Seeking Boredom-Dauphine Island

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 05:19 AM
Joan

Seeking Boredom-Dauphine Island

Can anyone tell me the name of a good condo with at least 2 bedrooms/2 baths. We are a family looking to get away from the world and back to nature in October! Thx!

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 02:36 PM
kc

Do you mean Dauphin Island Alabama?

If so, I have rented houses there several times, but no condos. You might try Boardwalk Realty or Dauphin Real Estate. I think they have condos as well as houses. I think they both have web sites, but I don't have addresses.

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 08:23 PM
kc

Thanks so much! We booked a house today through Boardwalk Realty. You were right I had put an unnecessary "e" on Dauphin Island, Alabama. Any other tips for around Labor Day. Do you recall if you can you buy fresh fish on the Island?

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 08:25 PM
Joan

Oops! I am not familiar with this site. Should have put in my address rather than kc. Sorry.

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 08:05 PM
kc

I have only been there in June and July. You could buy fresh fish/shrimp there then. There is alsa a small store on the island where you can buy just about anything, but if you plan on buying much, you might want to shop elsewhere - it is kind of expensive on the island. There is a Wal-Mart Supercenter about 20 miles north in Tillman's Corner, where we usually stock up on groceries.

There is a fairly nice estuariam/aquariam that my kids enjoy and Fort Gaines is interesting too. Mostly we go as you do seeking boredom.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 08:19 PM
Joan

Thanks again KC. I have read so much about the island and can hardly wait to get there to do nothing! But one more question to ask you (or any one reading this) please. We want to deep sea fish. I have found all the available "captains" on the island from the internet. I have sent e-mail messages for rates, but I am looking for a personal reference. Did you discover one boat that is better than another?

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 06:47 AM
kc

Sorry, I haven't been deep sea fishing. My brother-in-law always fishes from the shore or the pier - he usually has good luck with that.

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 07:33 AM
MobileNative

For Dauphin Islandfishing boats, ask the realtor/rental agent to recommend a good captain/clean boat.

We don't go to DI much. It's great, but we prefer the eastern shore of Mobile Bay...Point Clear. If you have a chance, drive over and check it out for a future trip. (start around Barnwell and go north on Scenic 98 toward Pt. Clear/Fairhope). This is different from what you envision when you think of going to the beach. Less sand, more trees, sun if you want it.

Most "bay houses" have a long private wharf extending 150' feet out over the water with a pavilion at the end for fishing, crabbbing, swimming, napping. In summer, the wharf will have the gulf breeze even if the house doesn't. Very nice at night with the gulf breeze and shrimp boats rocking on the bay. Oaks and pines grow right down to the water's edge. If you have a boat, skiing is great and that's how the kids all get around in the summer. We catch crabs the whole time, freeze them, and then make a huge pot of gumbo. And if you're really, really lucky, you'll have a jubilee. That's where all the fish and crabs come out of the water (no one knows why) and climb up on the beach....flounder for the taking! Ship bells ringing at 2AM means JUBILEE!

The closer you get to the Grand Hotel, the more exclusive real estate you'll find. But one must have dinner at the hotel and then stroll along the boardwalk and see the grand old houses lining that stretch of beach....awesome!

Most rentals are south of the hotel...rents run around $1000 to $1500/wk high season for 3 BR, 2BA. (Mike Ford Realty...Baldwin County, Alabama --handles many rentals).

Sorry to intrude on your DI thread, but it always amazes me that no one has "discovered" this treasure of Mobile Bay. Take a look...you'll be glad you did.

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 11:27 AM
jeanne

Joan: I sent you an email with charter boat references:

Captain Mike (Thierry)
CAPTAIN MIKE'S DEAP SEA FISHING
Dauphin Island, Alabama
(251) 861-5302

(air conditioned boats!)

Old Mar 13th, 2003, 02:44 PM
LCR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Joan, How was your trip to Dauphin Island. Can you recommend a place to stay. Our trip is in June 2003. Did you do the Deep Sea Fishing?