 AM
Sandi

Hi guys, I just called the Holiday Inn Select and they do have a shuttle to other places but NOT to and from the Tweeter Center. I can't believe they are so close, have a shuttle, but do not provide it for guests going to the concert.

I will call the others from that website but if anyone else knows more please tell me. Thanks!

Sandi

Jul 18th, 2002, 10:30 AM
Bill I

When the Poplar Creek music theatre was alive & kicking in the Northwest suburbs of Chicago, I knew that there were area restaurants &/or clubs that would include dinner & trip to & from the concert. Don't know if they have that near the Tweeter. By the way, Poplar Creek was a much better outdoor concert venue than Tweeter, but the same people who owned Poplar Creek also built the World (later to be named the Tweeter. That was at the time that Sears moved from downtown Chicago & bought all this land adjacent to Poplar Creek so the owners tore down a good, easily accesible venue, so that they could sell the land to Sears, build a cheaper venue down south & cut off people from the northwest from having a good outdoor venus.

Jul 18th, 2002, 10:31 AM
Bill I

Venue not venus, where was my mind at?

Jul 19th, 2002, 12:20 PM
Mol

There is also a Best Western about 1 mile from the Tweeter Center in neighboring Mokena on 191st right off of I-80. I'm not quiet sure if there is a shuttle but if you don't mind a walk its do-able (I've done it). It is not a far walk from Holiday Inn Select though either, actually less than a mile I believe. You can see Tweeter Center from the parking lot of the hotel. If you can stay there I would do that.

Jul 20th, 2003, 09:23 AM

I'm in the same situation as Sandy - have tickets and no way to get there. Has anyone actually done the train then found a way to Tweeter - are there cabs at the train station? I've got 2 teens (older teens 18 & 19) making the trip and I'd like to be sure 1. they make it to the concert and 2. they make it back to the hotel in chicago again.
Jul 20th, 2003, 01:45 PM

Just went to a concert last weekend at Tweeter Center and stayed downtown as well. I looked into the whole cab/train thing ahead of time and it just seemed completely undoable. The train would come approx 5 miles from Tweeter but the area then has not much cab service. We ended up driving from downtown. It took us about an hour and half to get there. We were in rush hour traffic though and then hit concert traffic of course. It is something like 36 miles from downtown to Tweeter. The trip back after the concert was a little over an hour, after you get out of concert traffic. So, don't expect a quick drive and be patient is my best advice. We stayed downtown though so we would have something to do before and after concert as we made a weekend of it. Not much to do out by Tweeter Center in Tinley Park.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO