COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Security checkpoints at Hartsfield airport

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 11:41 AM
chris

Security checkpoints at Hartsfield airport

How long is the typical wait to get into the concourses and how many checkpoints are in there...does it get really busy during the week before christmas???how long are the waits approximately???

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 01:15 PM
Cindy

Atlanta is tricky, you think you're done and BANG! there's the longest security lines in the free world ahead of you! They do go pretty quickly and the wait totally depends on what time of day, what day, etc. you're traveling. Sorry I can't be of more help, but the advice to be prepared for some time through security is all I can say. We'd rather be safe than sorry though, and I'll be in line right along with you! Happy holidays!

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 03:07 PM
Julie

Atlanta has a lot of security lines (probably 15 or so at the checkpoint that I went through), but its necessary since those lines must serve passengers going to all terminals. The wait will vary. I traveled on the Monday morning following Thanksgiving and waited about 10 minutes to get through the line. The lines do move pretty quickly. I doubt if lines the week before Christmas will be unusually long, since travel during the Christmas season is spread out over so many days. Probably time of day will matter the most.

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 03:07 PM
chris

well i fly sunday december 15 at around noon.

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 03:09 PM
chris

it sure would be nice to have somebody helpful next to me in line since most of the time i travel alone

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 11:29 AM
jill

Hartsfield is much easier than any other major airport. Even coming back internationally we only had 30 minutes to clear customs and immigration. It is Delta that sucks. Their checkin is horrible unless you are a medallion member. Heres a tip, use the MARTA check in. It never has more than 15 people waiting.

Old Feb 15th, 2003, 08:29 PM

Depends on the airline. Atlanta is the main hub city for Delta, so they have the most flights there. Obviously, this means the most passengers too. One suggestion: print oyur boarding card and home (use delta.com and your SkyMiles number) and then you sail through the checkpoint in minutes. Or use a kiosk and check yourself in. Much faster than waiting in a long line at the ticket counter. If you need any more tips, please feel free to ask!!!