Reload this Page >

Seattle/Victoria/train or fly/no car!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 1999, 11:17 AM
kam

We have 4-5 days in June to celebrate a 30+ anniversary. We know that we do not want to rent a car. I have taken the Coast Starlight Amtrak from LA to SF and loved it. We could take the Amtrak (from SF where we live) or we could save time and fly. Should we spend the whole time in Seattle or should we take a day to go to Victoria. I've read all the Seattle postings and am more confused than before although I do appreciate the hotel advice. I think we'll try to stay at the Inn at Pike St. Market. Also, the farthest north I've been is Mendocino, never to Oregon or Washington and know we will have to return as we don't have enough time. Please help us choose what to do this first visit. Thanks.

Old Sep 27th, 1999, 01:05 PM
Brian Kilgore

I believe you can take a ferry boat from Seattle to Victoria. You'd get to see some beautiful scenery, visit a foreign country, see the attractions of Victoria (make sure you see the provincial museum) and generally you'llhave a good time. Most of toruist-oriented Victoria is right near where the boat docks.
BAK

Old Sep 27th, 1999, 02:16 PM
Jan

Kam,
if your going to stay in Seattle and want to see some sites (and victoria) here is one suggestion you might want to consider. Rent a car in seattle and drive up to Anacortes (Fidalgo Island). From there you can walk on the ferry and ride over to Victoria and spend some time. Much better idea to walk on the ferry in the summer. So much to see in Anacortes also. (Deception Pass is gorgeous) Also, you could get off the ferry on your way over or back at one of the other islands along the way. If your not sure where to stay in seattle, another place to consider (since it's your first time up here) is Snoqualmie Falls lodge. It's not very far from seattle and the breakfast is superb. So is the view. Need anything else, let me know. Have a great trip and congrats on 30 years

Old Sep 27th, 1999, 07:52 PM
John

Hi, Kam,
If you're not counting the days on the train in the 4-5 total, by all means try it..a beautiful ride. Otherwise, fly, and use the time to visit Seattle (from which maybe you can try the train to Vancouver BC - also a lovely ride, but obviously shorter than the trip from Oakland.)
The Victoria Clipper, a high-speed passenger ferry, is a quick way to visit Victoria, available from the central Seattle waterfront, and it will introduce you to the Puget Sound region, so you can plan a longer visit next time.

Old Sep 27th, 1999, 08:49 PM
April

Kam is right in saying it's better to walk on the ferry in the summer. As the Princess Marguerite is now out of commission (although this can and probably will change) the only ferry out of the Seattle to Victoria is the Clipper. It's faster anyway.

Personally I much prefer Vancouver to Seattle. From there you can take a bus right across to downtown Victoria and it's a more scenic ferry trip.

Most attractions in Victoria, as Brian said, are by the Inner Harbour; the main exception being Butchart's Gardens. If you do want to go there, you don't need to take an expensive tour. You can simply hop the #75 city bus from downtown for $2.50 each (two zone, one way, Canadian $ - less for seniors). Ask any bus driver for a schedule for 25¢.

In June be prepared, at least, for rain.