Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Seattle to Port Townsend - Can I get there from here?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30th, 2003, 05:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a ferry from Seattle to Port Townsend? If there is, would it be better to rent a car in Seattle, or take the ferry on foot and rent a car in Port Townsend for our time there? Suggestions? Thanks.
Old Sep 30th, 2003, 05:21 PM

Schnitzel:

There is no direct ferry from Seattle to Port Townsend. Two ways that include a ferry..

Seattle to Bainbridge Island then drive up for about an hour.

Mukilteo to Clinton which is on Whidbey Island (north of seattle about 45 minutes). Drive up Whidbey about 45 minutes and take the Keystone Ferry over to Port Townsend.

You could also drive south to Tacoma and take the Narrows Bridge then drive up.

My suggestion is Seattle to Bainbridge and drive up. Its the most direct. Try to avoid friday nights and sunday nights as crowds get heavier.
Old Sep 30th, 2003, 06:30 PM

Drive north in I-5 and take the Edmonds ferry over to Kingston, then drive up to Port Townsend. Depending on the day of the week and time, all the ferries get busy...usual rush hours, and then people trying to get away for the weekend, and then on Sundays when they are all coming back home.
Old Sep 30th, 2003, 11:24 PM

Come the winter months the ferry from Whidbey to Port Townsend can be iffy..I agree to stick with the Bainbridge route. Rent a car in Seattle..we got a great rate from Alamo..on their website.
We were in the Pacific NW for 11 days..the two week rate from Alamo at Sea-Tac was cheaper than 11 days with anyone else. We checked on the travel sites including United with whom we have miles..but the ALamo website gave us the best deal. I LOVE PORT TOWNSEND!
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 06:04 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
To reiterate, the Whidbey route mentioned involved 2 ferries and is therefore slower and more expensive than the Bainbridge or Edmonds ferry routes. If time is not a concern, go north via Mukilteo and Whidbey then return via Bainbridge. On the northbound route you'll pass the Boeing 747-777 plant, biggest building in the world, then you can stop on the island in Langley, a very cute village on the water. Coming back, the views of Seattle from the Bainbridge ferry are worth the price of the trip.

The Whidbey-Port Townsend ferry's schedule is upset several times a year at very low tides (the boats don't do well on mud) but seldom an issue for visitors.