Search

Sedona Arizona

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2002, 06:00 AM
Lucy

Sedona Arizona

I was planning a trip to Phoenix in April and wanted to also visit Sedona and the Grand Canyon. I have read several postings of people who visit Sedona as a daytrip from Phoenix. Is this really enough time? I want to take one of the jeep tours while I am there, but what else is there to do there? Would leaving Phoenix in the morning, making a stop in Jerome, then spending the rest of the day in Sedona before leaving the next morning for the Grand Canyon, give me enough time or should I figure on maybe spending another night? Also, which of the jeep tours would be the best choice?

Old Feb 18th, 2002, 06:11 AM
Jack

You can enjoy the highlights of Sedona in a day.
No, you won't have time to do much hiking or to sit around and drink in the atmosphere. So if that's important, you'll need more time.
But if you simply want to take in the scenery and such, a daytrip works.
There's not a whole lot to do in the way of shopping. The little Tlaquepaque shopping center can eat up a couple hours if you're a shopper. And there are many local art galleries which could consume some time if that's your thing.
Beyond that, Sedona's all about scenery and atmosphere.
Jerome, BTW, can be seen and sampled in a very short amount of time unless you're into trinket shops. The drive up there takes a little time, but it's moderately interesting to see.

Old Feb 18th, 2002, 07:06 AM
Paul

It takes about 2.5 hrs to drive from Phoenix to Sedona. That's a 5 hr round trip, a lot for a day trip.

Old Feb 18th, 2002, 07:21 AM
Jeanette

I can't imagine doing this as a daytrip, although I guess it is possible. On our first trip to this part of the country, I think we had the same idea you have, Lucy. It took us so long to get up to Jerome that we spent almost 1 whole day just doing that and another antiquity spot. It was Montezuma's Castle or Well- can't remember which. But unless you just want to look at things while you drive through- I would give Sedona more time.
I'm not a shopper- but just to visit a vortex or two, see the Church of Our Lady (overhangs- unbelievable view) and maybe do 1 short jeep trip would not fit into the day with the drive. I do disagree with some posters about Sedona
visits. Oak Creek Canyon Slide park only would take a day. Lots, lots there that would be a not-too-miss in my book.

Old Feb 18th, 2002, 08:30 AM
Judy

I have to agree with Jeannette. I'd really give Sedona more time. By the time you drive to Jerome, and look around, and get to Sedona, there's not much time left. Of course you can get get up real early, and manage to fit everything in, but I guess it depends on your philosphy of a vacation. I personally don't like to come back more exhausted than when I left. Montezuma's Castle is a nice stop along the way, and I second the suggestion to take a look at the Church of the Holy Cross designed by Frank Lloyd Write that's built into the red rocks. There are wonderful restaurants in town where you can have delicious meals while looking out onto the red rocks. In addition to Tlaquepaque, the Hillside is also a nice place with restaurants, art & gift shops. I highly recommend the Pink Jeep company's Broken Arrow tour. And one other thought: You might consider staying longer in Sedona and doing the Grand Canyon in one day.

Old Feb 18th, 2002, 11:34 AM
Lenore

We drove from Phoenix to Jerome, which is an odd town perched on top of a winding mountain road. An hour or two is all you'll need there. Then onto beautiful Sedona. Definitely do the Pink Jeep tour. It's expensive but worth every penny! The FLW Church is worthy of a visit and there's a nice state park on the outskirts that is a lot of fun. Can't remember the name though. Be sure to drive all through Oak Creek Canyon....total eye candy. There are lots of neat little shopping areas, especially if you like southwestern stuff and pottery. Our favorite store is Silver Sons West. Every time we've been to the Sedona/ Oak Creek Canyon area, we've found "treasures" there. Unless you plan to hike down into the canyon, I'd spend more time in Sedona and do a drive up to Grand Canyon from there. Enjoy your trip!

Old Feb 18th, 2002, 12:30 PM
asr

We did Sedona in a day. We left early in the morning and I felt we had plenty of time there. It is beautiful, but other than having a nice lunch and the Pink Jeep tour, there wasn't a whole lot left. It was too hot to hike the day that we were there. If you are planning to hike, we will need more time. I thought the downtown was really commercial...lots of crappy souvenir stores and sales people plugging timeshares. There is a nice outdoor mall just before you get to downtown.

Old Feb 18th, 2002, 12:39 PM
Jeanette

My spouse wouldn't leave Jerome because he got so interested in the old mine and hotel (engineering math person- go figure). I got sick to my stomach on the ride up and it felt like forever before we got to the top. I'm sure it wasn't that long, but it took us much, much longer than 2 hours. We were there at least 4 hours, not counting the time it took to go up and come back down.

Also there are about 10 different kinds of Pink Jeep tours now in Sedona, depending on your interests. We did two last time we returned there (last October) and some run as long as 3 hours, I believe.