Senior discounts on airlines?

Nov 27th, 2001, 01:07 PM
Tony

Senior discounts on airlines?

Does anyone know which airlines offer senior discounts? Do they apply to just the senior, or also for their travel companion?Are there restrictions to the use or are you better just shopping for the best airfare? Thanks.

Nov 27th, 2001, 03:00 PM
dont understand

Never understood why people get 10% off just because they're old.

Nov 27th, 2001, 03:07 PM
Sarah

I would start by going to AARP website see if you can find any clues there also ask at each airline. On most European carriers you hit the jackpot with cheaper tickets and as many changes as you want without added penalties. If a younger person is traveling with you they enjoy the same benefits. I would call cheap tickets and ask an agent how it would impact destinations perhaps they can give you the overall picture of what carriers offer.

Don't understand: the discount is offered for putting up with the likes of you now go play in heavy traffic, blind folded.

Nov 27th, 2001, 03:58 PM
Silver Fox

10% for those who are 10% off, themselves (like me!).

Actually -- it's a way to fill seats, or was anyway, in the off-peak, non-business hours with people willing to book ahead of time and who are usually going to show up. For most US carriers, it's not really a discount, it's a pre-purchase coupon plan, where you join some "silver citizen" "club" or some such and get "discounts" when you get yourself ticketed early. My experience is that the discounts rarely equaled the air-fare cuts but sometimes they did.

And for the pup, "don't understand," perhaps you will once you have put in 40 or so years in the workforce, contributing to the economy, FICA, etc., and now you have about 5 yrs. before your feet, hips, knees, back, heart, liver, kidneys, etc. give out and you will never travel again.

If you think it's a piece of cake to be "just old," I'd like to be around when you get there. It ain't for the faint of heart, sweetpea -- so why begrudge them/us something that is a lot less costly to you than freq.flyer award programs and upgrade-for-privilege arrangements?

Nov 27th, 2001, 04:17 PM
nmm

Virgin Atlantic gives a discount of 25% off tickets for AARP members. Used them last year for my inlaws going to Europe and saved $400.00 on their tix.

Nov 27th, 2001, 05:30 PM
ldsant

You can also purchase tickets from UAL, AA, and USAir - 4 coupons per book I believe. These give you a substantial savings - you use one coupon one way. And yes, every airline has a seniors fare and it is good for their travelling companion as well (if they're not a senior). So, two seniors could travel with their grandchildren and get 10% off that fare as well.

Nov 27th, 2001, 06:19 PM
xxx

You might want to just try online prices v. calling airline directly. My folks were quoted a senior discount price over the phone that turned out to be $40 HIGHER per person than the same ticket booked online at ATA.

Nov 27th, 2001, 08:13 PM
Flyboy

Continental has senior rates, not sure how they are working it these days (discount vs. purchases vouchers) but we had good luck with them in the past, and the service was great.

Nov 28th, 2001, 05:38 AM
Laura

For any airline that gives senior fare and senior discounts, a 14 day advance purchase is required. A senior fare is a special fare that can be sold for seniors. A senior discount is a regular adult excursion in which a 10-20% discount applies. Senior fares and senior discounts are subject to availability and most of the time the senior can take one other person with them at the same price at the time of booking. If you decide to purchase a senior coupon book, the same 14 day advance reservation applies.

Nov 28th, 2001, 07:48 AM
Leone

Looking well ahead, one of these days when I get to be 62 and some yahoo characterizes me as "old" I shall joyfully kick him in the balls. That might not improve "Dont Understand"'s thinking ... I'd be working fairly close to his cognitive center. Ciao

Nov 28th, 2001, 07:57 AM
xxx

Ah L, don't kick when you can thwack him squarely with your cane!

Nov 28th, 2001, 08:34 AM
silver fox

Don't fit the American sense of entitlement, Don't Understand. Everybody has got their hand out these days!