Seattle/Victoria/Orcas Island

Old Mar 22nd, 1999, 09:49 AM
Diane

Seattle/Victoria/Orcas Island

My husband and I will be in Seattle area last week of July. Could someone tell me if timeframes look okay or will we run into problems? Also heard that Seafair might be going on while we are in Seattle (7/23&24). Anyone have info. about that?
Day 1-Seattle (Pacific Plaza Hotel)
Day 2-Seattle (Pacific Plaza Hotel)
Day 3-Seattle-> Whidbey Island-> Keystone-> Port Townsend (Holly Hill House)
Day 4-Port Townsend-> Port Angeles-> ferry
to Victoria (Holland House Inn)
Day 5-Victoria-> Sidney-> ferry Orcas Island (Cabins-on-the-Point?)
Day 6-Orcas Island
Day 7-Orcas Island-> Anacortes->Vancouver
(where to stay?)
Day 8-Vancouver
Day 9-Vancouver-> Seattle
COMMENTS AND SUGGESTIONS ON ANY OF THE ABOVE MU

Old Apr 9th, 1999, 10:00 PM
sheri

Try to reverse your itinerary if at all possible! You do not want to wait in line in Port Angeles for the ferry if you can avoid it (lineups of 2-6(or more!) hours in the summertime). Lineups can be just as long from Victoria, but at least you can explore Victoria while your car is in line.

Also, is there any reason you're going the indirect route from Seattle to Port Townsend? Much easier and faster to take the ferry directly from downtown to Bainbridge then drive from there.

Finally, the main events of Seafair are in early August.

Old Apr 10th, 1999, 09:58 PM
SJ person

What do you want to know about Orcas island? Let me know and I can probably tell you.

Old Apr 11th, 1999, 05:52 PM
April

I don't know what time you arrive in Victoria and when you depart, but I think I would have stayed two nights instead of one in order to have a full day's visit. At least the Holland House is close to the major sights.

Old Apr 16th, 1999, 11:28 AM
Diane

Thanks for the input! Actually, a similar route was suggested by John Doerper who hosted one of Fodor's forums last year. I just assumed the route to Port Townsend through Whidbey Island was more scenic--not so? We'll be taking the Port Angeles ferry on a Monday morning; would we still be looking at a 2-6 hour wait? Is there anything to do in Port Angeles while we wait?
We'd love to stay 2 nights in Victoria but instead opted for 2 nights on Orcas Island. Has anyone been to Butchart Gardens in the evening?
Any feedback appreciated--thanks! Diane