Search

Seattle suggestions for a first-time visitor

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2003, 01:48 PM
E
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seattle suggestions for a first-time visitor

Have just begun planning a slightly spur-of-the-moment (by my standards, anyway!) trip to Seattle, for 3 1/2 days in July. My preference would be to spend at least one entire day outside the city, but I'm not sure what would be feasible in terms of distance; I'd love to take a ferry, and have always wanted to see BC or the San Juan Islands, but are these too far away for a day-trip? What would make a nice day-trip--Snoqualmie Falls, maybe? As you can see, I'm at sea here, and would really apprecaite some guidance.

Secondly, I'm always open to restaurant ideas, especially Asian, fusion and seafood, all of which should be great in Seattle.

Lastly, I'm looking at the Inn at the Market for lodging--have seen all the raves here, would love to hear about recent experiences there.

Thanks so much!
Old May 17th, 2003, 05:04 PM

Victoria BC is a long day trip via the Victoria Clipper but it gets you the day away and BC in the deal. Victoria is a great visit, like a side trip to Britain in a way. Clipper also has a run to Friday Harbor on San Juan. I love it there.

There are dozens of other potential day trips but I always tell everyone unless they are from Colorado, a visit to Sunrise on Mount Rainier is unforgettable.

Wild Ginger is the must recommend Asian place. I like Etta's for Seafood although you may get many recommendations. Ray's Boathouse (Shilshole Marina) is a local favorite, but somewhat difficult to reach for the visitor.
Old May 17th, 2003, 05:06 PM

Also, not knowing your taste in seafood, Shiro is my favorite sushi place.
Old May 17th, 2003, 05:44 PM

If you take the Washington State ferry to Sydney ( near Victoria) you will cruise through the beautiful San Juan Islanda and will stop at Friday Harbor. This is a memorable tripand quite worth the time even if you spend the night in Victoria. Live it up and stay at the Empress hotel and have afternoon tea.
Old May 17th, 2003, 05:59 PM
melfie1222

We took a day trip from Seattle to catch the ferry in Anacortes to Orcas Island in the San Juans. The ferry trip is beautiful and Orcas is small enough that you can see and do alot in one day... we drove up to Mt. Constitution, which has a fabulous view on a clear day, had lunch in a nice little Mexican restaurant and some shopping in Eastsound, and in the afternoon took a guided kayak trip out of Deer Harbor. Had a great day, saw a beautiful sunset on the ride back to Anacortes, and made it back to Seattle in time for a late dinner. This was on a weekday and everything fit perfectly in our schedule, but I don't think would work on a weekend day in July as the waiting line for the ferry can be awful on summer weekends.

If you take a day trip somewhere else, Mt. Rainer, etc, and still want a ferry ride, on one of your other days in Seattle you could take the short roundtrip ride from downtown to Bainbridge Island and back. Not as much nature sighting as the trip to the San Juans, but a fun short trip and a nice view of Seattle.

Old May 17th, 2003, 06:48 PM

Definately hit the EMP. (Experience Music Project) Awesome music museum. I can't remember the names of the nicer places we ate. I do remember the manhattan. we had an app and a cocktail there. Also check out charle's or ed's or something near peer 66. best fish and chips in town. as for watering holes the pike pub brewery is cool and also fado's is a cool irish pub. and if you can get the chance to do a day trip to victoria it is WELL worth it. Especially in july
Old May 17th, 2003, 06:48 PM

We did the ferry leaving in the am visited Victoria for the day and returned in the evening. A long day but worth it. We also visited Mount Rainer. What a beautiful place. In Seattle, the salmon ladders and the ship locks are very interesting. The fish market is a wild scene and is worth a visit. Seattle is a great city . Enjoy.
Old May 17th, 2003, 06:57 PM

Don't miss:

1) Mt. Rainer and if time, Mt. St. Helens

2) Whale Watching (we did it from Port Townsend - take the ferry from Whidbey Island)

3) Pikes Place - Fish Throwers Market!!!

4)A Mariners game....Safeco Field ROCKS...with yummy salmon!!
Old May 18th, 2003, 09:39 AM

Trips to Mt. Ranier or Mt. St. Helens or the San Juans are 1+ day trips if you are going to see much. I suggest a ferry ride to Bainbridge Island, have lunch, and be back in time to do something else. Pike Place market is a must. EMP is the ugliest building in the world but is interesting (though expensive) if you like Rock music. If not, pass. Pioneer Square is fun. Space needle is good if it's clear, othewise not worth it (restaurant is fair, at best). Lots of good seafood restaurants. Etta's, Anthony's, Ray's Boathouse. Have fun!
Old May 18th, 2003, 09:49 AM

I would agree that Mt. Rainier is hard to do in one day, but if you just drive to Sunrise, see the snow, etc. & head back, you can do it. The San Juans also make for a very long day & I agree, don't try it on a weekend. But Orcas is very beautiful & worth it if you can get there. I've never found Snoqualmie Falls to be that inspiring. If you take the ferry to Bainbridge and don't take a car, it's a nice roundtrip ride to a cute, walkable little town. Another nice ferry/car trip would be ferry to Whidbey Island w/your car from Mukilteo, puttering around in the little towns there, driving back to the mainland via Deception Pass & then drive back to Seattle.

For fusion cuisine, don't miss Flying Fish. Ray's has a gorgeous sunset view & if you eat upstairs in the cafe, you get the same view for a much cheaper price. Have a great time!
Old May 19th, 2003, 08:32 PM

Thanks Rhardy!!! Anthony's..thats it!! best fish and chips in town. near pier 66