Search

Sedona Lodging

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2004, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sedona Lodging

Planning a family trip to Sedona -- staying 3 nights at Enchantment (a splurge but weekday great rate - $195) and then 3 nights at the Hilton Resort and Spa. I have not heard anything from this group about that hotel -- it was recommended by a friend. Should we stay elsewhere? I know Sky Lodge is a favorite. Any word on the Hilton?

Thanks for the advice!
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 04:30 PM

I love Enchantment and recommend it highly, but with one disclaimer. The resort's calling card is its location. It's unparalleled for uniqueness and natural beauty.But the standard rooms there are not "splurge" rooms, so go there knowing this. It's worth it at the price you secured. But the only rooms there that are 'luxury' category are the casita suites, which are quite pricey.
I hope you have a great time. Sedona is a memorable place.
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 04:58 PM
emd

I know Sedona well, have stayed at Enchantment (you got a great rate) and other places but never at Hilton. The tripadvisor reviews are very mixed, for both the hotel and spa. There are some hints on there re what rooms to ask for for best views, etc.
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 05:33 AM

I have walked thru the Hilton and grounds but have not stayed there. I read a trip report of a mother/daughter trip to Sedona and they stayed there and really enjoyed it. Breakfasts were pricey but good. You are about 7 miles from downtown Sedona however - hotel is in village of Oak Creek. I would certainly consider staying there for a more laid back experience. I was at Sky Ranch in Feb and enjoyed it alot - but I think the Hilton is 'glossy' as opposed to Sky Ranch which is just kind of simple and rustic.
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 05:35 AM

Mom and I stayed at Enchantment in Feb 2002. It was a standard room, I guess with 2 double beds but did have a fireplace and terrace. We really loved it though; there was a serenity there I cannot descibe and they gave us flashlights to walk from the room to the main building at night (It was so dark there you couldn't see in front of you!) WE paid the $195 less an AAA discount -- if you belong to AAA ask for it - I think we got it for $179
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help. So nice to hear from others who have been there. I really appreciate the advice!
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 09:55 AM

I can recommend the Hilton. Yes, it is a bit out of Sedona proper, but so is Enchantment, and you'll probably have a car anyway. The Hilton is mostly suites (I think there are a few single rooms, so you might want to check). They have a good sized living area with gas fireplace, and a kitchen set up on one whole wall, and a dining table. TVs in both living area and separate bedroom. We really liked it, but I don't know that I would call it a "resort." I've only seen the outside and lobby of Sky Lodge, but my understanding is that it is a more basic set up. I'd rank the Hilton between the Sky Lodge & Enchantment. Enjoy.
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 03:19 PM

We stayed in the Hilton Sedona in April with our 16 year old. We LOVED it! I really obsessed about where to stay... the Enchantment would have been $400 per night for a basic room... I was a bit leary of the Sky Lodge Ranch... had red quite a few negative reviews about it being run down. The Hilton was perfect! Fantastic view (we got a guaranteed Red Rock View... Bell rock was RIGHT THERE!!!!) lovely suite with fireplace... fantastic fitness room, great food and wonderful service!!

The best thing was the location... I think it had better views than the Sky Lodge area... we had gone there for views at sundown and I really liked our area better!

By the way, this hotel is only about 5-6 years old and the grounds are beautifully maintained!!!
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 05:22 PM

We loved the Sky Ranch Lodge, mainly because it is the anti-Hilton. It is not upscale and luxurious. It is simple lodgings in a beautiful location. If I want an upscale experience, I'd go to Scottsdale.
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 05:39 PM

We stayed at the Sky Ranch Lodge and loved it. It is rustic and charming, with fantastic views. We particularly liked the fact that there is a resident cat who is very friendly. My husband even brought back some fish for it from our dinner at the airport restaurant (a unique dining experience and a short walk from the lodge). It brought a touch of home to our trip as I was missing our little one. I haven't stayed at the Hilton but it sounds fine from the descriptions here; it just depends what you're looking for.
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 09:40 PM

Perhaps, check out small, family-run Quail Ridge Resort. IMHO a great choice for families. Pool, tennis courts, night time campfire. Four of us stayed in one of the chalets 5 years ago. It was much more reasonably priced than nearby Enchantment. Pix and description at www.quailridgeresort.com.
All rooms have views of the red rocks/mountains. But I would recommend a chalet under the trees rather than one of those out in the open.
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 02:41 AM

We stayed at the Hilton in April, and were very impressed, especially since the price we paid per night was so reasonable. (I was a little leery.) Our rooms were large and clean, and the pool, although small, was very pleasant.