Search

Between Port Townsend and Seattle?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Between Port Townsend and Seattle?

A tough scheduling issue I need help on:
I have an afternoon meeting in Port Townsend, WA, and then a morning meeting the next day in Seattle.

I would prefer not to have to get all the way back to Seattle the night of the meeting in Port Townsend, nor do I want to have to drive all the way from PT to Seattle in the early morning!

Is there a location conveneintly located between the two where I could lodge for the evening in between?

Having never taken one of the ferries, my preference is to travel "by land"; however, if the ferry saves me time and is considered not too hard, I'm willing to give it a try.

Thanks!
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 08:32 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Various motel and B&B options in Poulsbo and Bainbridge Island. The ferries from Bainbridge into downtown Seattle in the morning are huge commuter runs, so you can easily make your morning meeting. If it's a crack-of-dawn meeting you might want to reconsider, though, as the ferry takes 40 min, then you'll have to navigate (with car, I presume) downtown during rush hour. If the meeting is after 9 or 9:30, piece of cake.
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 08:43 AM

Agree (as usual) with Gardyloo - though have to add that "you don't even want to think about driving around the Sound if you are short on time - take the ferry".

Ken
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks much--the Bainbridge idea seems perfect--and I'm sure I could manage the ferry to Seattle for a 9:45 meeting).

On the way up to PT, from Sea-Tac, is the drive around the Sound ok, as I won't be too pressed for time?
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 09:23 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Boring. Trafficky.

Drive north from Sea-Tac through Seattle to Mukilteo, using SR526 from I-5 (past the biggest building in the world at the Boeing plant.) Then take the Whidbey Island ferry from Mukilteo (20 min.) and drive up Whidbey Island to Keystone, from which the Port Townsend ferry takes you right downtown.

There's nothing hard about taking the ferry. Driving through Sea-Tac, Federal Way, Tacoma, Bremerton and other traffic, now that's hard.

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/index.cfm for ferry info.
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 09:23 AM

The problem with driving around the Sound is not so much the distance (which is considerable) but rather the terrible traffic. To get from Sea-Tac to Port Townsend you must head south through Tacoma and across the Tacoma Narrows Bridge - both potential bottlenecks if you it them at the wrong time. If you leave Sea-Tac in the morning on your drive to Port Townsend you will however, be going against most of the the traffic, so as long as you leave lots of time you should be alright. I still think the ferry is a better option (plus you get terrific views from out on the Sound).

Ken