Reload this Page >

SEDONA AND THE GRAND CANYON

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2002, 10:00 AM
Lucy

Would it seem like a bad idea to plan 2 days in Sedona around a day at the Grand Canyon. I can't seem to fit in two days before or after the night at the Grand Canyon but could do the single nights. Any suggestions?

Old Feb 18th, 2002, 11:23 AM
toldham

don't know where you are coming from--many people seem to find sedona magical. I think it's very pretty but am more attracted to places like monument valley and canyon de chaille, in northeastern arizona/southeastern utah

Old Feb 18th, 2002, 04:56 PM
Lucy

I will be flying in and out of Phoenix. Wouldd it be possible to maybe visit Canyon de Chelley befor going to the Grand Canyon and Sedona for a day after, or is that rushing it too much?

Old Feb 18th, 2002, 06:06 PM
CC

You don't really need two days in Sedona. We spent a whole day at the canyon and two days in Sedona but saw it all in one. The scenery is beautiful but the hotels are overpriced and unless you are going to do some climbing one day should be enough.

Old Feb 18th, 2002, 07:46 PM
BillJ

Couple of Thanksgivings ago, gathered up family at the Phoenix airport Wed afternoon, drove 2 plus hours to Sedona. Stayed at L'Auberge, were drawn to them by an article in Bon Appetite magazine. Thurs, TG day, drove back to an Indian ruins before TG dinner. Friday day trip to Grand Canyon (no crowds this time of year), exiting to the east, eating a late dinner in Flagstaff on our way back to Sedona. Saturday drove out to a mining town to the southwest (can't remember the name of the town) stopping en route at several well marked vistas and scenic loop tours. Sun drove back to Phoenix. Part of our crowd went on one of the dozens of hikes available through the red rock country. didn't have time for a jeep tour. A crowded, busy, long weekend. Incredible scenery, vivid memories. Glad we went, still talk about it.

Old Feb 18th, 2002, 11:27 PM
Karen

I've been to the Grand Canyon twice when under 25 years old. A few years ago we did a AZ trip and went to Grand Canyon for 2 days and Sedona for 5 days (as well as another 2 weeks in other AZ spots). We *loved* the Sedona area (not the town but the amazing rocks outside of town........wonderful hiking and photos...be sure to go to the church in the rocks). Grand Canyon was no great shakes to either of us. Tons of people and it was pretty but in our opinion Sedona area is a 10 and Grand Canyon is a 5 or 6.