Search

Seeking Portsmouth N.H. Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2007, 04:04 PM
jtp
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seeking Portsmouth N.H. Hotel

I am looking for a hotel in Portsmouth, NH. I know there was one that received great raves on this board -- it was just about 2-3 years old when the post appeared about 2-3 years ago! I was pretty sure it was the Sheraton Harborside Hotel -- however after reading trip advisor I realise that particular hotel would be too old -- Does anyone know of the hotel I am searching...
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 04:22 PM

Is it Marriott's Wentworth by the Sea?? I haven't stayed there yet, but want to at some point. The pictures look great!
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 04:25 PM

Wentworth by the Sea has been there a long time but was recently completely renovated. It is a fabulous place and I highly recommend it!
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 04:29 PM

It might be the Wentworth by the Sea. Great hotel, it's in New Castle though.

There's a brand new Hilton Garden Inn that just opened last summer in downtown Portsmouth.
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 04:32 PM

Yes, that's right, wyatt. That Hilton Garden was under construction when we were there last winter (but probably not the place). A mystery!
Old Jan 6th, 2007, 12:12 PM
jtp
Original Poster

Thanks for the help! I suspect it was the Hilton Garden Inn - how would you compare it to Wentworth by the Sea?
Old Jan 6th, 2007, 04:56 PM

Well they really don't compare. The Wentworth is a beautiful, historic hotel on the water in New Castle (5 min from downtown Portsmouth). The Hilton is right in downtown Portsmouth in a newly built brick hotel/condo building.

It depends on whether you want to be in downtown Portsmouth or not. I suspect the Wentworth is quite a bit pricier as well.
Old Jan 6th, 2007, 05:09 PM
jtp
Original Poster

Thanks again -- they both look great and both are in the price range I was considering. I am tagging along for a weekend where my husband will be attending a workshop (he will need the car)Portsmouth would keep me busy enough during the day ... although so would that Wentworth Spa...
Old Jan 6th, 2007, 06:34 PM

jtp: My husband and I rececntly did an overnight getaway to the Wentworth by the Sea. We are Marriott members and needed 1 more stay before the end of the year to maintain our silver status.I got a great rate off season (unlike peak season in the summer) and had an unbelievably wonderful stay. I would go back in a minute.

The hotel is in fabulous condition, the staff are all friendly and warm, the room was clean and beautiful. The bathrooms are marble with heated floors. They have a full service spa and a great indoor pool and jacuzzi in a very sunny, glass enclosed area. After shopping around the town I came back and read and relaxed around the pool. The highlight for me is the outdoor hot tub, open all year and located outside through a door in the pool area. A lot of people I don't think even know it is out there - there are no signs. There is also a sauna in the locker rooms.

The food is very good although we just had the breakfast buffet. There are absolutely fabulous restaurants in Portsmouth and some great shopping. I would highly recommend the Stockpot Restaurant for lunch. It's got a great atmosphere, wonderful food. It's quite informal and very reasonably priced.
I would also recommend the Blue Mermaid for dinner. I had an incredible fish meal - plantain encrusted grouper. They have Carribean flavored food with everything tasting full of flavor. By the way, Rachel Ray from Food Network did a show on the restaurant and " it doesn't get much better than that."

If you just want to be in town and not feeling so much like relaxing then maybe don't stay at the Wentworth, particularly if you won't have a car to drive the very short drive into Portsmouth. Otherwise, I am sure you would have a very relaxing and wonderful stay at Wentworth by the Sea.