Seattle to Olympic Nat'l Park route

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2007, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be driving from Seattle to Olympic National Park on Labor Day. When I look up the route on Google Maps, it suggests taking the Edmonds-Kingston ferry, then onto the 104 and 101. Will the wait to get onto the ferry be long since it's Labor Day? Instead of that route, are we better off driving south toward Tacoma, then onto the 16 and 3, and then the 104?
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 08:54 AM

From the National Park Service:

I-5 S/SR 16 N/thru Gig Harbor to SR 3/over Hood Canal Bridge/SR 104/SR 101 into Port Angeles/at Jack in the Box make L on Race St to VC (Hurricane Ridge)
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 09:27 AM

To get to the Olympic Peninsula, we prefer to take the ferry from downtown Seattle to Bainbridge Island and drive up from there, over the Hood Canal Bridge. There are frequent ferries to Bainbridge Island, and lots of interesting shops near the ferry terminal if you do have to wait.

If you go to Edmonds, you may find yourself in some serious traffic on I-5. Check the DOT website for the construction schedule and also check the ferry schedule for frequency of runs.

Returning via Bainbridge Island, you may have to wait a bit. Bring a good book.

I would never drive south from Seattle for that trip unless all the ferries were out of service. I like the ferry and consider it relaxing and part of the vacation. I-5 south through Tacoma is definitely not relaxing.
Old Aug 15th, 2007, 01:17 PM

I agree with Orcas that the ferry to Bainbridge Island is a better choice than the one from Edmonds.

However, I don't find a ferry ride enjoyable unless it is a perfect day and I can be on the top deck taking in the views of the city and mountains or I am so pooped that I can't drive a few miles more.

We have friends who live on the Olympic Peninsula, and we usually prefer to drive than take our chances that we will have to wait around for a ferry.

The drive via Tacoma to Port Angeles takes about three hours.
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 06:12 PM

Are you north of Edmonds? That's a good ferry if you're early but it gets crowded in the afternoons (that's non-holiday). You might want to hit whichever ferry you take as early as possible coming and going.

I live on Bainbridge and it's an easy ferry ride and the drive from here to the ONP is great.

Enjoy!

Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 07:39 AM

The cost is minimal ($3), but you should be aware that if you return via SR-16 through Tacoma you will cross the new Narrows Bridge and pay a toll. It is only assessed eastbound.