Self-planned Chicago food tour questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a lot of suggestions awhile ago about this food tour I'm trying to plan. We do it next week and I haven't been able to work on this much til now..and I'm kind of panicking.
Some questions..Hot Doug's. Is it close to Wrigleyville or Andersonville?
Trying to find this out but maybe you can help me faster.
I've got more, but I'll wait on this answer.
Old Jul 28th, 2008, 11:59 AM

Laurelee:

My strongest recommendation is to post this to the chicago foodie site lthforum.com. They will hook you up.

Hot Doug's is relatively near Wrigleyville--but about 2 miles west of the ballpark. Not really a nice walk or anything like that.
Old Jul 28th, 2008, 12:07 PM

Hot Doug's is closer to Wrigleyville than it is to Andersonville, but it's not super close.

When in W'ville, take the Addison bus west to California Avenue. Then walk a bit south down California.

If you go to Hot Doug's, I strongly suggest going either early (opens at 10.30am) or late (closes at 4pm). If you go at noon, you'll encounter a monstrous line. If you go on a Saturday, you're waiting in line no matter what. It's closed on Sundays. Also check the website to make sure Doug isn't on vacation.

Also, the Hot Doug's area is mostly residential and some commercial -- far away from where tourists tend to be.
Old Jul 28th, 2008, 12:12 PM

I hope he still has the rattlesnake sausage when you go! I may have to make a trip for this...

The Game of the Week
Smoked Rattlesnake Sausage with Blueberry Crème Sauce and Smoked Gouda Cheese
$8.00

I had his alligator sausage a couple of weeks ago...delicious.
Old Jul 30th, 2008, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

I'm thinking of making Hot Dougs our first stop on the food tour---but it's a long ways from the Whitehall and we will be going to a Cubs game the next day. Is it worth it...and if not there..someone tell me TRULY where is the best place within walking distance(1-3 miles of our hotel). I get so many opinions! I am procrastinating on the trip -I have so much info. and can't make a decision!
Old Jul 30th, 2008, 07:39 AM

Which day of the week are you going to the Cubs game? If Friday, go to Hot Doug's then.

Close to your hotel: Fox & Obel at North Pier (near Navy Pier) or the Loop location of Pastoral. Intelligentsia (coffee) at either the Randolph Street location or the Monadnock Building location (on Jackson).

But if you wanted some places closer together, look back on my post about the Lakeview neighborhood, especially N. Broadway from Diversey north to Addison. When you get to Broadway/Addison, you are only 3 blocks east from Wrigley Field, in case you wanted to make it that day.
Old Aug 9th, 2008, 03:08 AM

Laurelee, you may be interested to know that none other than Anthony Bourdain was at Hot Doug's yesterday.

http://gapersblock.com/drivethru/200...film/index.php