Second Thoughts About the Four Seasons Maui

Sep 29th, 2003, 03:48 AM
Original Poster

Second Thoughts About the Four Seasons Maui

Right now our family is booked for 7 nights over the holidays at the 4S. I have been reassured that the kids will have fun at the resort with the kids' club and attention given to them. But I am starting to wonder if I will enjoy my stay there. I am sure that the staff will be very friendly and accomodating as I have read some very good reviews about the service. But I am wondering about the type of people that typically stay at the 4S. I have heard that many use their cell phone by the pool; can't say that I am pleased with that. I am also wondering if I will worry about what I look like, if my clothes are the latest style, is my hair styled just right. Am I being foolish??? On vacation I want a break from those kinds of worries! I worry about coming back dirty from hiking and jaws dropping as I enter the lobby! Can anyone reassure me or am I right on??? What is the typical age of the people who often stay at the 4S? I don't plan on going to their restaurants as I don't want to bring fancy clothes. Are they too snobby for me???
By the way, If I chose to NOT stay at the 4S, I would lose my two night deposit. HELP!!
Sep 29th, 2003, 04:32 AM

I wouldn't worry about what people you will never see again may think. I haven't been to 4S Maui, though have elsewhere (and I've been to Wailea). Service flawless. Middle age and more mature for the most part.
Cannot think of many very good restaurants where resort casual wouldn't work. You won't starve if you don't bring dressier wear. And, with young children, you may be better off avoiding really toney places. We took our children to a 5* restaurant at Sea Island over Labor Day (hope springs eternal). Still ordered the chicken strips, and, they found the service too slow. Wife and I dined at A Pacific Cafe on Kauai (Kapa'a) years ago. Hollywood types, many in shorts. We were overdressed.
Sep 29th, 2003, 05:17 AM

Hey Ashley,

I agree with hmmm whole-heartedly. My wife and stayed at the 4S this past February and had a terrific time. As you'd expect, the service was impeccably 4S and the hotel was beautiful.

As far as cellphones at the pool, we wouldn't be a very good judge of that as we were only at the pool for one afternoon. But keeping that very small sample size in mind, really don't remember any cellphones at all. And I think I would have remember if there were as I'm a stickler for cellphones in public places.

As far as dining at the hotel, my wife & I didn't eat at Spago so don't know the dress code there, but you can always eat at Ferraro's. Wonderful beachside dining....very casual.

As far as walking into the lobby dirty, do not worry. We came back from various days of snorkeling, the Road to Hana, and the like and never felt like we couldn't walk through the lobby or were being looking at funny.

And as hmmm mentioned, even if they did, these are people you'll never see again....who cares what they think anyway. You won't be treated any differently by the hotel staff and that's the only important thing.

Try to relax....you will have a wonderful time!
Sep 29th, 2003, 05:30 AM

I stayed at the 4S Maui, and in my experience, you'll be having such a great time that you won't even notice or care about the other guests. I wouldn't worry about your clothes or hair. I spent most of my time in $10 flip flops, t-shirts, and Old Navy drawstring pants. It seemed like everyone was similarly dressed casually... swimsuit, sarong, shorts, t-shirts, and flip flops. I was really dusty and my sneakers and clothes were covered in dirt when I got back from Haleakala and on another occasion was entirely covered in sand and mud after being buried in the beach... never felt out of place.

And by all means, eat at their restaurants. Their breakfast buffet is delicious and extremely casual. Even Spago, which I assume is their dressiest restuarant, was laid back. I wore linen pants for dinner at Spago's, but it wasn't necessary. There were some people dressed up but others were dining in shorts.
Sep 29th, 2003, 06:58 AM

Ashley, the whole point of FS service and attitude is to make guests feel comfortable, regardless of how those guests define comfortable.
This is YOUR trip. YOU are the guest. THEY are there to make you happy.
It's as simple as that.

The people who whine about the FS and attitide and such, in my opinion, are typically people who have either never actually stayed there, or else they walk in the door with a chip on their shoulder because they somehow feel like they don't belong. And the latter attitude is such a misconception. Everyone's money is equally valuable and no one 'belongs' more than anyone else.

My advice? Go and treat the place like it's your rich aunt's estate. The staff are there to make you happy. Let them do their job and spend not one ounce of energy worrying about other people's attitudes.

(I would also add that there are indeed some FS hotels in which it's not as easy to feel comfortable. These are the nicer business FS hotels in NYC, SF, Chicago, etc. But the FS Maui is a big honeymoon and relaxation venue. Thus the attitude is much more casual).
Sep 29th, 2003, 07:09 AM

Have to agree with gplimpton. You are paying them to treat you well, regardless of how you look or what you wear. ALthough I can't speak for Maui, FS Nevis treated us wonderfully. I, too, walked around in flip flops and Old Navy t shirts
Sep 29th, 2003, 09:27 AM

I have to agree with the above comments. We stayed at the 4S Maui last year and had a great time. We are in our mid-20's and felt perfectly comfortable. There were families, honeymooners, groups, etc. I didn't notice any of the cell phone by the pool thing at all and wore casual clothing most of the time. It is a beach resort in Hawaii after all, so there are going to be plenty of people wandering around in flip flops and bathing suits. I think you will have a wonderful time...it is probably the best resort experience we have ever had! I can't wait to go back!
Sep 29th, 2003, 09:42 AM

Well I've actually stayed there too and found the cell phone usage to be unbearable. The staff & such are great but I could not stand linstening to other people doing business or yell about their personal lives into the phone all day. You could not get away from it. I was there during the week of the 4th of July last year. However, it is also a resort with lots of things for children to do. You may want to call ahead and voice your concerns about cell phone usage. I've stayed at just about every resort in Hawaii and was most disappointed in 4S, however, I think your kids will love it. Have fun.
Sep 29th, 2003, 11:02 AM

learn to make a decision and relax!

ya got over 45+ questions/threads just for a single trip to hawaii. that's got to be a record on this board. no trip to hawaii should be this stressful!!!

for christmas sake and your family's, don't worry about the details and just go with the flow in hawaii.
Sep 29th, 2003, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reassurance from everyone except for the last poster. I will try to relax but I didn't realize there was a limit to how much we can post. So sorry!
Sep 29th, 2003, 03:26 PM

Ashley, don't worry about your attire or your hair or anything else at the 4S. If you get odd looks from the other guests...that's THEIR problem. As far as the staff of the 4S goes...they WANT you there! They don't care how you look, what you got on or anything else. They just want to make sure you're happy and hopefully you'll come back. Have a great time.
Sep 29th, 2003, 03:29 PM

Just curious, travelinwifey. By calling the 4S ahead of time and voicing her concerns about cell phone use what do you think, what would you expect the managment of the resort to do? I mean they can't very well ban cell phone usage by guests.
Sep 29th, 2003, 04:47 PM

I know someone that sent a letter to 4S reagrding their disappointment with the cel phone use. 4S sent a letter back stating they know it may be disruptive to some and are considering how to resolve the issue. Kona Village resort on the BI has a no cell phone policy, hopefully 4S will adopt the same idea.
Sep 29th, 2003, 06:33 PM
hotandsweaty

to uh_no__ying! too funny . mean, but funny!

Sep 29th, 2003, 10:30 PM

There's no escaping the cell phone morons - that's what I call those who have no consideration for others. Just simply drive down the street any day and watch them, even backing down their driveways with a phone in their ear, but it's magnified if you actually have to listen to their drivel.
Best bet is kid inspired "accidents" dumping water on them or their instruments.
We had a Kauai trip spoiled by someone in an adjacent unit very loudly taking calls at 4 or 5am local.
Grrrrr !
Sep 30th, 2003, 11:22 AM

Ashley24, please, please, please do a trip report when you get back! I really want to know whether or not your worries can true or not! I am toying with a few nights at the 4S Maui next year(have already decided on the 4S BI for 10 days or so)but had the same sort of thoughts. Where the 4S BI seems a little more laid back, I am under the impression that the Maui hotel is a little more glam. I am not sure if I would actually like this kinda atmosphere. I am very curious as to what you will ahve to say-Let us know!
Sep 30th, 2003, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Alohamom,
I will definately do a very detailed trip report when I return. All the great people who have helped me with all my questions deserve to know how the vacation turned out! I am sooo excited! Only 80 days left!!!
Oct 3rd, 2003, 06:25 AM

Ashley24,

Who cares what other people think about you. I think people in gold lame look pretty silly themselves. We were at one resort on Maui and this lady with BIG hair was walking around the pool with stilletto heels, her nose in the air and a gold lame bikini. We thought that she looked pretty darn silly considering that everyone else was pretty casual. You will see everything from the gold lame to t-shirts and shorts so relax and don't worry. I have been to the islands more times than I can count. The 4 seasons is about service. All those people with cells phones glued to their ears are just saying look at me I'm at the 4 seasons and they must let everyone know this. They will also let people know what floor they are on and all the faults they can find with the hotel. Trust me, you will be in the norm of people over there. Once you get there and see this you will wonder why you worried so much.

Have a great trip!