seeking national park residents

Old Feb 9th, 2005, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

seeking national park residents

have you or do you know anyone who has lived or lives in a national park or monument as an employee or family member of an employee.
sincerely
road agent
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 07:20 PM

And if I say, "Yes"?
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 08:02 PM
Original Poster

the parks and monuments (mostly western) we're the virtual back yard of my youth and i am interested in swapping memories and maybe talking tourism history. in a contrasted retrospect (i now live in Detroit) growing up in the parks we're really quite an experience that i otherwise took for granted. in fact i've developed a preoccupation with the history of american tourism, the automobile and... Detroit... the dissonance between the american frontier adventure and the urban reality and the suburbanite anxiously pacing the exurban boundary in a shiney SUV dreaming of a final escape.
anyways i would like to develop a thread along these lines and i'd love to hear from other park service brats.
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 08:43 PM

What a neat childhood you must have had. I on the other hand, didn't see my first national park until I was married. My parents traveled from Texas to Los Angeles and back every single summer for 10 years and my brother and I couldn't talk our parents into stopping at the Grand Canyon....not ONCE in those 10 years!

I'd be interested in hearing what parks were your backyard and how long ago was it? I have been visiting national parks since 1973, so I have some "history" to talk about...LOL!

Utahtea
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 08:50 PM

My grandfather used to go into the big cavern outside Carlsbad in a bucket that currently sits in the lobby of the entry room. They'd all drink whiskey and when they'd be lowered into the cave it was pitch dark and the bucket would be spinning and they'd be spinning from the whiskey. They'd have to put their foot out in the darkness to touch the ledge and get out of the bucket.

That's what he told us, anyway. But it could have been the whiskey talking.
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 12:40 PM

Road agent: There is an association of retired NPS employees-maybe they have a message board or other venue that might be a good place to make some contacts?

I'm a historian for the NPS and am also very interested in the history of tourism in the West. You may be familiar with the literature on the subject, but if not, historians have written quite a bit about the topic. One of my favorites is an edited volume called "Seeing and Being Seen" (David Wrobel, ed). A number of authors contribute essays to this volume so you can pursue their other works as well. "See America First: Tourism and National Identity, 1880-1940" (Marguerite Shaffer) is a terrific read. "Devil's Bargins" (Hal Rothman) is another good one. There are a number of books and articles that deal specifically with auto tourism as well, such as Paul Sutter's "Driven Wild," and at least two essays in that volume mentioned above. Have fun!
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 08:15 PM
Original Poster

we moved to Glacier NP in 1972, my first friends there we're three young blackfoot indian boys. we moved there from White Sands NM where we played hide and seek in the dune fields and played with airforce wreckage. I also lived briefly at Badlands, Devils Tower, Grand Canyon and Yosemite. Now in mid-life, memories of the west pass like a mirage in the lens of Detroits post-industrial decline. I'm compelled to express the duality oscillating between euphoria and desperation to escape this nasty sprawl. Montana is my last best place, and i by no means "ayint no cowboy". though i've considered becoming a desperado. I married my wife in Ann Arbor Mi,and we honeymooned crossing the rockies in a blizzard on our way to Montana to settle my mom's estate, three years...bore two young'ns, paid our last respects to ma and headed back to michigan, my wife's home state. On our way out a final visit to my mom's grave was like closing a chapter in my life. My mother's the only family "resident" of Montana now. Our lone "ranger" quit the park service rode off into the sunset... leaving me and mom in big sky country.
A little deep i know, just setting up stage for the point of my thread...
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 08:25 AM

I see we started our National Park adventures at about the same time...I being older. Since I've been to all the parks you lived at, we could have even crossed paths at one time.

Looking forward to another addition to your thread.

Utahtea

Old Feb 17th, 2005, 12:29 PM
GoTravel

My cousin is a retired ranger with either the National Park system or the Pennsylvania State Parks.

Growing up (he is 30 years older than I am), we would visit him and his family and stay at their home in whatever park he was head ranger for.

I can remember how cool one was because after the swimming lake at the park had closed, my family had it all to ourselves. There was a slide in the middle of the lake and I remember thinking how cool it was that I didn't have to wait in line.

Old Feb 20th, 2005, 07:17 PM
Original Poster

the parks and monuments we're playgrounds of america's early elite traveling west by rail to escape the cities. promoted as icons of the american freedom dream they captured the yearning of the working man and detroit production line delivered his getaway vehicle. Ironically detroit built one of the nations grandest train stations but soon paved the way for it's demise. it now sits as forlorn hulking testament to the passing of an age of communal travel and transit. Mobility is that greatest symbol of individualist status; combined with the desire to escape the urban crunch it has been this countries greatest ecomonic impetus. The distant horizons beckon to our hearts of adventure and home on the range, and while the city gives us the devices and incomes to achieve freedom it also keeps us on a short leash. we strain to move beyond and are led back day in, day out. between the bleak realities of the inner city, pleasantville suburbia and some amiguous ideal of good living is the tension that drives us to fill our disscontent with all the "makings" of the good life, hence retail suburbia.