Seeing the "real" smoky mtns

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 05:33 AM
Bill

Seeing the "real" smoky mtns

I would like to take a drive through the smokies. I am looking for a remote drive where I can truly see how people in the smokies live. I am not looking for Gatlinburg here, but I want the authentic thing.

The only attraction I want to see is Cumberland Gap, for it's historical signficance. Otherwise, I'd go anywhere were I can see the real "hills and hollers".

Any suggestions on routes?

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 06:59 AM
Big Red

First of all, the Cumberland Gap is not part of the "Smokies". It is on the KY-VA border. It's a National Historic Park...they recently tore up a road that covered the original route and have restored it to it's native state. While in that area, I would suggest also making a stop to Cumberland Falls State Park in KY. Beautiful.

When you say you want to take a drive through the Smokies and include the Cumberland Gap, you may be thinking of going through the Appalacian Mountains. The Blue Ridge Parkway is the way to go.

If you actually mean the Smokies, that area is only around the Great Smoky Mountains National Park....whick unfortunately is down near Gatlinburg. If you wish to get away from G-town, try Townsend....they call it the "quiet side of the Smokies"

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 07:48 AM
bill

Thanks for the distinction. Yes, I guess I am looking more for Appalachia than for the actual smokies.

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 12:01 PM
danna

Asheville N.C. is nestled in the Blue Ridge Mountains, you can definately enjoy mountain views. The Smokies are to the west and north of Asheville. I believe you can pick up I-40 near the Cumberland Gap and head down to Asheville from there.

Suggest you look up Asheville posts.

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 12:21 PM
tt

top it

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 01:18 PM
MT

If it's hills and hollers you are seeking perhaps you may want to venture into wild and beautiful west virginia. It's all the real thing and you can find lots of great river rafting and such in the yonder there! Winding just outside of Gatlinburg en route to the NC stretch of the mountains you will meander through beautiful winding roads as well. I suggest you might check out some of Charles Kuralt's writings from being 'on the road' ~ you'll come across some ideas there as well! Happy driving!

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 01:14 PM
West Virginia

That message brought to you by the West Virgina Dept of Tourism who remind you of the WV state motto:

"3 million people - 4 last names"

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 02:38 PM
MT

Well glad you liked that West Virginia! Cheers, MT post script: Ouch!