Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Seattle to Victoria Ferry – Do I have this straight?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2007, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are only (2) car ferries from Seattle to Victoria.

MV Coho Ferry departs Port Angeles to downtown Victoria. Seattle to Port Angeles is a 3 hr. drive. The ferry takes 90 mins. Does it make any sense to take a ferry from Seattle to Bainbridge Island to shorten the driving trip?

Washington State ferry departs Anacortes to Sidney (30 mins. from Victoria). Seattle to Anacortes is a 2-hr. drive. The ferry takes about 3 hrs.

Or I can drive to Vancouver (3-4 hrs) + border crossing and take the car BC Ferry from Tsawwassen to Swartz Bay. More options on ferry times.
Thanks!
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 01:43 PM

Actually there are NO car ferries directly from Seattle to Victoria. As you've summarized, the two that go between points in WA State leave from towns that are several hours outside of Seattle.

The estimated driving time of 3 hours that you've noted between Seattle and Port Angeles includes the 35 minute ferry ride from Seattle to Bainbridge. Depending on traffic, you could make it from Bainbridge to PA in 2 hours or even a little less.

And it's 2.5 hours from Seattle to Tsawwassen, not 3-4, assuming a "normal" border crossing time of about 20-30 minutes or less. Ferries run hourly in the summer months.

And without a car, you have the option of the Victoria Clipper directly from Seattle, or a floatplane.
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks-I was trying to glean the information from other posts. Thanks again.
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 03:22 PM

If you choose the MV Coho from Port Angeles, definitely take the Bainbridge ferry rather than driving around through Tacoma. The traffic can be horrendous between Seattle and Tacoma, and again crossing the Narrows bridge. Just don't count on catching the Bainbridge ferry during commuter hours without a wait. Mid-day is usually fine.
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 01:46 AM

mark