Sedona in late March with two teenagers?

Old Nov 2nd, 2002, 04:43 PM
Diana

Sedona in late March with two teenagers?

We're considering going to Sedona for spring break the last week in March. Any recommendations on places to stay? What about going to the Grand Canyon - will the weather be ok that time of year? What about suggestions for things to do around Phoenix or Tucson? We'd like the scenery, but want to make sure our daughters don't get bored. Any help is appreciated.

Old Nov 2nd, 2002, 07:23 PM
bettyk

Diana, don't know about the weather in Sedona in March but I just returned from AZ yesterday. One place we really enjoyed (besides Sedona) is Tombstone which isn't too far from Tucson. We walked around Boot Hill and then toured the Birdcage Theater which is now a great little museum. So much history and lots of neat shops. I suggest you rent the movie right before you go (the one with Kurt Russell as Wyatt Earp). It's a great movie (but violent) and it will help you understand the history of the town better. They also have reenactments of the gunfight at OK Corral.

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 06:00 AM
Diana

Thanks Betty. Did you stay in Sedona? How far is it from Phoenix to Sedona, and from Sedona to the Grand Canyon?

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 08:10 AM
Judy

I'm not Betty, but Sedona is app. 2 hours from Phoenix/Scottsdale and the Grand Canyon is another 2 hours beyond Sedona. Weather in March should be very good. Around Sedona, there's the ruins at Montezuma Castle, and Jerome, which is a recovering ghost mining town that now has boutiques, etc. And of course, the ever popular Pink Jeep Tours.

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 03:51 PM
Sue

Stay at the DoubleTree in Oak Creek. Great food and pool. The Grand Canyon will be gorgeous, enter thru the East Side. You won't regret it. Make sure that you take a Pink Jeep tour. It was the best part of the trip.

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 03:56 PM
just

A week in Sedona might be too much for teenage girls. It won't really be warm enough for sunbathing by the pool. There's limited shopping. I can't imagine that they're going to be wowed by the scenery for that many days.

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 04:05 PM
bettyk

Diana, no, we did not stay in Sedona. We were visiting relatives in Phoenix so we just spent the day. We saw the Chapel in the Rocks, then had a wonderful lunch out on the terrace at L'Auberge de Sedona, a lovely Country French Inn, and visited Enchantment, a beautiful (but high priced) tennis resort. We then went to a shopping mall that I can't remember the name of (starts with Tq??) that had loads of wonderful shops in a very lovely setting. It was a very enjoyable day. I can't wait to go back and stay longer!

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 04:22 PM
katie

Your daughters would enjoy the jeep tour--it was fun. I would say two days in Sedona is plenty. One to relax by the pool and shop in all the little galleries and places in that hard to spell shopping center, maybe sightsee-chapel in the rocks is nice and you can drive through the canyon to view the gorge nearby. Second day you can hike to some of the rock formations and take a jeep ride to see the sunset, or have a spa day--massage etc....

Grand Canyon has a train ride or you can plan ahead and try to get on a mule ride, but I think those book pretty far in advance.

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 07:05 PM
Sue

We were in Sedona one year in early April and it snowed the last day, so be prepared. It's so beautiful there though and we loved it. We stayed at The Southwest Inn, which was nice.

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 08:16 PM
Boots

We were in Sedeona in early April 2001 for the snow too Sue! They told us it was very rare to snow (a)more than a dusting in Sedona and (b)that late in the season. It was soooooo cold. Fortunately we brought layers and wore them all, but we couldn't find any gloves, so bring those just in case. We stayed with two adjoining rooms at the Best Western Inn of Sedona ($99 per room) and loved it - great free continental plus breakfast. Our 3 kids are youngish teens and they loved hiking around (in the snow)near Oak Creek Canyon and Red Rock Crossing. We visited the ruins at Walnut Canyon near Flagstaff- DON'T miss it. Also Sunset Crater National Monument (go there in late afternoon = wow) Also Meteor Canyon 40 miles east of Flagstaff (miss this if you like- we wish we had skipped it). We took a day trip to Grand Canyon where it snowed and was incredibly beautiful. Also spent a day in Jerome (go to the Jerome State Historic Park to see the museum and video on the mining history)

After 4 days in Sedona we headed down to Tucson and it was wonderful to change into tee-shirts and shorts. This was our favorite part of AZ. We stayed at a nice bed and breakfast (Car-Mar) on the Western outskirts. While in Tucson we spent the most time walking around in Saguaro National Monument West - a magical park. Arizon-Sonora Desert Museum is right down the street and worth a trip ($8 per person) Mission San Xavier del Bac is about 30 minutes south (free) and the most beautiful church I've ever seen. While here, stop at the Indian vendors' booths and the bazaar across the street. And last but never least is Sabino Canyon. We got there about 3 pm and took the tram up and then walked much of the way down. You won't believe the scenery. This was a huge favorite with the kids.

We skipped Phoenix as we like being out on the land, rather than in commercial areas. Thankfully, the kids agree with us. But there's a world-famous museum there and supposedly good shopping. Have fun!!

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 09:53 AM
aMom

The weather should be OK. We were there with our kids last spring break. There actually was a snow storm on the day we arrived at GC (from LV) which left about 3 inches of snow on the ground. By evening it cleared up. When we drove south to Sedona/Tucson/Phoenix, the weather was sunny, 70s-80s.

Good advice has already been given here, many great suggestions on things to do. Another activity which your teens may enjoy is seeing a spring training baseball game. There are many teams in that area. We saw a Giants game. The stadium is small and very intimate. My kids had a great time. They were able to go right behind the dugout. As far as accommodations, at this point in time, you may not have too many choices at the GC so if you are interested, call and see what's available. In Sedona, we liked the Sky Ranch Lodge. It's a very reasonable place, up on a hilltop with a great view and pleasant grounds. It's not fancy or ultra-deluxe, but very nice and comfortable for the price. We used priceline for tucson and scottsdale and got great deals and very nice resorts.

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 09:57 AM
World

The World Champion Angels also have their spring training camp in Arizona. Probably the only way you'll be able to get tickets this year is to see them in spring training.

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 10:47 AM
Go Yankees

Oh, puhhlleasse.
You'll always be able to get in to see the Angels in Anaheim.
You can walk up to the stadium and buy scalp tix at good prices almost any day of the season.

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 11:56 AM
Pete

Yankee's fan- what does your post have to do with Arizona? The previous poster pointed out that they'd be able to get spring training tickets for the Angels.

Sedona would probably wear thin on the girls' nerves for a week. A few days and then move on to a more populated, but still nice area like Scottsdale.

Old Nov 16th, 2002, 03:58 AM
Diana

Thanks for all of your wonderful advice! I've been away for a week, then had a family medical emergency (all is well) so wasn't able to read all of the excellent tips. I like the idea of spring training. We're leaning toward Best Western Inn or Sky Ranch Lodge in Sedona. In Tucson, I'll try Priceline for the resorts. I've never used Priceline, so wish me luck! I like the idea of visiting spring training. We're Cardinal fans, but it would be fun to see some other teams. Thanks all!

Old Nov 16th, 2002, 12:19 PM
xx

I have teenage daughters also who I just took to Sedona (they liked the Gap Outlet in Oak Creek better than the artsy shops in Sedona). I wouldn't spend longer than 2 days there, 1 at the Grand Canyon (El Tovar is fun to stay at, it's right on the Canyon rim), then go to Scottsdale. It will be a little cold up north but gorgeous in the Phx area in March. My daughters love the shopping in Scottsdale (Fashion Square is best for teens). Go to Rawhide for a western experience, there are places to horseback ride near there. Mesa has the Cubs spring training. The AZ Science Center is great, a planetarium and IMAX theater and the Heard Museum is uniquely Arizona-they are near each other and you could even do the Phx. Art Museum on the same day too. Have a great time!

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 07:17 AM
cathy

As a mother of two teenage girls, Sedona for two days enough. The hit Scottsdale/Phoenix area. Great shopping, resorts etc. Stuff teenagers love. Plus it will be much warmer south.

Old Mar 10th, 2011, 12:53 AM

If you're visiting Scottsdale/Phoenix and looking for fun things to do, you should stop by at AZ on the Rocks. They have summer camps for kids aged 4-15 from March 14 to March 18. Also, they have an ongoing even called Elevation Motivation in which both kids and adults can participate. Each month, the participant who climbs the most amount of feet will win $500 cash. At the end of six months, the participant who climbed the most amount of feet overall will win $1,000. Because this is an ongoing challenge, you can register at any time. To register contact Stephanie at (480) 502-9777 or [email protected]. For more details visit our site www.azontherocks.com
Old Mar 10th, 2011, 12:55 AM

Spring break camps*