Search

seeing boston sites

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5th, 2010, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
seeing boston sites

My son upon graduation from college gets to pick what city he would like to explore. He picked Boston and he and my husband will be visiting in May. They will be flying in and not planning on renting a car. Where would be a great place to stay that is convenient to take a bar tour, go to a baseball game and any other sites that they shouldn't miss. Any suggestions would be helpful. Would 4 days and 3 nights be enough time? Thanks.
Old Nov 5th, 2010, 09:45 AM

For the Red Sox, make sure to get tickets early as they tend to "sell out" - alternate sources buy many of the tickets and raise the prices. This year it was better than others so it may not be the case but make sure to check www.redsox.com and look for the 2011 schedule. I would also recommend the Stadium tour.

There are a lot of great bars around Fenway Park. Cask n Flagon, Boston Beer Works, Bleacher Bar and Game on to name a few. I usually try to hit a few before and after games. Lines can be long and they are not cheap. Not sure if you are looking for an organized bar tour or just a list.

definitely look at the Freedom Trail and pick out the sites or walk the entire trail.

I would also look for a cruise that goes out on the Boston Harbor and maybe do a duck tour to see some sites in Boston.

I can't comment on hotels as I just do it as day trips from CT.
Old Nov 5th, 2010, 12:36 PM

Well, the best location for a hotel would probably be one of the Copley Square/Back Bay hotels. The Park Plaza is probably best avoided among the hotels in this area. A shame, because of the location, but the hotel desperately needs an update.

There are other areas that would work okay too. Boston isn't that big, so any of the downtown or theater district hotels would work, as would any of the Beacon Hill hotels. For the ballgame (and nightlife), the Hotel Commonwealth would be great, or even the HoJo. The Seaport is a lesser location, but would work if you got a really good deal, but it isn't the best served by the T (though it is served). Steer clear of the Gateway Center area - too far from anything and a questionable neighborhood. Ditto for the Dorchester hotels.

Into Cambridge, something in Kendall or Harvard Square would be fine, as they are well-connected by public transit. There are a few hotels near Lechmere (the Sonesta, for example) that would work, but they would definitely be a noticeable step down in convenience.

Avoid the Doubletree and the Courtyard Boston/Cambridge. I am sure they are nice hotels, but they are not very accessible, particularly the Doubletree. If they will be taking cabs, this is less of an issue, but still...

I would avoid any hotels not in Boston or Cambridge, as these cater to the business parks in their vicinity and would not be good choices for this trip. If you had to save money and use one of these hotels, then try one of the Quincy hotels. Avoid Waltham.

As for time, 4 days/3 nights should be enough. They could check out the Freedom Trail, catch a game, and hit the bars pretty hard.
Old Nov 5th, 2010, 02:47 PM

A Historic Boston Pub Crawl would take you to the following establishments:

A little history and a lot of fun.

Bell in Hand.
Green Dragon Tavern
Old Nov 5th, 2010, 02:53 PM

Avoid the Doubletree and the Courtyard Boston/Cambridge. I am sure they are nice hotels, but they are not very accessible, particularly the Doubletree. If they will be taking cabs, this is less of an issue, but still...

We stayed at the Courtyard, and it is definitely NOT in a very convenient location (great for daytime walking, but not for access from the T)
Old Nov 5th, 2010, 02:55 PM

Oops, hit the submit key before completing the information (very embarrassed):

There are three taverns that are considered historical in Boston:

Bell in Hand
Green Dragon Tavern
Warren Tavern (Charlestown)

You can visit these taverns on your own or as part of a tour.

Each of these taverns has a place in colonial history.

There are "pub crawls" that feature contemporary bars and follow a sports theme or concentrate on a particular neighborhood, but the historic taverns are one of a kind.

Please excuse my earlier post and for more information simply google boston taverns or boston bar crawls.
Old Nov 5th, 2010, 03:33 PM

We enjoy staying at the Residence Inn in Charlestown. It is right next to the Naval yards and the USS Constitution. There is a walkway across the locks (or walk across the bridge) right into the North End (bars and restaurants galore).

If the baseball game is sold out, try aceticket.com, a Boston-based ticket reseller. Stubhub also has tickets sometimes.
Old Nov 5th, 2010, 03:52 PM

There are three taverns that are considered historical in Boston:

Bell in Hand
Green Dragon Tavern
Warren Tavern (Charlestown)

I wouldn't say these are that historical. They are nice enough, but the historical aspect is limited to being told that they are old. I wouldn't make a special trip to any of them. In particular, the Warren Tavern is off the beaten path and not really worthwhile, except in conjunction with the Constitution. They do have a decent burger, though.

If you were looking for a bar tour, then you can certainly do the Bell in Hand and the Green Dragon as part of the Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market circuit. There are tons of bars in the area, so this would be a pretty good choice.
Old Nov 5th, 2010, 04:12 PM

Hmm, we'll have to disagree travelgourmet:

I've always understood the Warren Tavern to be the oldest in Massachusetts AND it's said that George Washington and Paul Revere were patrons.

The Bell and Dragon was, again according to local lore, a meeting place for revolutionary patriots.

And, the Bell and Hand dating back to 1795 had famous local patrons as well.

I don't know how much of this is folklore and how much is fact, but visitors to Boston seem to enjoy these bars and the historic bar tours that showcase them.
Old Nov 5th, 2010, 04:23 PM

I've always understood the Warren Tavern to be the oldest in Massachusetts AND it's said that George Washington and Paul Revere were patrons.

All true. But when you walk inside, you don't exactly feel as if you are drinking with Paul Revere. Frankly, it feels like any other Boston bar. If you are in the habit of collecting "George Washington ate/slept/drank here" sites, then go. Like I said, it has a good burger and it is a nice enough place. Just don't count on any sort of special vibe and recognize that Charlestown is hardly a nightlife spot conducive to a pub crawl.

And, the Bell and Hand dating back to 1795 had famous local patrons as well.

Again, today it is indistinguishable from the other bars in the area. It has been renovated and upgraded so many times that it is hardly the same as it was in 1795.

Trust me, I have gotten exceedingly drunk at all of these bars on multiple occasions. They are nice. You can have a good time in them. But the only historical ambience you are going to get is what you imagine in your head.
Old Nov 5th, 2010, 04:25 PM

Well I've enjoyed them with my guests. Perhaps we're not as discriminating as others.
Old Nov 5th, 2010, 07:02 PM
SEW

Boston will be a great post college trip. I spent 4 days last April, and got a great hotel (Kimpton Nine Zero) on Priceline. What I will say is even if I went back to Boston, I would pay for the location at this hotel, even without PL. It was a great central location for all things Boston. The Freedom trail ran right outside, and it was 1 1/2 blocks to the Subway station and Boston Commons.

I spent 2 days in the outer areas of Boston with a car, but once back in the city, ditched the car at the airport and took the subway (MTA) to the hotel and used it extensively while there. I recommend the 7 day pass ($15). It is cheap option and if they are going to the game, they will use it at least twice, plus the trip to and from the airport.

If they like Baseball - make sure they plan the trip during a Red Sox home stand because that was a wonderful experience to be in Fenway. I went in at the end of April and got my tickets for a Saturday night the week before, however if you know your dates, get your tickets. I didn't pub crawl, so can't answer any of those questions.

I took one of the bus tours too. I thought it would be dorky, but got to see a lot of the city from a great perspective. Plus they offered a second day for free and I used it as a slow taxi the second day. They also offered a harbor cruise, which was great, because the city has a beautiful skyline. The tour I took also took me over to Cambridge so I was able to see Harvard and MIT too. Just great history in this city.

I hope they have a good time. It is a great city.
Old Nov 6th, 2010, 03:14 AM

Red Sox tickets. Go to Red Sox website and register. They will then send you an email when tickets go on sale online. Tickets for April and some May games go on sale before Christmas every year, with the rest of the season going on sale in late winter. Tickets sell out every year and some game sell out right after going on sale.

On the exact date and time tickets go on sale, log on and click on dates you want. You will end up in some torturous place called the "Virtual Waiting Room". Keep the computer up and running and after 1-20 hours you will be given the opportunity to buy tickets.

Most seats are good, even bleachers. Avoid Grandstand R field sections 2,3,4 however. These seats require you to twist you body in a bizarre way to face homeplate. They are replacing these seats this year, but they will still not face in the normal direction. Even bleachers are OK.

If you are unable to buy tickets this way, try closer to date - seats can open up. Or buy from a ticket broker, which for a mid-week game at that time of year should not be that much over face value. (We use Ace Tickets). Avoid buying on the street, or EBay - recent report of bogus tickets to NE Patriots game and I sense that sort of activity is increasing - although many have bought tickets in this way for years with no problem.
Old Nov 6th, 2010, 03:18 AM

I recommend StubHub for ticket purchases. We've been pleased with the seats we've purchased for a variety of events. Good service. Good for last minute purchases.

http://www.stubhub.com/
Old Nov 18th, 2010, 06:16 PM

It's not just Rex Sox tickets that sell out in May. Around here, that's graduation season and hotels are booked a year in advance. I you can wait until after Memorial Day, the town will have settled down considerably and the weather might be nicer, too.
Old Nov 19th, 2010, 09:32 AM
yk

Ditto what Anonymous said - May is one of the craziest months in Boston's hotel calendar, with dozens of college graduations which translates to tens of THOUSANDS of people traveling here. If you MUST come in May, pick carefully which week/weekend you want to come. Check in advance the commencement dates for MIT, BU, Harvard, Northeastern, Boston College etc, and avoid those dates, otherwise, you'll be looking at >$300 for a MOTEL room.

You may be better off coming at the very end of May; beginning of June is even better.