Sedona restaurants

Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Sedona restaurants

Looking for recommendations for nice meals in Sedona area. Also any feeback on the train from Williams to the Grand Canyon? Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 02:02 PM

GC train is usually considered one of the two biggest tourist traps in Arizona, for three reasons.

1) Expensive, I think the cheapest seats for a family of 4 would be $240 while a typical rental vehicle would cost about $25 for gas, so almost 10x more expensive, plus with a car you are able to drive out to the east rim. The more comfortable train cars cost even more.

2) On the day trips you are at the canyon for about 3 hours, from roughly noon to 3 PM. The best time to view the canyon is around either sunrise or sunset; the worst time is mid-day. So you are there during the wrong time of day.

3) The tracks are old and not maintained well so it takes a lot longer to rumble up there than to drive. A friend from work took the train once and said "I thought the ride up was the most boring thing I ever did, then the ride back seemed even worse."
Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 02:06 PM

My favorite Sedona restaurants:

Dahl & DiLuca -- wonderful Italian
Cowboy Club -- Silver Saddle Room for adults -- great southwestern. If you have children, the Cowboy Club main dining room

Shugrue's Hillside -- very good all around. Great views for sunset if you get patio seating.

If you want a train ride, take the Verde Canyon Railroad for great views. The GC Rairoad is a very slow way to get to the GC, and there are no views other than high plains and som forest. No views of the GC, even when you get there.
Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 06:40 PM

I also love sitting out on the terrace restaurant, Tii Gavo Grille, at the Enchantment Resort, surrounded by Boynton Canyon
Old Apr 24th, 2012, 08:26 AM

I was in Sedona last month and perhaps it was the spring break crowd, but I hate to say that there weren't that many good experiences. I really looked forward to it, but I think most places were just too busy.

Except for one little place down in Village of Oak Creek called Maria's Cantina. It's small, with good service, excellent carnitas and good margaritas.

6446 Hwy 179,
Castle Rock Plaza
Old Apr 24th, 2012, 08:40 AM

We took the train several years ago and if it is still the same, that train ride can be worth it for a family with young kids... with an Old West flavor and a "Holdup" by robbers on horseback along the way, my kids loved it...
Old Apr 24th, 2012, 09:29 AM

Dittos to LindainOhio for the Enchantment Resort. When I went, I was told to make an advanced reservation so that the security would have my name at the gate, which was necessary at the time. The food and service were good. The setting was great.